Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
RayT

Even if it were legal I wouldn't allow anyone to ride in our 5th wheel. I don't even let anyone ride in any of our vehicles without buckling up.
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
vampress_me

Not quite the same, but many years ago when hubby and I got our first horse trailer I rode in the back with my yearling for her first ride - about 5 miles. I was young and stupid (early 20’s), and wanted to see how she did and what it was like in the trailer. It was a 2 lane highway outside Laramie, WY at 55 mph, and was a fairly smooth road.

Let’s just say I’m amazed every time when the horses get in the trailer, that they willingly go in. On the flip side, that has made me very aware of the road conditions when hauling the horses, so when needed, I do slow down over bumps for the sake of their legs.

I will never ride in the fifth wheel, or allow anyone else to. That one trailer ride I took was enough. And I’ve seen the photos of wrecked campers from accidents. I would rather our family be in a metal vehicle built with accident safety in mind rather than a fiberglass/ aluminum shell that’s not.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #23
Liza Powell

I just tried it in our Raptor

My husband is recovering from a compression fracture in his lumbar spine and is not entirely comfortable driving or riding in our truck yet. So I asked this question recently on my favorite Facebook group. I was bombarded by similar responses to those that I see here. I did a little research online about 5th wheel crash/fatality statistics and found nothing to warrant such hysteria. Yes, different states have different laws about it. But no, I’m not convinced that riding in the 5th wheel is any more dangerous than riding in a truck hauling a 5th wheel.

1) It appears that there are significantly less fatalities in RV accidents than in ordinary vehicle accidents.
2) Most of the 5th wheel accidents I read about and viewed online involved trucks tipping over or being crushed beneath tractor trailers, and it appears to be quite uncommon for 5th wheel hitches to fail.
3) Most trailer accidents appear to be extremely preventable. (Incorrect weight/towing capacity ratios).
4) Consider the fact that Class A motorhomes are not crash rated, have no protection in front end collisions and a multitude of potential projectiles present in the event of a crash. And yet nobody questions the wisdom of riding in them.

I decided to try it out today. My husband drove while I rode, laying down on the bed in the nose of the trailer. Having read so many posts by people who claimed to have done it and would “never do it again” I was absolutely amazed at how comfortable I was. We traveled about 10 miles on a very familiar route which includes many hills, curves and rough road. Absolutely delightful! I could have easily fallen asleep.

Am I going to do this routinely? No. Am I going to try it out on an interstate? Maybe. Am I annoyed by all the folks who are so adamant about the dangers and discomfort of doing this? Hell yes!
Liza Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Powell View Post
..... Am I annoyed by all the folks who are so adamant about the dangers and discomfort of doing this? Hell yes!
I haven't found a travel trailer or fifth wheel with seatbelts or air bags in all my "RV's tours". None of them are equipped with any crash testing data (other than google searches for "hey did you see that" kind of data) and none of the ones I've owned have any federal (or private) crash worthiness certification. All of my vehicles since 1968 have had seat belts and shoulder harnesses and since about 1980 have had energy absorbing features/air bags and roll over protection that has been tested and certified by insurance, private and government agencies.

Since you didn't actually ask for opinons, but are reading what people have suggested to someone else who did ask the question, pretty much you're being "overly sensitive" about what someone told someone else. People are going to give you opinions if you ask the question, but it seems that you didn't even ask. If you're annoyed by all the folks who are so adamant about the dangers and discomfort of doing this... Then maybe you asked the wrong question to this population, or maybe you just don't like the answer. In either case, people being people are entitled to their opinions. Hopefully you won't be annoyed by the responses "next time" and hopefully you won't become that "less than one tenth of one percent (0.001%) who are involved in a serious RV accident, but if you are, I hope you're safely strapped in the tow vehicle with all those air bags to protect you from injury rather than sitting or laying on the bed in a trailer, subject to being thrown around in the unlikely event of a rollover or sudden stop caused by an oncoming 18 wheeler or bridge abutment at a "safe 55MPH"...YMMV ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
bob91yj

Yep, if you don't want to hear the answers, don't ask the question.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Powell View Post
My husband is recovering from a compression fracture in his lumbar spine and is not entirely comfortable driving or riding in our truck yet. So I asked this question recently on my favorite Facebook group. I was bombarded by similar responses to those that I see here. I did a little research online about 5th wheel crash/fatality statistics and found nothing to warrant such hysteria. Yes, different states have different laws about it. But no, I’m not convinced that riding in the 5th wheel is any more dangerous than riding in a truck hauling a 5th wheel.

1) It appears that there are significantly less fatalities in RV accidents than in ordinary vehicle accidents.
2) Most of the 5th wheel accidents I read about and viewed online involved trucks tipping over or being crushed beneath tractor trailers, and it appears to be quite uncommon for 5th wheel hitches to fail.
3) Most trailer accidents appear to be extremely preventable. (Incorrect weight/towing capacity ratios).
4) Consider the fact that Class A motorhomes are not crash rated, have no protection in front end collisions and a multitude of potential projectiles present in the event of a crash. And yet nobody questions the wisdom of riding in them.

I decided to try it out today. My husband drove while I rode, laying down on the bed in the nose of the trailer. Having read so many posts by people who claimed to have done it and would “never do it again” I was absolutely amazed at how comfortable I was. We traveled about 10 miles on a very familiar route which includes many hills, curves and rough road. Absolutely delightful! I could have easily fallen asleep.

Am I going to do this routinely? No. Am I going to try it out on an interstate? Maybe. Am I annoyed by all the folks who are so adamant about the dangers and discomfort of doing this? Hell yes!

You've not traveled in an RV nor had an accident riding in one but are annoyed by those that are adamant about the dangers and discomforts of doing it based on their experiences?? Hmmm

There is very little data on the kinds of things that would be important to nail down if it was good for you....common sense says it is not even if you don't like all the reasons (good ones) that have been provided.

Here's what I do know; I have seen 4 RV accidents real time in my lifetime of driving the highways and byways. 4. One was on a little 2 lane in the middle of nowhere in the foothills on our route to our mountain home. In front of me was a pickup and the remains of a TT on the side of a rock embankment as it rose along the side of the highway. How it came unhooked I do not know. I do know the truck was sitting there as the stunned owners looked thru the trailer. The trailer was literally collapsed and almost flat. Their "stuff" was all over the side of that rock embankment and strewn about. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in the RV they would have been sifting the rocks to put them back together. Another was on I20 somewhere outside Weatherford TX. This one had apparently lost control and went off the side of the highway, went down the side and ended up in a grove of trees. The truck hit some of the trees and was on its side, the folks out and moving around. The trailer however didn't fare so well, not nearly. It had plowed into the trees and was unrecognizable. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in the trailer they would have been trying to pull his speared body out of the trees. Another was on a rural TX highway and again it appeared they had lost control, went through a barbed wire fence and rolled the truck/trailer. In this case, there were 2 folks laid out on the ground and the ambulance was there but they looked alive. The trailer was virtually disintegrated. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in that trailer they would still be....sleeping. The last one was again on I20 I believe somewhere outside Clyde, TX. It was in the median. The pickup was upright and the folks OK. The trailer was again not OK. On this one it was on its side but the roll over, or impact from careening down the median on its side, had caused it to turn into what looked like an upside down L with the top collapsed or gone and what would have been the top side angling down to meet the other side. I guess if one was peacefully sleeping in that RV they would have disappeared with the roof??

I hope you see the recurring theme; folks in truck equipped for "people" = OK. RVs pulled behind truck not equipped for people = not OK. These things stuck in my mind because I had an RV. To me it says....hmmm, these RVs don't fare well in the event of an accident. That tells me don't travel in one. On the other hand, if one sleeps peacefully in the RV and feels they are immune to disaster or fate...hey, do what floats your boat as they say.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #27
Liza Powell

My apologies and attempt to explain

I’m really sorry that I irritated some of you by saying that I was annoyed, and then making things worse by saying “hell yes!”. I truly value the opportunity to get other’s feedback and opinions, and I hate when this sort of discussion becomes contentious. So I really do sincerely apologize for being so forthright. It was a poor choice of words.

I certainly respect other people’s right to express their opinions, even if I disagree. I simply have found the INTESITY of many (not all!) people’s feedback to be over the top. Keep in mind that my comment was based partly on the abundance of feedback that I received from a different group prior to reading this thread. And try to understand that my careless comment was a knee jerk reaction to being 99% persuaded to believe that the answer to this question is a “no brainer” only to find that it’s actually rather subjective. I was honestly just trying to be helpful to the person who originally posed the question here.
Liza Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #28
TJTx

As far as I know, it is illegal. Also, it is (IMO), insane. You have no protection in the trailer when traveling. My wife and I witnessed a 5th wheel wreck on 35 coming home from Austin. The trailer literally blew apart. Your insurance may not cover you as well in the unlikely event she survives.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #29
travelin texans

If the bed is in the nose of a 5th wheel that would be the smoothest ride. Try sitting, or try to stay seated, on the couch in the rear.
I would say if that's where you want to ride, GO FOR IT! It won't hurt me one bit.
But as mentioned, when you call your insurance agent after the accident & tell him where you were riding I'm sure his response will "sorry, can't help you!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #30
TJTx

I think the intensity in RV discussions rises and falls based on the subject being discussed. In the case of riding in a trailer while moving, we are discussing life and limb and not “which portable washer” works the best. I love the people in this forum and am perfectly fine with strong opinions especially when it comes to safety. Every one here just wants good experiences for others. My original reply was based on one of the accidents I witnessed. Like Sourdough, I have seen several over the years and every one of them totalled the trailer. Unless it is very minor, almost every accident with a trailer driving at highway speeds will result in the total loss of the trailer. If you have good insurance (and you should IMO), the trailer can be replaced; Loved ones, not so much. I apologize if my reply was intense. On a lighter note, try asking if if it is OK to leave the black tank valve open when there is sewer hook-ups and sit back and watch the Christmas tree get lit up ( never gets old) ��
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

A few years ago there was a thread asking, "Is it OK to let my dog ride in my RV?"

The answers ranged from "hell, why not" to "You'll be the worst pet owner ever, if you even consider it".... People were "beyond over the top" with reasons why their "Spot" or "Spotkins" was far too valuable to them, both emotionally and also from a loving perspective" to even consider such a thing....

Now, we're asking, "Is it OK for my wife or husband or children to do what we'd never allow to happen to our dog??????" Sometimes I'm glad we retired to the woods and don't have a lot of neighbors.... Hmmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:13 AM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Hmmmmmmmm....let my wife ride in the trailer........
Not even going to go there.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

Soungs like a ride to divorce court if you ask me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #34
madmaxmutt

Here is a 11 1/2 minutes of your life, you will never get back.

https://youtu.be/UNMxDQ_UeKM
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Funny story about slides while towing.

Guy buys a used class C motorhome, one small slide at rear drivers side. During the walkthrough he says him and 4 buddies are going to road trip from Bay Area to Georgia, taking turns driving. Asks me if it’s okay to have the slide out so the whole bed could be used.

He honestly had a deer in the headlight look when I explained that he would exceed the width limit for any vehicle without a permit. It was an interesting walk to say the least. Can’t make this stuff up, LOVE my job, meet the most interesting people.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote