Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I’m not overly familiar with the 2011-2016 Ford 6.7, but the current 17+ Generation has a manual regen you can have the dealer bring up as a selectable option. Higher end packages (platinum etc) its already in the menu. Come home, turn on manual regen and walk away I’m told. I haven’t programmed my truck to do it yet.
That option is also available in the 2011-2016 Ford 6.7L diesels. It must be turned on by the dealer by using the Ford Rotunda update/reconfiguration software.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
MarkEHansen

A Ford truck can really do the re-gen just sitting in the driveway? On my GMC, it says the truck must be at operating temperature - driving down the highway (for example).
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
A Ford truck can really do the re-gen just sitting in the driveway? On my GMC, it says the truck must be at operating temperature - driving down the highway (for example).
Yup. If the computer system is set to enable "operator commanded regeneration" then all you do is "click the buttons" and it starts. It'll do it while parked or while driving. Here's a bit of the explanation from the owner's manual:

"Once operator commanded regeneration starts, engine speed increases to
approximately 2000 rpm and the cooling fan speed increases. You will hear a
change in audible sound due to engine speed and cooling fan speed increases.
It is not necessary to open the hood on the engine compartment. Once operator commanded regeneration completes, the engine speed returns to normal idling. The exhaust system remains very hot for several minutes even after regeneration is complete. Do not reposition the vehicle over materials that could burn until the exhaust system has had sufficient time to cool. Depending on the amount of soot collected by the diesel particulate filter,
ambient temperature and altitude, operator commanded regeneration lasts
approximately 30 minutes."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #24
zoro58

wait and by a 2020 chevy HD 3500 single wheel short box gasser wife will love it
zoro58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #25
5J's

I'm a diesel fan but, I've got no experience with a gas engine since the late 90's. I've owned two Ford 7.3's currently own a Ford 6.0 and drive one for work. The work truck has been within a couple of hundred pounds of GVWR its whole life. I've had very few problems with either of the 6.0's but I really like that 7.3. At work we rid our entire fleet of the 6.4's due to the problems we were having. I've heard the 6.7's are supposed to be great. I'm not a Dodge fan but, the Cummins is probably the best engine on the market. Before I bought my 6.0 I was really looking for a Dmax/Allison combo. I didn't want to deal with the DEF but, also didn't like the earlier body style of the Chevy line. I think if I were in your shoes I'd try to off the 6.4 and look for a Dmax or a 6.7. If that's not an option I'd look for a third vehicle. This is just my opinion Good luck.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #26
Wyldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Yeah a great thing to do early morning when the neighbors keep you up half the night partying.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #27
Laredo Tugger

For the OP.
Where did "half ton tow-able" come from? My version,while not verified is,one day a lonely RV salesman was staring out his office window at vehicles passing on the adjacent interstate. He is counting every pick-up truck that drives by as a missed sale. Realizing he is not counting the half ton trucks, the light bulb above his head goes poof! And half ton tow-able is born. He now has a whole new market strategy.
So along comes Mister Half Ton Owner answering the ad for "half ton tow-able" and the games begin. Trying to find the correct TT or 5er to hitch up to and take to the road. Yes,some models exist and comply. That tilt point is the moving target on here.
I will admit that a half ton frame pick up truck is much more economical and comfortable than the larger frame 3/4 and one ton models. And when not towing it would be nice to have your TV double as a comfortable.efficient commuter. But after you put an RV of substantial size behind the half ton and load it with all of the items mentioned in previous (many previous on other threads as well) comments you are knocking on the door of limits for safe and efficient towing. I see it time and time again and I just hope nothing "gives" in the equation while this humble family travels down the road.especially in front of me on the highway.
What is my point? I believe I saw in these threads that your half ton is a Platinum model. That is the top of the line Ford package for pick-ups if I am not mistaken. In short the value of your 2017 should translate into the purchasing power for a F250 with less trim (and more payload) without taking to much of a loss. Maybe even a nice used diesel.
No I am not an expert in vehicle trade or towing combinations. But after seeing this problem (half ton towing) appear on the pages over and over I thought I would just offer another opinion.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals 123 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the 6.2 gas Vs the 6.4 diesel? Is the Duramax a better engine?

Thanks
Alan

The 6.4L diesel is widely recognized as one of the most problematic engines ever put together by Ford as it shares most all the issues of the 6.0L and parts are a bunch more expensive. This is why you see Super Duty models with this engine going for what appears to be great pricing compared to the older 7.3L or new 6.7L. I would prefer a gas engine due to less complication and would go with the 6.2L but that flies against the majority opinion of folks on this board. If you plan on towing A LOT and have the extra cash, the diesel might make sense but if you camp once a month and the engine is up to the task, gas seems to me a better choice.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
spicercars

Make sure you buy something big enough to handle the weight.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #30
labman

This ought to do it. https://www.kenworth.com/trucks/t800/
Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #31
ADQ K9

The T800 might be a little overkill make sure it has an air ride 5th wheel or the pin box will come off the trailer.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #32
Sandals 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
Hahaha... In the long run that is probably the best option!

While struggling with finding an affordable replacement for the 2010 6.4, I contact a client of mine who runs a diesel specialty shop. He has suggested completing a EGR delete and a DPF delete. He said they do these all the time and it makes the engine last longer, inceases power and eliminates the horrible "smoke" issue.

Anyone on here have any experience with this process?

Thanks
Alan
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #33
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Hahaha... In the long run that is probably the best option!

While struggling with finding an affordable replacement for the 2010 6.4, I contact a client of mine who runs a diesel specialty shop. He has suggested completing a EGR delete and a DPF delete. He said they do these all the time and it makes the engine last longer, inceases power and eliminates the horrible "smoke" issue.

Anyone on here have any experience with this process?

Thanks
Alan
Yep, my 6.4 was insane after EGR and DPF delete. Even in tow Tune it would just roast the tires. Had soooo much power. Other problems are still around.

Oil cooler: ford gold coolant clogs the cooler. Best to flush with fleet rite system. Did it to mine and could not believe the gunk that came out. Took a couple days to complete. I’d throw on a coolant filter to catch the gunk. I had big wads of Alge in mine. Had a CTS2 to monitor the oil vs coolant temps. Need to stay within a set amount of degrees between them.

Rocker arms. The arms do double duty. They are bridged and therefor take a lot of punishment. The worst thing part is the tips. They are a separate piece and come off. Thus they break and can be sucked in if they break down small enough. They are cheap to buy and somewhat easy to install.

Radiator: Bad Bad Bad. Plastic ends warp with flex of body and they come apart, Mishimoto makes an awesome replacement and a stronger core support brace that fixed it,

I put on new radiator pipes. Earlier builds (08) had bad o-rings. Intercooler boots blow, riffraff diesel makes great reaplcements. I put on new Intercooler tubes as cold side is smashed flat from factory.

I had a lot of fun with my 6.4 I was sad when it met its death.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35CE861F-C212-4273-A265-1BE3D4B01ED4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	20761   Click image for larger version

Name:	55C011BA-F9DB-4801-84B8-B16B2D448386.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	20762  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #34
Sandals 123

Awesome, thank Fish! Too bad about your truck

The reason I am considering these upgrades are that my truck only has 70,000 km, and it is a beautiful truck. To replace it would make me out of pocket another $20-30k.

This diesel shop is so knowledgeable and focused on fixing factory issues that I am sure that they will know about the other issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190310_153718.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	20763  
Sandals 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #35
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Awesome, thank Fish! Too bad about your truck

The reason I am considering these upgrades are that my truck only has 70,000 km, and it is a beautiful truck. To replace it would make me out of pocket another $20-30k.

This diesel shop is so knowledgeable and focused on fixing factory issues that I am sure that they will know about the other issues.
Sweet truck! I miss mine a lot. I have a new 6.7, but don’t dare delete with warranty in place. You will love it deleted and tuned.

At the very least, I strongly recommend the coolant flush and replace with long life antifreeze. There are many articles and sites showing how it’s done. Search for clogged oil coolers 6.4 and you’ll see pics of what Ford Gold antifreeze does to the cooler.

Report back and let me me know how you like it. I’ll Live vicariously through your truck

Justin
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #36
travelin texans

The best upgrade to the 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke is a Duramax wrapped in a GMC/Chevy or Cummins wrapped in a Ram.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #37
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The best upgrade to the 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke is a Duramax wrapped in a GMC/Chevy or Cummins wrapped in a Ram.
The 6.7 Ford is just fine..
Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The 6.7 Ford is just fine..
Agree. 6.7 has been a big win for Ford. It was a great move for them to take their engines “in house” and build them themselves.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #39
labman

humbug. wish I had gone with gm, now i'm stuck with a 6.7
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 AM   #40
Roscommon48

don't think that buying a 6.7 will solve your issues. I have a 2015 that regens all the time. and so far I've had to have the def container cleaned out because of it being 'dirty'.
just use 'manual' and run your truck once a week at 2000rpm, 3rd gear for about 20 minutes...that may help.

I will probably go back to GMC on my next truck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote