Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
WanderOne

60 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard

Hi,

I am looking to add a Progressive Dynamics (PD9260CV) 60 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard to my system to power up my batteries with generator much faster than they would with stock Converter/charger. I see many setups where the new systems are in the storage close to the battery. Where is it best to place this new unit? Just replace old one under stove. Or place it closer to batteries?
WanderOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would just swap them out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
WanderOne

I am looking to install the New Charge converter close to batteries as that is best for faster charging.

I am wondering about taking out old charge controller when I install the new InteliPower. Can I just disconnect all wires and remove it? I was thinking that it is needed to power 12V system when we have hookups?

Then I wondering about how we charge batteries when hooked up to shore power, with relocated Charge Controller? Second Cord just to the Converter? Or how I might grab power that is part of the system when we are hooked up.

At the end of the day my goal is to:

1) be able to plug RV into Shore power and have batteries getting charged.

2) be able to plug RV main Plug into Champion Generator and have batteries getting charged.

3) Have New Charge Controller close to batter bank in front Storage (4 6v Trojans)
WanderOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
bobbecky

You will gain nothing by relocating the converter closer to the batteries. That short distance does not impede getting the batteries charged any faster, plus the hassle of trying to wire all the 120 volt wiring and the other wires to the converter will not be easy, for little to no benefit. Just swap out the converter where it is and your batteries will be happy.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power