Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
jkugler

Retrofitting outdoor kitchen for generator storage?

We're looking at a Keystone Travel Trailer for purchase soon, and figure, being in Alaska, we'll end up doing our share of boon docking. We're pulling with a full-size van so cannot carry a generator in the bed of the truck. I'm leaning toward a 3000-watt class generator, and as far as I can tell, those *will* not fit in the front pass-through storage.

Which brings me to: we do not anticipate using the outdoor kitchen (which it seems EVERY trailer comes with these days), so I came up with this idea: take out the refrigerator and pull-out stove, and put a generator in there. I'd cover the walls with sound foam, put in two high-CFM fans (intake and exhaust) to keep it cool and bring in fresh air. The LPG is even run there, if I want to run the generator on propane. I could even run 30AMP wire up to the electrical panel so I don't have to run a plug to it when we set up camp.

I figured to reduce heat further, I could even extend the exhaust pipe and vent it outside the chamber. Maybe underneath the trailer?

Anyway, just some thoughts. Has anyone attempted this? I'd be interested in your ideas!
jkugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

FYI, most onboard generator cubbies are metal lined to help prevent fire. That said, there are plenty of threads about people with 5ers putting generators in the front cubby like you are talking about. Dont try to use the flimsy shelf that is installed in most of them. I removed my outdoor fridge and store a Honda 2000 in there while camped but don't trust the shelf to hold while traveling.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
jkugler

Ah, yeah, metal lining would probably be a greatly thing to do.

My first thought was just to use that outdoor-kitchen for storage of the generator, which I might still do. But then I thought...why not leave it there while running, etc.?

Whether I mounted it, or did storage-only, I would certainly remove all the shelving and make sure I installed something more secure so it would hold while traveling.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
CampNBrew2

I like the idea. You are on the right track just watch the fireproofing. Some of that foam can be touchy. The previous owner of my last trailer installed sheet styrofoam around the gen thinking it would quiet it, but it just shrunk and bowed from the heat. It was a generac 4k in its own metal enclosure too.

Weird side note- I have a good friend that is also a J. Kugler.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
jkugler

Yeah, the foam will certainly have to be fire/heat proof.

Your friend doesn't happen to be a Joshua, does he?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
CampNBrew2

Check out some of the posts from the 5ers putting gens in the front cubbies. Some great installs.
No its James, originally from FL.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
travelin texans

Most 5ers are designed to put a generator in the front with minimal modifications, your outdoor kitchen was designed to be just that, a kitchen. You'll need to to line it with metal with no gaps, add lots if insulation all around sides + top & bottom to prevent the noise & exhaust fumes entering the living space & still not sure I'd feel comfortable with it in that spot with my family sleeping next to it with a 1-2" hollow interior wall separating us.
I personally think it would be easier & safer to have a rack welded to the frame on the rear of the RV & use the kitchen area for storage as your 1st idea.
Just my .02 cents worth!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
jkugler

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, certainly my first tack would be just using it for storage. I'll have to see what it would take to get a rack back there. I've heard conflicting things about how much the bumper will take in weight. I might have to get something welded to the frame.

The other thing I was thinking was that it would be a little more hidden when traveling if I stored it in the kitchen cubby.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Desert Dog

Definitely an interesting idea. For me though, even if I satisfied all of the safety issues regarding fire and exhaust fumes, I would think that the noise in the adjacent room would be horrendous.
Desert Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
jkugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
Definitely an interesting idea. For me though, even if I satisfied all of the safety issues regarding fire and exhaust fumes, I would think that the noise in the adjacent room would be horrendous.
Yeah, I'd certainly have to figure out a good way to insulate for noise. Probably storage would be the best route for now.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:53 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

There's a reason rv gensets cost what they do. A $300 HF generator is not built to work in an enclosed, or semi enclosed situation. Typically the outdoor kitchen walls are not insulated to having the door open in cold conditions will make for a very cold space on the other side of that wall. Given the obvious dangers (and most likely refusal of an insurance claim if it goes bad) I would think having a hitch welded to the frame for a stable generator platform would be your best bet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

If you go through with it I like your idea of fresh air intake and exhaust pipe. But I would urge the exhaust pipe be to the roof and not underneath the TT. Those small inverter gens do not weigh much, I would think with the stove and Ref. removed as about an equal trade. Sounds like an interesting idea.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd consider the location of the outdoor kitchen to be the most negative aspect of installing a generator. Every outdoor kitchen I've seen is "in the center of the outside living space" (meaning under the awning, right where people sit to socialize).... Installing a generator there would mean that campers would be "sitting around the generator" rather than around the campfire... Definitely NOT what I'd want to experience on any camping trip. Having the family sitting under the awning, DW inside cooking supper, lots of hungry kids yelling over the generator so DW can use the microwave ???? Nope, not conducive to "sane camping"... For us, that would make for "insane camping"...

Then, to have the exhaust "blowing over the kids as they sit, waiting for supper ??? Is that OK??? Not on my watch.....

I'd think long and hard about installing a "cheap inverter generator" (that includes Honda and Yamaha) so close to where people will be sitting, under the awning.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage