Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
firestation12

Lost fridge vent

Last week enroute from Phoenix to San Antonio, the wife (traveling behind in her car) casually mentions on the 2 way radio “Hey I think something blew off the roof a few miles back”. Me to wife, “how far back?” Wife, “maybe 50 or so miles”. Me to wife “how big was it?” Wife replies, “it was black and about 2 feet long”. Silence until the next place to pull over….maybe 29 miles. So now I need help finding a replacement upper refrigerator vent for a Norcold 2118. The lower vent cover is the same as the upper and has a pert number of 628073bk and the wording “fits EG models. The bk stands for black. After searching the internet, Amazon and , and not finding a replacement, I’d settle for a white one. Every listing I’ve found claiming to be 628073 has a drawing that shows a frame with a 3/4 door and an adjacent 1/4 fixed panel. This will not work for me. The missing door’s dimensions are 30 1/2” wide by 14 3/4” high. Looks like Norcold was absorbed back in December of 2022 by Theford. I tried a 800 number for Norcold that rolls over to Thetford which dead ends in a message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C6CB355-AD89-426C-AF15-398792B8FEDE.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	43505  
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
bobbecky

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-62807.../dp/B01MQQCO6C

or: https://www.trekwood.com/products/11...Sidewall-Black The dimensions on this one include the frame, so the actual door is probably what you are looking for. The only problem, they say this is NLA, no longer available. I'm thinking you will probably need to go with the first one above. The dimensions are going to be with the entire frame.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:23 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I don’t think those vents are necessarily brand-specific are they? They don’t attach to the refrigerator in any way, they are just holes cut into the side wall of the trailer and the frame/cover assemblies are installed. I would find the rough opening size(s) and pick up two complete matching assemblies.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:42 PM   #4
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-62807.../dp/B01MQQCO6C

or: https://www.trekwood.com/products/11...Sidewall-Black The dimensions on this one include the frame, so the actual door is probably what you are looking for. The only problem, they say this is NLA, no longer available. I'm thinking you will probably need to go with the first one above. The dimensions are going to be with the entire frame.
Thanks for your reply. The Amazon product was the one that doesn’t match, but the Trekwood appears to be correct. Even though the item is marked NLA, I’ll still bug Jennifer Hawkins tomorrow at Trekwood. She’s been a great help in the past.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I don’t think those vents are necessarily brand-specific are they? They don’t attach to the refrigerator in any way, they are just holes cut into the side wall of the trailer and the frame/cover assemblies are installed. I would find the rough opening size(s) and pick up two complete matching assemblies.
I couldn’t find another brand that would fit the rough opening. Clever of Norcold to mfg a part unlike anything else, no??
Old 04-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I couldn’t find another brand that would fit the rough opening. Clever of Norcold to mfg a part unlike anything else, no??
Dometic does the same thing with their vents. Even the roof vents are "brand specific" meaning you can't just replace the busted top cover on a Dometic roof vent with a generic or Norcold top cover.

To add insult to injury, if Dometic comes out with a 105 sq inch vent requirement, it's because Norcold builds a 104 sq inch vent... And when Norcold revises their venting requirements, it'll be to prevent the Dometic parts from being "just barely large enough".....

Same with Alpha Systems TPO roof sealant. When AS first marketed TPO, they recommended DICOR sealants, then later, they introduced their own sealant line and now, "suddenly" DICOR doesn't "quite measure up to the highest standards required for Alpha Systems TPO roofing"...

Now, it's not just the RV industry. Have you by chance, tried to find the coolant test strips for the new (since 2015) Ford orange antifreeze ???? Seems that for years, only Ford had access to the strips and they only sold them in 100 test strip containers.... Since you use the test strips every 3 years after the first antifreeze change, that's a lot of years for a "one diesel owner" to buy..... I haven't checked recently, but hopefully you can buy them in packets of 2 or 5 or 10 for the "shade tree mechanic who wants to maintain his own truck".....

Good Luck trying to find the right "vent panel". They change styles so often
(to keep up with Gucci and the fashion industry, I guess, though they call it "modernization") that after a couple years, the only place to find one is on a dusty shelf in some out of the way RV service bay, one that didn't know they had it on the shelf and haven't done a "real inventory" since Joe died 10 years ago.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:21 AM   #7
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Dometic does the same thing with their vents. Even the roof vents are "brand specific" meaning you can't just replace the busted top cover on a Dometic roof vent with a generic or Norcold top cover.

To add insult to injury, if Dometic comes out with a 105 sq inch vent requirement, it's because Norcold builds a 104 sq inch vent... And when Norcold revises their venting requirements, it'll be to prevent the Dometic parts from being "just barely large enough".....

Same with Alpha Systems TPO roof sealant. When AS first marketed TPO, they recommended DICOR sealants, then later, they introduced their own sealant line and now, "suddenly" DICOR doesn't "quite measure up to the highest standards required for Alpha Systems TPO roofing"...

Now, it's not just the RV industry. Have you by chance, tried to find the coolant test strips for the new (since 2015) Ford orange antifreeze ???? Seems that for years, only Ford had access to the strips and they only sold them in 100 test strip containers.... Since you use the test strips every 3 years after the first antifreeze change, that's a lot of years for a "one diesel owner" to buy..... I haven't checked recently, but hopefully you can buy them in packets of 2 or 5 or 10 for the "shade tree mechanic who wants to maintain his own truck".....

Good Luck trying to find the right "vent panel". They change styles so often
(to keep up with Gucci and the fashion industry, I guess, though they call it "modernization") that after a couple years, the only place to find one is on a dusty shelf in some out of the way RV service bay, one that didn't know they had it on the shelf and haven't done a "real inventory" since Joe died 10 years ago.....
Truer words have not been spoken. I have two packages of the older test strips lying around. I almost threw them in the trash last month. Final note, after losing the panel and seeing how difficult it’s going to be to replace, I’ve resolved to replace the plastic fasteners every year from now on. Before we left on our trip, I checked both the upper and lower panel fasteners.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:06 PM   #8
bobbecky

Our rig is a 2012, have about 80,000 miles on it and we have the original vent fasteners. Care has to be taken to make sure they are turned to the proper position so the vents stay attached.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:00 AM   #9
firestation12

Smile The “Rest of the Story”

Quote:
Our rig is a 2012, have about 80,000 miles on it and we have the original vent fasteners. Care has to be taken to make sure they are turned to the proper position so the vents stay attached.
So to put this thread to bed, here’s how it ended: no OEM door was found. My faithful contact at Trekwood wasn’t helpful, the last resort was bobbeccky’s Amazon suggestion. I ordered the generic assembly from Amazon on Thursday, it arrived next morning. It doesn’t have the glossy sheen and looks somewhat different than the lower vent door, but it fit perfectly in the rough opening! Trekwood quoted the same generic part that Amazon sold. The difference in price was astounding! Trekwood was just over $200 shipped, Amazon was $64.17 with tax and shipping. Many thanks to all who took the time to reply….especially JRTJH’s long but soothing epistle.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:44 AM   #10
bobbecky

You could always get another one and replace the other so they match
Old 04-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #11
firestation12

Quote:
You could always get another one and replace the other so they match
Your suggestion my be the final solution. In performing an autopsy of the missing door, I used the door from the bottom location to acertain what might have contributed to losing the vent door at the top of the slideout. What I found was the frame’s top was bowed. This pulled the door’s bottom 3 tabs almost entirely out of the slots. Less than 1/16” of engagement was all that held the door to the frame. I’m surprised this hadn’t happed sooner. Appreciate your comments.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:23 AM   #12
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
So to put this thread to bed, here’s how it ended: no OEM door was found. My faithful contact at Trekwood wasn’t helpful, the last resort was bobbeccky’s Amazon suggestion. I ordered the generic assembly from Amazon on Thursday, it arrived next morning. It doesn’t have the glossy sheen and looks somewhat different than the lower vent door, but it fit perfectly in the rough opening! Trekwood quoted the same generic part that Amazon sold. The difference in price was astounding! Trekwood was just over $200 shipped, Amazon was $64.17 with tax and shipping. Many thanks to all who took the time to reply….especially JRTJH’s long but soothing epistle.
If you have the time post back with the PN of the replacement you ordered.. I have an older Alpine and the info may come in handy someday.. Glad you got the grill needed and nice of you to update the end result

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:44 PM   #13
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If you have the time post back with the PN of the replacement you ordered.. I have an older Alpine and the info may come in handy someday.. Glad you got the grill needed and nice of you to update the end result
It was the Amazon link bobbecky suggested at the top of post #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	747E1740-1F62-432A-A986-8D70FC5813F3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	43546  

Tags
fridge, vent