Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #41
rhandyr99

Broken Tongue

We hooked up a utility trailer with our golf cart on it to our Cardinal 5th wheel headed to Myrtle Beach, When we went across a bridge right outside of Asheville NC that bucks you, the camper and the trailer bucked against each other breaking the tongue of the trailer and we had to stop and buy a new trailer and tow it with another suv - leaving a almost brand new trailer behind for someone to scrap..$700 loss and I didn't know I had to buy insurance for the trailer itself to be covered so ...

& Protected by 2 attack dachshunds

Previous RV's
2003 Cardinal 31LE 5th Wheel

2000 Terry 5th Wheel BH 30'

1995 Salem TT 22'

Pop up Tent (we lasted 4 hours)
rhandyr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #42
Stinger381

As a State police officer in Alabama I can tell you I see double trailers a lot in our state. It is illegal to pull double trailers in Alabama but most officers do not stop them and let them move on.

In Alabama a double trailer is allowed if the hitch has pivot able axle under it. Think about peanut wagons, they have a front axle that pivots and a straight rear axle. You can legally pull two or more of those wagons. Think about tractor trailers with tandem trailers. They have a separate axle under them that hitches to the front trailer and then the second trailer hitches to it. Legal. A 5th wheel trailer with a single axle or dual axle trailer behind it would be illegal. But then again, I rarely see it enforced. Get involved in accident and I think you will see the wrath of the DOT.
Stinger381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
CashMoney

Its perfectly legal in NV as long as your overall length doesn't exceed 70' and GCWR isn't over 10k with a class C or 26K with a J endorsement.
CashMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #44
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandyr99 View Post
We hooked up a utility trailer with our golf cart on it to our Cardinal 5th wheel headed to Myrtle Beach, When we went across a bridge right outside of Asheville NC that bucks you, the camper and the trailer bucked against each other breaking the tongue of the trailer and we had to stop and buy a new trailer and tow it with another suv - leaving a almost brand new trailer behind for someone to scrap..$700 loss and I didn't know I had to buy insurance for the trailer itself to be covered so ...
So... Is this the type of trailer you had?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_100369-15476...7C1&facetInfo=

If so, I'm not surprised it folded up on rough road with a load on it. What a ripoff ANY trailer sold by Lowes/HomeDepot/Tractor Supply/Atwoods/Orchelan (etc).....

Trash trailers.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #45
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger381 View Post
As a State police officer in Alabama I can tell you I see double trailers a lot in our state. It is illegal to pull double trailers in Alabama but most officers do not stop them and let them move on.

In Alabama a double trailer is allowed if the hitch has pivot able axle under it. Think about peanut wagons, they have a front axle that pivots and a straight rear axle. You can legally pull two or more of those wagons. Think about tractor trailers with tandem trailers. They have a separate axle under them that hitches to the front trailer and then the second trailer hitches to it. Legal. A 5th wheel trailer with a single axle or dual axle trailer behind it would be illegal. But then again, I rarely see it enforced. Get involved in accident and I think you will see the wrath of the DOT.
I can't speak for Alabama... But anyone concerned should check the regs in the states in which they intend to operate.

Also of importance is the 'definitions' and/or 'scope' section of the law.....

In Oklahoma our RVs (and traditional utility trailers) are not TRAILERS at all by definition in our law... They are 'SEMI-TRAILERS'.

By definition, a semi-trailer is a unit where part of the weight of the towed unit is supported by its own axles, and the remainder of the weight of the towed unit is supported by the tow vehicle/tractor (pin or tongue weight).

A 'TRAILER' has its weight fully supported by its own axles - much like what Stinger381 mentions above - peanut trailer.... hay trailer.... cotton trailer... etc.

So.... Moral of this story is not to just read the real law (instead of those lame, consistently incorrect generic websites), and clearly understand the scope and definitions at the preface to the statute.

I believe many in OK state just go straight to the statute and think "Oh only a semi can do that, because they're talking about semi-trailers".... Without understanding what specifically the term semi-trailer refers to.

Just another tidbit to chew on.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #46
rhandyr99

Yes that was the kind of trailer I had. It was from Tractor Supply - it seemed to be made better than the ones they sell today but it was only 2 years old and had been used very little..

Previous RV's

1995 Salem TT 22'

Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #47
rhandyr99

No worries now, I have been blessed with my toy hauler that I searched high and low for! I am thankful it didn't break into on the hwy.... terrible thoughts of what could have happened!

Previous RV's

1995 Salem TT 22'