Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Heimtime21

Front Cap Fading

Hello, I have a 2013 keystone Laredo 303tg. My front cap is brown and is faded to a dull gray on areas of the top. Keystone is only willing to sand, buff, and clear coat it. They will not authorize the dealer to repaint. The dealership will not touch it unless keystone authorizes the full repair because they are convinced it needs it. My warranty is up in a week! Any advice would be appreciated!

2013 Laredo 303Tg
2003 Avalanche 2500 8.1L

Heimtime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimtime21 View Post
Hello, I have a 2013 keystone Laredo 303tg. My front cap is brown and is faded to a dull gray on areas of the top. Keystone is only willing to sand, buff, and clear coat it. They will not authorize the dealer to repaint. The dealership will not touch it unless keystone authorizes the full repair because they are convinced it needs it. My warranty is up in a week! Any advice would be appreciated!
Many people have got their caps fully repainted even when they are fully out of warranty. Any model that has a painted cap is suspect whether is be the laredo, raptor or fuzion.

They are probably trying to do the cheapest thing possible and buy you off know if not done right the problem will come back and they will tell you sorry we fixed it once and now its on you.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
BadDogWillie

Fading Cap

Can you tell me more about people who got theirs fixed by Keystone after their warranty period. I also have a 2013 Laredo 29.6 which just started the fading.

Thanks
Bad Dog Willie
Moving down the road!
BadDogWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
jje1960

3m 09009

Twice / Year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011sm.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	6742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012sm.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6743   Click image for larger version

Name:	3m-09009.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6744  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
J&A

Quote:
It doesn't make any sense. I had my faded cap painted with automotive paint and clear coat a month ago or so. I also had the cap decals replaced. All under warranty. The sand and buff process is not a long term solution. I understand Keystone has now switched to painted front caps because of this issue. I've seen Laredo and Outback rigs with faded caps where I store our trailer(see pics). Not uncommon. The service department at my dealer told me that they've painted "hundreds" of caps over the years.

I recommend you find out directly and in written from Keystone if they're not willing to authorize the dealer to paint your cap or if they're no willing to pay the dealer's rates for the job. Something is not right.

Work with them but don't let them get away with it. Faded front caps look terrible and further depreciate your rig's value (as if we needed faster depreciation).

Good luck and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laredo.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	6745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outback.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	6746  

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Heimtime21

I will keep you posted. They are not budging right now.

2013 Laredo 303Tg
2003 Avalanche 2500 8.1L

Heimtime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
rjsurfer

I'm sorry, you have to laugh about this latest Keystone front cap problem. First it was the front caps cracking then it was the decals peeling off them now its the paint fading.

You would think by now Keystone would learn to "test" how they put these front caps together and what coatings they put on them.

Thank goodness they don't build airplanes.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I'm sorry, you have to laugh about this latest Keystone front cap problem. First it was the front caps cracking then it was the decals peeling off them now its the paint fading.

You would think by now Keystone would learn to "test" how they put these front caps together and what coatings they put on them.

Ron W.

We are the test bed for the end product!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
jje1960

Keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post

Ron W.
I agree, I would not want a $40K airplane.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Sequimite

Outback end cap defect/fade

We bought a 2013 Outback 260FL TT, July 2012 from Curtis Trailer, Portland, OR. On 10-14-14 we discovered a dark grey, chalky, cloudy substance on the RV front end cap from the roof seam extending about 2' down the end cap. Efforts to remove the substance failed and auto finisher/wax on a small test patch revealed the "discoloration" was coming from below the surface finish. We took the RV back to Curtis Trailer, they confirmed the issue was materials below the clear coat are deteriorating and contacted Keystone RV about getting it repaired. On 11-12-2014, Curtis Trailer notified me that Keystone RV had "rejected" the claim/inquiry to fix the problem and that Keystone RV had sited the "unit being out of warranty" to justify no action on their part to fix a materials defect in our new Outback. Also, I'm told, that nether the Extended Service Contract nor Duratain Protectant will apply or cover this issue. I initiated communication to Keystone RV as Curtis Trailer made a point of depicting themselves as "3rd party only" with this issue. Does anyone know of a concise listing of all units with like problems which Keystone has had to make repairs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0336.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	7452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	7453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	7454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7455  
Sequimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Fading of the front cap has been discussed quite extensively on the forum. A number of members have submitted threads/posts about this topic and if you were to do a forum search, you can find out what others have experienced and what steps they have done to try to solve this problem - both at their dealership and with Keystone.

Try typing in "front cap fading" in the forum's search box, using the search function, and read more about this topic.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
bexparza

Fading Front Cap

I was just wondering if, when you first purchased these RV's, you used a high grade wax/uv protect ant on them? Also did you use 303 Aerospace Protect ant on the decals? I have had several fiber glass boats and RV's and have always kept them waxed regularly and treated all the decals with 303. They all with stood the elements well. My concern is I just bought a Laredo 314RE and am a little concerned about the cap. I plan on waxing good and using 303 on the decals.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
skmct

I just bought a 214 Montana HC RE have not taken delivery yet. The front cap was faded already. The dealer has agreed to repaint it. While talking to the body shop foreman he stated it happens a lot and the reason is the color is in the gel coat and it is to thin in that area which causes the color to get bleached out.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Just took my 2014 Cougar High Country in today for some minor warranty repair work. My cap had started fading but forgot to mention it. The service manager asked me if I'd looked at the cap and I told him I had but forgot to mention it, plus, I had him on such a short turn a round time that I was afraid I would need to bring it back later for something like that. He said "we'll repaint it" and said it needed 5 new decals (looking across the front of the trailer). Obviously Keystone has to approve it but he said they had just finished doing 3 others and Keystone was aware they had a problem with their paint. He did not anticipate a problem getting it done. He DID say that they are given an "allowance" to do the job. Depending on what the dealer is willing to do the work for you may or may not get a full blown paint job vs a sand and re-coat as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Very pleased with the visit today.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
pucci

Ours did the same thing. It is a 2012 312BH that we paid an extra $1400 for the brown front and we did this so it would have better resale when and if we ever trade it in. I have had too many problems to list besides the front cap. Keystone will not come forward and recall this problem. They are no help at all. Never buy from them!
pucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #16
ReadyToRoll

Smile Front cap fade

Just had my front cap refinished on 2013 Cougar. The dealer had noticed the fade last fall and had already gotten authorization for the refinish. I took it in last month and they did an excellent job. Better than new. Have a very good dealer here in Colorado.
ReadyToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #17
mavagrand

Quote:
My 2015 Laredo 299BH is doing the exact same thing. Called Lazydays in Seffner, florida about the issue. They said it's a known issue that Keystone is aware of. They will either repaint or replace mine based on the severity. I gotta bring it in for photos so they can forward the pix to Keystone. Sorry you're having such a difficult time with Keystone, my experience, so far has been smooth. Perhaps you should try another dealership. I'm convinced some dealerships have more pull with Keystone than others.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #18
tdawg

My 2013 Alpine is white and I wax it once a year and it is outside year around and have had no issues with paint. I get alot of comments on how shiny it is. I think if possible I am staying away from the colored paint schemes.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
pramey9876

faded cap

2013 Keystone Cougar, same issue with a faded cap. Contacted Keystone and got the standard answer so I sent them a demand letter and received a NO to repairs. I'm moving onto legal action and would appreciate any help from those who had their caps repainted/repaired out of warranty for fading.
Once I complete the legal process I'll report back here, hopefully with good results so others can use the information.
Keystone would be wise to just repaint these caps as opposed to setting precedent across the nation.
Again, any help from those who had their caps repainted would go a long way in the legal action.
Thanks for your help.
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #20
pramey9876

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToRoll View Post
Just had my front cap refinished on 2013 Cougar. The dealer had noticed the fade last fall and had already gotten authorization for the refinish. I took it in last month and they did an excellent job. Better than new. Have a very good dealer here in Colorado.
Was your Keystone under warranty or did Keystone authorize the repair out of warranty?
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote