Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
mjmill

Rearview camera install

Wondering if anyone has experience installing a rear view wireless camera to their travel trailer? Spoke with a technician from an on-line company that sells these. He tells me many that purchase a rear view camera replace the middle running light on the back of the camper with the camera. Tells me that their camera has a 3 inch mounting bracket which is indeed the same as the light bracket. Would like to know how much goes into the re-wiring of the camera and the actual mounting. Appreciate any and all input.
mjmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Pmedic4

Rear Facing Camera

I've done two. The easy one was on my current fifthwheel, and it comes pre-wired and camera mounting installed already, the bad part, perhaps relative, is the cost for this system which is made by Furrion. The positive part of this is how simple it is to install with the prepared setup. In that case, I just took the cover off with 4 screws, inserted the wire into the connector and screwed the camera into where the cover previously installed. The only had part of that is the wire is about 8 feet long, and I had to push all that wire into the hole to make room for the camera. The monitor was simple plug-in, and turn on. Done.

The first one I did is what you are talking about.

I will say, if the camera mount will directly replace the existing clearance light, that may make it much simpler? I had to make a small aluminum bracket, to mount the camera, and then ran the wire from the camera to the clearance light. I sealed it all up with clear silicon caulk on the filon (fiberglass covering), and used the wireless antenna to connect to the monitor. The monitor only took about 10 minutes to setup the connection.
Negatives of this is the reception from the wireless was spotty. Sometimes it was nice and clear, other times, just static. It was however a very inexpensive setup, and only cost about $50 versus the Furrion Observation system which was $375. There are antenna boosters which I was considering for the original one, but traded in my RV on the new one with the Furrion mount. Should note, the old RV was only 27' from truck bed to rear camera, which made the wireless possible(kind of?).

I had also considered a license plate mount camera, but I didn't think it would give as good of view as the higher up mounted camera of the clearance light. Also thought higher camera mount would have better wireless signal. The license plate mount makes a wired connection easier, at least in my case.

Hope this helps.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
KSH

I bought one from costco. Industrial double stick velcro. Wired to the lights. It works fine when parking. Not great while driving. About 4years and its still on the back of the trailer.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #4
hdrolling

I installed one on our raptor, easy to install. We left the third light and drilled a hole below it and then tapped into the brake light power that was there, the truck lights have to be on for it to work this way but we always have them on when towing anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13413599_10154239158075786_643461592809285260_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	17830   Click image for larger version

Name:	13417687_10154239158065786_284776041838898740_n.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	17831   Click image for larger version

Name:	13423930_10154239158135786_2142349428764523113_n.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	17832  

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Bisjoe

I bought a wifi camera made to go onto the rear license plate bracket. Instead, I fabricated a plastic "L" plate to mount it on, then use velcro to attach it to the inside of my back window when towing. I used a 12 volt lighter type plug and simply plug it into the 12 volt outlet next to the TV connections. To view it, I have an old android phone that I stick onto a dashtop mount below the truck's rear view mirror. I did this because we have so much rain, and backup cameras tend to be blurry or even totally useless when rain splashes onto them. So far this season there have already been two trips where it rained for at least part of the tow. With this setup I can easily see if someone is behind me and it's even somewhat helpful when backing since I can view the spare tire that sticks out the farthest.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I have installed several. I remove the screws on the middle running light. I pull it out some and then get hold of a black wire and white wire connecting the light. I cut the wires with enough still connected to the light to make a later reconnect. Then screw the rear view camera to the trailer next to the light. Generally have to mod the little shroud so the camera can see to the rear; it won't pivot enough with the shroud in place and then cut the camera wires to about 6" and use a bit of heat shrink to cover the wires and connect the wires to the running light wires and leads from the trailer. I solder them and then notch the running light frame so the camera wire can slip into the notch and tuck all wires back where the running light wires were. I then silicon around the running light.

BUY A GOOD QUALITY CAMERA/MONITOR. Lots of the eBay stuff is just junk. That is one of the reasons I have more experience doing this job than I should have bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote