Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 AM   #1
Jayster10

Bridge and Overpass Route Planning

Hi everyone,

I have seen a lot of posts about clearance and best routes so I thought I would offer a recommendation. I’m relatively new to 5er driving and read about an app that has helped me make sure I stay clear of any low bridges or over passes. It’s called Copilot. It like a google maps for RVs. You enter in your RV dimensions when you create your profile and then you use it like any other gps nav system. It automatically creates a route for you that will ensure RV clearance along your route. It’s free to use, in app purchase for extra features, but really easy to use. I’m not trying to sell it, I have no connection to the app but just wanted to tell anyone who could use it. Being new to RVs it has helped take some of that fear away from hitting something to low.
Jayster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Sinton4616

Following.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
Sinton4616

Reading the feedback and FAQ on Copilot. Website states:
The RV/Caravan profile that was previously available in Auto and Truck apps was limited in its functionality and not designed to take into consideration dimensions for weight, width or length when calculating a route.

Feedback from users of this profile led us to create the CoPilot RV/Caravan app which provides RV/Caravan safe routing by permitting users to enter dimensions for their vehicle and obtain appropriate routing to avoid low bridges, narrow roads, and weight restricted roads.

Our latest CoPilot GPS update benefits from a redesigned user experience that makes it possible for all types of vehicle navigation to be supported from a single app including our fully featured RV/Caravan navigation.

At CoPilot we believe that offering both a limited RV/Caravan profile as well as a fully featured profile in a single app would cause confusion for our users, and therefore the decision was made to remove the limited RV/Caravan profile from existing Auto and Truck profiles.

We encourage users of RVs/Caravans to explore the benefits of our fully featured RV/Caravan profile via a free 14 day trial in the CoPilot GPS app. (Creation of a new CoPilot ID will be required in order to do so)

https://support.copilotgps.com/en/su...copilot-v10-10

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

The Garmin RV GPS units are great.switch to car mode when not towing. I update 4 times a year-- free lifetime updates.
Saved my butt twice when Google on my wife's phone put me in a problem situation. The new model 485 can be updated by plugging into a computer or by wifi.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Getn off

Co-piolt has let me down on my current trip. Lead me down a road limited to 10 tons, first off (signage was midpoint fyi), then through a residential area with small 1 lane bridges and very low overhangs. Indeed, I did lose my TV antenna. I purchased the RV app. Very disappointed in it. Will try to get my money back, but I am sure that is like farting in the wind.
Might check out Garmin next.
What sold me was all of the great reviews. I guess they are always good until it doesnt work for you.
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	22692  
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote