Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
cayovelez

Black tank flush Issue

Hello all,

I flush my black tank every week and half or so. I live in my RV 13 weeks at a time for work. This past week I went to flush my black tank as I have done for a long time and nothing. There are no leaks. I changed my vaccum valve today as those things a fluckey. I have checked everywhere and the is no leaks and new valve is not sticking, and the hose that I am connecting to the flush has water coming out( I tried it with both pressure regulator and straight hose). Nothing!!! Seems like there is a blockage somewhere. Don't know what else I can do.

Thanks
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Lee

Hi,.... When you replaced the valve..... Are you confident you installed it the correct direction? If it's backward no water will flow.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I use the Flush King to help with cleaning the tank. I have a factory installed tank rinser but also use the Flush King a couple times a year. It always seems to break loose more debris after the tank runs clear from the factory unit. You do need to monitor it that you don't overfill the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush_King.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24357  
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
cayovelez

Thank you! Yes I am very sure. With my set up is almost impossible to invert the vaccum valve. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
cayovelez

I like that setup, however I would have to remove the underbelly to install that valve. Thanks, wish it was summer!
Old 11-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
Thank you! Yes I am very sure. With my set up is almost impossible to invert the vaccum valve. Thanks.
The factory does it on a regular basis.
The valve being referred to is probably up under your sink cabinet, you will not have to remove the underbelly to reverse it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
cayovelez

I have replaced it before with a camco vaccum valve that failed, this time I used the oem factory one made by BAK.

I believe there is some blockage in the flushing line. When I turn the water it the hose just pressurizes but no flow of water.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is it kinked?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
cayovelez

No kink.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen the tank sprayer get clogged with toilet paper and “stuff”. You might try removing the line from the anti siphon valve that goes to the tank. Use low pressure air (15-20 PSI) to see if the line is clogged or kinked.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
cayovelez

The line that i have been connecting to flush since I owned this rv have been working perfectly until 2 days ago.

" The water line going into flush pressurizes but no flushing sound" Line stays pressurized" It seems as if there is a blockage on the flush line inside the tank, but a good block that does not become dislodged with the water pressure going in.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
cayovelez

Thanks, I was thinking on doing that. I was just not sure if that was a good idea and also not sure what pressure to use.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

If the line has been working "until just recently" then chances are it's not a damaged or kinked line. My guess with that information is that it's either a stuck anti-siphon valve or a blockage inside the tank that's covering the spray nozzle. Occasionally, if conditions are right, toilet paper can wrap around the spray nozzle, dry in place and it's very difficult to get it "unstuck".

I'd first remove the anti-siphon valve and shake it. You should hear the piston rattling inside. If you do, great, if not, the rubber seal may have "glued itself to the valve body"... If it's stuck, I'd just buy another valve. Some people go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy parts to construct a more durable valve, some buy an expensive brass valve some just buy a replacement from their RV dealership. At any rate, if it "ain't rattling" then it's likely your problem.

As for getting "dried blockage" off the spray nozzle. Lots of water, time to soak and maybe some "enzyme cleaner/RIDEX" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

I'd try filling with water, a cup of Dawn and a cup of fabric sooner and let it set overnight. If that doesn't loosen it up then at the end of your next 13 wk rotation repeat and let it stand for a few days and see if that does the trick.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #15
cayovelez

I just installed yesterday a brand new working oem(BAK) antisiphon valve. Installed it correctly. I am going to try air this weekend and see. If that doesn't work I will try Dawn and fabric softner with a couple 5 gallon warm water buckets and see.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #16
cayovelez

John,

Thanks for your suggestions. I spent a couple of hours on and off pushing air to try to clear the clog. It did not work. My black tank did not seem that dirty, I cleaned it by filling it via toilet several times. When done water coming out of it was clear, however still clogged and won't rinse. The clean water hose gets pressurized but no flow after pressure builds.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Time for the enzyme treatment. In this weather it may take a couple of weeks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
John,

Thanks for your suggestions. I spent a couple of hours on and off pushing air to try to clear the clog. It did not work. My black tank did not seem that dirty, I cleaned it by filling it via toilet several times. When done water coming out of it was clear, however still clogged and won't rinse. The clean water hose gets pressurized but no flow after pressure builds.
Did you remove the new anti-siphon valve, shake it and confirm that it "rattles" ? I've seen, probably 30% of the new valves that are "stuck" and water won't flow until you "shake hell out of it to get it loosened up"... Might not be your problem, but sure is easier than diving into the underbelly !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #19
cayovelez

John,

Both the new and the old antisiphon rattle. I opted on putting in the new B&B one which is the one Keystone uses. It is driving me crazy because a week ago or so I was rinsing tank with no issues, working as intended. Parked the camper for 1 week with about 1/2 tank full drove from portland to Olympia and now my rinser does not work. I flushed my tank yesterday via toilet until water came out clean and tank level showed empty. Pushed air on the outflow side for a coiuple of hours and it is not working.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

At this point I would use an enzyme like rid-x. Let it sit “full” as long as possible. I have had to remove the sprayer and use a pick and air to clear the holes, it wasnt fun.

Tags
black tank, tank