Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
cavediver

Bad TV cable

I have a 2017 Bullet premier 26rbpr. The TV cable that runs from the rear of the trailer to the TV has a open in it. I changed both ends hoping that it might have been a broken center lead, but still the same. I bought the trailer used, and never checked it. My question is has anyone tried to pull in a new cable using the old one? And did it work?
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I assume you have checked that cable for continuity with a meter in determining there is open in the cable. I am out in a campsite where a camper with a 2017 Bullet premiere was tracing his single cable from the outside to the internal entertainment center, for him it was a straight route from the rig side connector into to belly area and up into the entertainment center, straight easy shot. In this simple example he could have used the old cable to pull the new if needed
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
cavediver

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did use a meter to check the cable. I hope that there isn't a screw through it. Mine seems to run up toward the ceiling. There is a marker light just above the outside cable input. Maybe I can use that as a pull point, if not I'll run one through the belly.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
C.LeeNick

In our new 197 RB, Keystone/Passport had routed cables from the TV to the stereo, but for some reason, they used a cable that went from the "out" on the stereo to the "in" on the TV, rather than the other way around. Why anyone would want to listen to the stereo over the TV speakers is beyond me. My guess is they put the cables in, and then ended up installing a TV with a different connector for the output (it's an earphone jack output connector, rather than RCA cables). The installed cable was long, and I was able to tape a new cable to it, pull it through, and get my new cable fed that way. It went through the ceiling, through maybe one or two ceiling "beams" or "joists", however they would be called. Granted, the entire distance was something like 3-4 feet, but it was pretty apparent by the way the cables were pointed going through the holes that it wasn't a straight shot. There was an angle there somewhere. Luckily, the existing cable was long enough it I was able to make the pull without pulling the existing cable completely out, so after disconnecting the new cable from the old, I could still pull the slack back and have both cables installed and operational. Since the the little wire antenna connected to the stereo was pretty weak, and the stereo has an external antenna port, I used the wire that came installed in the rig as an antenna connector for a much better AM/FM antenna.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
OldMasterTech

Cavediver, does your unit have a second TV outlet, bedroom or outdoor? If so there is a splitter hidden somewhere and you cannot measure continuity through a splitter. Same for the preamp found in many units, there is no continuity measurable through them with a DVM.
If no other outlets present then back to your original plan!
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 AM   #6
Snoking

With our new 2019 Laredo and our 2017 Bighorn the installation of TV coax was a challenge that the factory works failed at through lack of training and/or skill. Connector ends need to be of the right quality, installed correctly, installed on the correct places and tighten correctly.

As we read in threads like this one, this is not happening. Just about every connector on both our new trailers were not tighten the way is should have been. Chris
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
WNY Bullet

Are you checking the cable end at the bedroom or living room TV? My 26rbpr, the splitter is in the bedroom ceiling TV wall plate.

Also you have to make sure the antenna amp is turned off. (On the same bedroom ceiling wall plate)
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
cavediver

Thanks for the replys. Yes I've taken the splitter out, I'm taking the reading in the bedroom. It is the cable. I'm just not sure if I can pull the new cable through the ceiling. I'm afraid that if I use a connector that I'll pull an end off maybe a glued heat shrink tubing might keep it on.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
Thanks for the replys. Yes I've taken the splitter out, I'm taking the reading in the bedroom. It is the cable. I'm just not sure if I can pull the new cable through the ceiling. I'm afraid that if I use a connector that I'll pull an end off maybe a glued heat shrink tubing might keep it on.
Did you carefully look at the connector at each end to make sure that a strand or two of shield wire is not wrapped around the center lead. That is a common cause of a shorted coax, and sometime hard to see. Chris
Old 09-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
cavediver

What I have is an open not a short. I did change both ends hoping it might be the ends. I thought it might be a screw or staple from the factory, but that would cause a short not an open. I'll have to wait until next week. I don't need or want satellite tv, just the news and weather. Farmer vision is fine for me.
WNY Bullet My outside cable comes in just above the tv and then jumpers to the bedroom.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

One way to tell how easy/hard it will be to draw a new cable, is to disconnect both ends and give the cable a little tug. If it moves relatively freely then you might be in with a shot. If not, there may be cable clamps hidden behind panels.
I like your idea of using a piece of heatshrink to join the old and new cables for drawing. That will reduce the likelihood of a snag somewhere hidden. Another suggestion would be to tie a piece of sash cord to the old cable and pull that through. Then use that to pull the new cable through, again, using heatshrink to join the two.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:08 AM   #12
WNY Bullet

Quote:
What I have is an open not a short. I did change both ends hoping it might be the ends. I thought it might be a screw or staple from the factory, but that would cause a short not an open. I'll have to wait until next week. I don't need or want satellite tv, just the news and weather. Farmer vision is fine for me.
WNY Bullet My outside cable comes in just above the tv and then jumpers to the bedroom.
Quick question: Did you check the shield for continuity too, just to make sure you have the right cable? If that outer shield is open too, it just might not be the right cable.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 AM   #13
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
Quick question: Did you check the shield for continuity too, just to make sure you have the right cable? If that outer shield is open too, it just might not be the right cable.
^^^^^ What he said. Make up a long lead for one of you meter leads, and check end to end continuity. Chris
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
cavediver

Again thanks for the replies that's the benefit of having this forum many ideas to check. I have a tool made to check cable continuity. It tells you if you have continuity through the cable. You put a plug on one end and the tester on the other end. It tells you if you have a short or an open. For multiple cables it tells you which one your on, by different colors each plug has a different value. That might be a better idea to run a pullcord through instead of pulling the cable through with the old cable. only one end to come off at a time.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Again thanks for the replies that's the benefit of having this forum many ideas to check. I have a tool made to check cable continuity. It tells you if you have continuity through the cable. You put a plug on one end and the tester on the other end. It tells you if you have a short or an open. For multiple cables it tells you which one your on, by different colors each plug has a different value. That might be a better idea to run a pullcord through instead of pulling the cable through with the old cable. only one end to come off at a time.
I have had the habit of pulling 2 lengths of nylon string. I use 2 different colors. Tie one color to the wire I want to pull thru and leave the other color remain. That way, I have a spare pull string incase the first one snags and breaks or if successful with the first pull there is a spare in case I ever decide to pull another wire in the future.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
cavediver

Good idea I'll do that.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
Irv gates

AS one of the other entrys has posted, You will Show a open in your TV cable ckt if you have a splitter or a preamp in the ckt. Make sure your TV preamp is off and try the antenna hookup again if your using Cable TV. You may have to run a new cable on the outside and under-neath the trailer if it gets to that. If the trailer is still under warranty, take to a dealer. Ig
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable