Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
LifeMadePortable

Carbon 337 Lug Nut Torque

Hello all.

BRAND new to the RV world here. My wife and I are full-timers right out the gates, with a brand-new '19 5th wheel 337.

There's a warning about wheel separation, stating that I need to torque the lug nuts. Problem is, there's a side note about 9/16ths studs receiving a different torque level and I have no idea which studs mount our wheels.

We've searched the manual which is where we found this hiccup.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
LifeMadePortable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
xrated

You might take a flashlight and shine it on the end of one of the studs. On my trailer, it is stamped...1/2"......yours might be stamped also. Also, check the Keystone manual for the torque setting for whichever size stud your trailer has.

On a side note......was your avatar pic taken up on Deals Gap?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
OregonDuck

I was also confused. I believe most models Keystone manufactures are 1/2"? When I was looking into this I found this video. Don't know if it would be of any help, but here it is anyhow: https://youtu.be/NpOWLMA2NpE
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
LifeMadePortable

@xrated ... it is indeed Deals Gap. I operate a sport touring motorcycle site where we run paid group tours. The dragon is an optional excursion, though I MUCH prefer the Charahala or even better, our Blue Ridge Parkway alternate (hardly even touches the BRP).

Anyhow ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the lugs so as to see the studs but if that's required, so be it.

Are the figures etched into EVERY studs?

Oh ... and you know what? Let's make sure of this ... the stud is the threaded rod that the lugs tighten onto, yes?

(no harm makin' sure we're wrenching in the same language, so to speak)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
bobbecky

Most likely your rig has Dexter 7,000 lb axles that have 1/2" studs, and the final torque should be 120 ft lbs. As far as I know, they have not used axles with 9/16 studs for a long time.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeMadePortable View Post
@xrated ... it is indeed Deals Gap. I operate a sport touring motorcycle site where we run paid group tours. The dragon is an optional excursion, though I MUCH prefer the Charahala or even better, our Blue Ridge Parkway alternate (hardly even touches the BRP).

Anyhow ... I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the lugs so as to see the studs but if that's required, so be it.

Are the figures etched into EVERY studs?

Oh ... and you know what? Let's make sure of this ... the stud is the threaded rod that the lugs tighten onto, yes?

(no harm makin' sure we're wrenching in the same language, so to speak)
That sounds like a pretty cool business adventure to be in. From my driveway to the start of the section of U.S. 129 that folks call the Dragon, which is Tabcat Bridge where the road turns away from the lake and starts up the mountain is.........18 miles. Needless to say, I've been through there a few times myself.

And yes, we are both on the same page....the "threaded rod" part is what we are talking about. And honestly, I don't know if they are all marked or not. I went out to look at mine a while back and the first stud I looked at had the stamping on it....1/2".....and I never bothered to look at the rest of them. I bought a 120 ft. lb. torque stick for my 1/2" drive impact wrench and keep it stowed in the trailer storage compartment.

I've not ridden in the Chattanooga area on the motorcycle before....we usually take the bicycles when we go there....or do a bit of hiking in the area. The last time we were there we stayed at the Holiday Travel Park....just a mile or so south of the 1-24 and I-75 junction. It's a nice campground and pretty centrally located for the area.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
notanlines

Okay, this is a long way off topic, but once an old fart has ridden both directions of "the Tail" with passenger and dog in the sidecar, on the same morning, it is easy to see how your shoulders end up in the condition they are. Flat-steer Road Kings with sidecars are better relegated to "The Mighty Python," I believe it is Virginia 58E. It is also a wonderful ride and a lot easier with a sidecar!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Okay, this is a long way off topic, but once an old fart has ridden both directions of "the Tail" with passenger and dog in the sidecar, on the same morning, it is easy to see how your shoulders end up in the condition they are. Flat-steer Road Kings with sidecars are better relegated to "The Mighty Python," I believe it is Virginia 58E. It is also a wonderful ride and a lot easier with a sidecar!
Jim, I've been on 58 in VA several times over the years on motorcycles, and it's an awesome road. It's been a while since I've had the motorcycle up that way, but it's on the list of places to enjoy again.

And I can see that riding a bike that you literally have to steer through the corners would wear a fellow out....vs. counter-steering and leaning through those corners.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
LifeMadePortable

*temporarily* BACK TO THE LUGS! (LOL ... we can have to convos at once) ...

If I post a picture of the rims, would you folks know what I'm workin' with? I also plan to call the dealership.

As for the dragon, I really don't "enjoy" riding the dragon unless it's void of activity. Too many slow rollers police it and too many unskilled hooligans want to knock it off the docket.

It's an option for our signups ... but only an option. I much prefer this, taken from our vodcast on the "advanced-only" routes ...

The forum's forced embed doesn't make use of my intended video start time (21:09), so you'll have to do that yourself if you want to see the side-convo point I opted to use in this response ...

... we'll be running the tour again come Spring.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Forum keeps forcing an embed and I selected a specific start point, so lose the space before "watch": youtube.com /watch?v=SHaMqF5AQeo&t=1269s
No need to try to "cheat the forum" by posting links with a space. Just post the link, if it's not a permitted site, we'll let you know just as fast as we'll let you know the "camouflaged link" is not permitted.... The moderators keep a very close eye on every (yes EVERY) post that's made on the forum, so you won't find a need to "cheat the forum" by typing phone numbers with words and numbers, email addresses with spaces or abbreviations or any other form of "circumventing the computer flags"... It's hard to avoid getting caught when a human reads every word posted on the forum.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
LifeMadePortable

As for the task at hand, it seems that 110 ~ 120 ft-lbs is the correct vague/grey variable. I figure 115 ft-lbs is a fine target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No need to try to "cheat the forum" by posting links with a space. Just post the link, if it's not a permitted site, we'll let you know just as fast as we'll let you know the "camouflaged link" is not permitted
I'm not even worried. I wasn't trying to cheat anything, nor was I attempting to camoflauge my link.

I simply wanted it to start at a specific point but this install of PHPBB (as it would appear) doesn't translate query params properly.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
No need to try to "cheat the forum" by posting links with a space. Just post the link, if it's not a permitted site, we'll let you know just as fast as we'll let you know the "camouflaged link" is not permitted.... The moderators keep a very close eye on every (yes EVERY) post that's made on the forum, so you won't find a need to "cheat the forum" by typing phone numbers with words and numbers, email addresses with spaces or abbreviations or any other form of "circumventing the computer flags"... It's hard to avoid getting caught when a human reads every word posted on the forum.....
Yep. Every. Single. Thread.
Do you have any idea how many times tires and A/C comes up in a week? Cross-eyed moderator rant over. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #13
xrated

Just curious Chip.....do you guys divide it up by sections......each mod takes so many sections and another mod takes some other sections and so on.....or do you all read the entire thing? Might be time for the Evelyn Wood speed reading course! You probably will only understand that if you are an old guy like me!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:33 AM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just curious Chip.....do you guys divide it up by sections......each mod takes so many sections and another mod takes some other sections and so on.....or do you all read the entire thing? Might be time for the Evelyn Wood speed reading course! You probably will only understand that if you are an old guy like me!
No divide and conquer. It takes all of us to catch everything.

I had Evelyn Woods in high school. Most practical class next to typing I ever took. Still use it a lot. For example, I finished reading your post before you finished typing it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I had to drop out of that course, I wasn’t able to slow down and I ran out of reading material the second day.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #16
xrated

Funny guys ^^^^^ both of you. I had a friend years ago that like to watch commercials and then make up his own version of it. I still remember the Evelyn Wood satire that he came up with.

<<<<Speaking very slowly and not sure of the words>>>> "I've been to the Evelyn Woodhead sped redding cusre. My comprension has imprahved 100......per cent." He actually did pretty much the entire thing....I just don't remember it all!

Old 10-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Funny guys ^^^^^ both of you. I had a friend years ago that like to watch commercials and then make up his own version of it. I still remember the Evelyn Wood satire that he came up with.

<<<<Speaking very slowly and not sure of the words>>>> "I've been to the Evelyn Woodhead sped redding cusre. My comprension has imprahved 100......per cent." He actually did pretty much the entire thing....I just don't remember it all!
That looks like the young'uns texting today, they have no clue how to spell or use punctuation. I've had teachers tell me they need translators to read some of the essays, yea even the ones written in english.
Back to the OP, if I recall 9/16" lugs to 140 lbs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
xrated

Quote:
As for the task at hand, it seems that 110 ~ 120 ft-lbs is the correct vague/grey variable. I figure 115 ft-lbs is a fine target.

I'm not even worried. I wasn't trying to cheat anything, nor was I attempting to camoflauge my link.

I simply wanted it to start at a specific point but this install of PHPBB (as it would appear) doesn't translate query params properly.
So, did you ever find a stamping on the stud to verify that it is indeed 1/2"?

Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #19
bobbecky

All you need to do is take a caliper or micrometer, size it against the outside of the threads, of course with the lug nut off, and it will read .500", or very close to that, or it will read .562", or very close to that too. .500" is 1/2", and .562" is 9/16".
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Do you lube your lugs?
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote