Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 03:40 AM   #1
TG10894

Help me fix this mouse house

After working to fix some small holes to reduce my mouse intrusion problems, I found a HUGE hole under the shower. The hole is about 9"x 9" to accommodate the bottom of the shower drain P-trap and four water lines. (pic attached) This hole is large and has the bottom of the P-trap sticking down about 2" below the floor so I can not figure out a good way to seal against mice. Has anyone had to fix this issue? Its too large to foam and I can't put a flat plate over the hole due to the large P-trap elbow in the way. To make is more challenging, I have the insulation package that makes getting to the underside more "fun".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	18184

I have traps set in the trailer, and have ordered Fresh Cab to try to keep them out once I run off the majority.

PS: What they found to eat were some small tealight candles. I had no idea.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd get some 1/8" hardware cloth. (Think heavy duty screen). It's moldable, foldable, bendable and mice can't chew through it. Cut a piece large enough to slip under the P trap, mold it around the water lines, staple it to the floor and use some silicone to cover the sharp edges. Smooth the silicone so it "looks good" and let it all dry. You can buy 1/8" hardware cloth at any ACE, True Value, Home Depot or Lowe's. It's available on Amazon, but the shipping (even on prime orders) makes it cost prohibitive at the links I've seen. Cost for a 24" x 60" roll is around $10. That'll give you more than enough for a couple of "practice runs" so you can increase your proficiency, if needed. Pictures of whatever your final repair looks like will help others in your situation. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
xranchflunky

Yes, agree 100 percent with John. I have also used coarse steel wool in smaller areas with a bit of spray foam to hold in place. The critters can get through very, very small holes!
xranchflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
JimQ

You need to go under your unit and secure where they are getting into your underbelly of the trailer. You can secure the area your writing about, but the mice will raise havoc above your chloroplast. The droppings, urine smell and chewing of wires will destroy your investment. Do what I did. Get underneath and thoroughly inspect for any entry points. Use black gorilla tape to secure any possible entry points. I thought I had mine at 100%, and to my dismay, I still had a couple mice get in. At night I had the DW shine a light into the basement in a couple of spots, while I was outside. There were two areas just below the rear bumper, two slots where the bumper attaches to the main frame (1/4" wide by 2" long) You have to get down low to see it. Again, the holes from the basement to the living area are not a problem. You need to secure the outside entry points. If your plugged into shore power, place a stainless steel scouring pad around the cord in the entry port. Hope this helps you.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
TG10894

Sounds like 1/8" hardware cloth will be a good fix for this issue. In response to JimQ, I know I need to get under the trailer but the insulation package seems to make it very hard to manage. Did you pull off the insulation and reinstall? If so, any lessons learned that would help me do same?
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
JimQ

Don't take anything off. I assume your underbelly is enclosed with chloroplast. Check along the complete frame to see if its tight. Check all the penetrations where drain pipes and wires are, and add gorilla tape if there are small openings around these items. I actually left an opening from the basement area to where my fresh water pump is located so I will know if mice get into the underbelly. I have traps set next to the pump at all times. Since I secured the outside entry points, I have had zero problems. Again, IT'S A MUST TO FIND THE EXTERIOR ENTRY POINTS! Your flooring fix is actually a secondary boundry. The mice can destroy your trailer if they have free access to your underbelly. Spent more time securing the entry points and you really don't need to address that hole in the floor. I also set traps outside where I'm parked at home. I've gotten one or two here and there. It only takes one mouse to ruin your day. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Steveo57

My 22RBS looks the same as yours under the shower. But there's plenty of other large holes everywhere they brought a pipe or wire up through the floor. I've sealed a lot of them with expanding foam. The key as others have said is to keep them out of underbelly. I used two cans of spray foam and some insulation batts to stuff and seal every little hole I could find.

Get under there with a flashlight and look everywhere from every angle and fill every hole you find.

Several places that were favorite access points for mice in mine. Holes in the frame, especially where the slide rails went thru. Also the front cap appeared to be a wide open access from underneath for them to crawl up into the ceiling. I stuffed it full of insulation and then spray foamed it.

I keep a trap set but after sealing everything up I haven't had a single mouse, except when they apparently chewed through a spot where I had sealed. I found it because I started catching some mice and looked around the area underneath where I had the trap set. Sealed it back up and it's been good ever since.

I plan on opening up the underbelly selectively to access these larger holes in the floor and seal them up with screen mesh and expanding foam to act as s secondary boundary in case the little buggers find a way to get in through the underbelly again!

My old trailer did not have an enclosed underbelly but never had any issues with mice after I sealed up every little hole underneath. That's the key!
Old 08-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
JimQ

Good point Steve on the slide rails. My bother in law noticed the hole on the frame that the piston from the slide ran thru was oversized ( basically cut at the factory with a torch, the hole was big enough for a squirrel ) . He made a thin plate in two pieces that he bolted to the frame that took care of that entry point.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
major bumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG10894 View Post
After working to fix some small holes to reduce my mouse intrusion problems, I found a HUGE hole under the shower. The hole is about 9"x 9" to accommodate the bottom of the shower drain P-trap and four water lines. (pic attached) This hole is large and has the bottom of the P-trap sticking down about 2" below the floor so I can not figure out a good way to seal against mice. Has anyone had to fix this issue? Its too large to foam and I can't put a flat plate over the hole due to the large P-trap elbow in the way. To make is more challenging, I have the insulation package that makes getting to the underside more "fun".

Attachment 18184

I have traps set in the trailer, and have ordered Fresh Cab to try to keep them out once I run off the majority.

PS: What they found to eat were some small tealight candles. I had no idea.

"I hate mices to pieces!"

I do not have the same model as you do, but had a similar problem with the "dang!" rodents.

The mice found there way in through the front of the camper, in my case. Hey had a race cross my ceiling very early in the morning... waking me up of course. One started chewing what little wood there is in the camper right over my food cabinet. Bastages!! I don't know how your mices will react, but here is what I did.

Some of this can be found on YouTube too. I first heard that bastage mouse chewing right over my food cabinet. I bought some peppermint oil. The 100% peppermint oil. This one I found at a local Walmart. I soaked cotton balls with the oil and placed them in all my cabinets and spaces like under your shower. The mice that took up residence in my house did not like the smell one bit! Now, I have to refresh the cotton balls once a week and the place smells like toothpaste, but the mices packed their little bags and got out.

After they left, I went outside and found every thinkable place mice might enter the RV. I used steel wool to plug those openings.

It worked for me. I don't know if it will work with you, but it is not all that expensive and is worth a shot.

Good Luck!
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote