Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
CJ7Bob

Black tank over fill ?

I recently over filled the black water tank and didn't realize it (because gauge never works) until I noticed the under belly cover bulging and water dripping out. Is that the way they are designed to over flow or is there something wrong on top of the tank? I thought it would have backup in the toilet. I do have the cover partially removed and washed out just waiting for it to dry out.
CJ7Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Canonman

Actually, there should be two relief options to the black tank. The bowl and the vent.
Can't help much with the tank bulging an leaking. Only thing I would try at this point is removing koroplast under the tank and refilling it while watching for the issue to present itself. While you have things accessible up you might check into why your tank level indicators don't work. They are usually easy to troubleshoot and fix once you have the bottom opened up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cliff Lake 2018 2.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	563.9 KB
ID:	18003  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your black tank doesn’t have an “overflow”. I take it you were using the rinser? If you were just using the tank under normal conditions and it should have backed up to the toilet as you flushed it. If you were using the rinser, then it will fill the tank, and depending on how far the vent tube is inserted it will start pressurizing the tank. It won’t come out the toilet because there is a seal.

What exactly were you “doing” when you noticed the problem?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
CJ7Bob

We were actually filling the tank through the toilet with a garden hose to add a tank & sensor cleaner before hitting the road. The tank was fuller than expected and over filled it . May have pushed the seal you mention out.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you had a garden hose down the toilet then it would have backed up into the bowl. The bowl would be “open” with the hose holding the “flap” ajar.

I’m afraid you may have bigger issues. I would take enough of the underbelly off for a good look at the tank. Drain and refill, watching for leaks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The black tank is a "closed container" meaning it will not leak "poo" into the underbelly under normal circumstances. As long as the system is working as designed, the only place contents should be capable of exiting the tank is the drain valve. There are two other openings, the toilet connection and the rooftop vent connection. Both of those should not vent tank contents to the outside. So, if your tank is leaking into the underbelly, you've either got a loose connection or a split tank. There are other "permanently closed" connections to the black tank, the flush port and the sensor ports, but they typically are not going to leak.

As suggested above, I'd take a long, thorough look at the tank sides and top as well as both the toilet and vent fittings, where they enter the black tank. What you're experiencing is not normal, is a health hazard and shouldn't occur.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Bob View Post
We were actually filling the tank through the toilet with a garden hose to add a tank & sensor cleaner before hitting the road. The tank was fuller than expected and over filled it . May have pushed the seal you mention out.
Once you've repaired your black, the next time add a healthy squirt of Dawn dish soap & a couple gallons of water, through the toilet flush pedal, travel to next spot, this works great at cleaning the tank, good luck with the sensors telling you anything except a couple of the little red lights work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
CJ7Bob

Toilet and vent connections looked good but I think it is a split at the top corner of the tank. Previous owner may have caused it with the tank sprayer, he told me he used it all the time.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #9
mazboy

is your tank cracked? water in the belly? is it black or gray water--the smell.

as for gagues, they never work. figure out when to dump and do it! we can go at least 2 weeks but it is just the 2 of us.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just a note, my gauges work as designed. Always have, from day 1. Not all of the sensor applications are crap. Some or many is more descriptive and correct. YMMV. Mine doesn't.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Just a note, my gauges work as designed. Always have, from day 1. Not all of the sensor applications are crap. Some or many is more descriptive and correct. YMMV. Mine doesn't.
X2. And 99% of the RVs I have worked on.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
CJ7Bob

After getting back under it again this morning I did find the crack on top of the tank. It is pretty accessible so I'll start looking for a good tank patch kit. The gauge on the black water tank has showed full since the day I brought it used, I checked connection on them while under it. I put about 5 gallons of hot water in the tank, let it set about 30 minutes ran the spray bar, still showed full. Put 20 lbs of crushed ice and a couple gallons of water and pulled trailer 150 miles, must have cleaned the sensors off it seems to be working again.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal on both counts.

Just had a class C that gray wouldn’t read at all. Hot water/ Dawn ultra and a drive around the block....BAM!!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
mhbell

Long story short

A couple of years ago while flushing black tank on a Jayco Designer I got distracted by a Neighbor and over filled my black tank until it spread the rails and fell out the bottom breaking the pipes and ripping the koroplast. It shot poo out the top vent and all over the awning and roof. What a mess.
Mel
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
JWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
A couple of years ago while flushing black tank on a Jayco Designer I got distracted by a Neighbor and over filled my black tank until it spread the rails and fell out the bottom breaking the pipes and ripping the koroplast. It shot poo out the top vent and all over the awning and roof. What a mess.
Mel
Hate to admit it but I did the same thing on our last trailer. When I opened the valve the pressure straightened out drain hose and cleaned the tank GOOD. But waste water forced its way between floor covering and floor in the bath that I did not see until floor got soft. Moral of story don't get distracted when flushing tanks. Also as a side note tank indicators have worked on all my trailers for past 15 years.
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #16
eerkescircus

I am sure all of this can be avoided if you keep the valve open when using the tank flush.
Ours says right on it leave the valve open.
eerkescircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Bob View Post
I recently over filled the black water tank and didn't realize it (because gauge never works) until I noticed the under belly cover bulging and water dripping out. Is that the way they are designed to over flow or is there something wrong on top of the tank? I thought it would have backup in the toilet. I do have the cover partially removed and washed out just waiting for it to dry out.
Haven't had an issue with blank tank overfill since I stopped going to the Mexican resturant on the all you can eat beef and bean burrito night.
Soorry, couldn't stop myself (pun intendid).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
Alpine

Yup, all my tanks & sensors have worked from day one for 5 plus years...….they just have not worked properly!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #19
lmf580

Tank repair

Ther is a product online call Plasti Mend it works very well on the plastic that the tanks are made of. I used it on m black water tank. It sets up very fast. Comes as a kit.
lmf580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Mel
I set an 8 minute timer on my phone. I've verified that with my hose and the pressure regulator on it, that's how long i need for a good fill, so i can flush.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank