Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #41
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Wow, 100 yards in a heavy Thunderstorm!
That is not heavy, Heavy is when it is like a fire-hose directed at the windshield!
Yup! Pretty much like that.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
Old 09-26-2018, 04:13 AM   #42
notanlines

Question

George, I was going to go into the "ASSURED CLEAR DISTANCE" subject, but after I looked into the phrase it became more convoluted than I could decipher. More or less it says you "shouldn't overdrive your headlights." I don't have a good phrase to use for daylight hours.
I also looked for some credible statistics covering stopping distances towing 5th wheels and RV's, but the only ones that popped up immediately were those supplied by Titan Disc Brake conversion. Probably a good company/conversion, but not credible stats when trying to make a point.
I did find one for towing a 16,000 pound 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton pickup at 80 miles an hour and it just said "Are you freaking stupid?" (Well, maybe it didn't)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 AM   #43
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
George, I was going to go into the "ASSURED CLEAR DISTANCE" subject, but after I looked into the phrase it became more convoluted than I could decipher. More or less it says you "shouldn't overdrive your headlights." I don't have a good phrase to use for daylight hours.
I also looked for some credible statistics covering stopping distances towing 5th wheels and RV's, but the only ones that popped up immediately were those supplied by Titan Disc Brake conversion. Probably a good company/conversion, but not credible stats when trying to make a point.
I did find one for towing a 16,000 pound 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton pickup at 80 miles an hour and it just said "Are you freaking stupid?" (Well, maybe it didn't)
Try this... http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdot...t_distance.htm
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #44
SummitPond

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo240MK2015 View Post
I set the cruise to 55, no more than 60. We are never in a hurry and I would rather have the impatient drivers pass so I don’t have mess with the cruise. Better mileage at that speed too.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/ima...ons/icon14.gif

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #45
Number 4

Normally 55 to 60mph, 65 going down long hills. Last time out I was doing a steady 55 in the slow lane of a busy 4-lane highway (everyone passing by in a blur) and a pickup came roaring down the curved onramp. The male driver flipped us off when it became obvious he couldn't get by before the merge, dropped behind and floored it to pass on the left. The DW and I shrugged and said, "Too bad for you. Hope you make it to the fire on time, we're going camping!"

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #46
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Normally 55 to 60mph, 65 going down long hills. Last time out I was doing a steady 55 in the slow lane of a busy 4-lane highway (everyone passing by in a blur) and a pickup came roaring down the curved onramp. The male driver flipped us off when it became obvious he couldn't get by before the merge, dropped behind and floored it to pass on the left. The DW and I shrugged and said, "Too bad for you. Hope you make it to the fire on time, we're going camping!"
I don't understand some people. I had an incident this morning driving in to work (in my car). I was driving in the left lane when a guy comes up behind me. He starts flashing his lights and then starts to ride my tail. There was a car next to me, so I couldn't get over. I look down and I'm going 62mph in a 55. I wasn't going to speed up, so I tapped my brake just enough to show the brake light .
Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #47
KYFamily

Normally I drive any where between 60 and 65.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #48
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I don't understand some people. I had an incident this morning driving in to work (in my car). I was driving in the left lane when a guy comes up behind me. He starts flashing his lights and then starts to ride my tail. There was a car next to me, so I couldn't get over. I look down and I'm going 62mph in a 55. I wasn't going to speed up, so I tapped my brake just enough to show the brake light .
In most states, Texas included, the left lane is the passing lane, not the "I am going 62 in a 55 next to this guy lane"

If you are not passing someone and driving in the left lane... you are in the wrong lane.

It is all about traffic flow and you were impeding it.

from txdot.gov

"After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200."

-Brian
Old 09-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
In most states, Texas included, the left lane is the passing lane, not the "I am going 62 in a 55 next to this guy lane"

If you are not passing someone and driving in the left lane... you are in the wrong lane.

It is all about traffic flow and you were impeding it.

from txdot.gov

"After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200."

-Brian
If you're doing the posted speed limit, or more, you ARE NOT impeding traffic! If in the left lane doing less than the posted speed YES you could be subject to a fine. But apparently people are taught differently than I was As it seems everyone wants to drive in the left lane regardless of their speed, even truck drivers.
As for the guy that runs up behind me flashing lights, if I'm doing the speed limit he can suck my exhaust all day long before I'll move over.
When merging onto the interstate, somewhere/somehow a lot of folks have the idea that the interstate is to yield to them merging which unless someone changed the law, or the signs, the yield sign is on the entry ramp not the interstate.
People also don't know what a solid white line indicates either, their jumping in & out of the HOV lane like it's their own personal passing lane.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #50
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you're doing the posted speed limit, or more, you ARE NOT impeding traffic! If in the left lane doing less than the posted speed YES you could be subject to a fine. But apparently people are taught differently than I was As it seems everyone wants to drive in the left lane regardless of their speed, even truck drivers.
As for the guy that runs up behind me flashing lights, if I'm doing the speed limit he can suck my exhaust all day long before I'll move over.
When merging onto the interstate, somewhere/somehow a lot of folks have the idea that the interstate is to yield to them merging which unless someone changed the law, or the signs, the yield sign is on the entry ramp not the interstate.
People also don't know what a solid white line indicates either, their jumping in & out of the HOV lane like it's their own personal passing lane.
Actually in Texas the law is written Left Lane for PASSING ONLY. That means.. don't drive in the left lane unless you are actually in the act of passing another vehicle.. if not actually passing... move your butt over.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #51
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

Assured clear distance is the charge when you tail-end another driver. Don't ask please how I am pretty sure on this one. There is no set number; only crumpled metal, etc. to prove you didn't allow your vehicle enough room to stop safely.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 09-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #52
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Wow... get over hoss! You don't need to lead the parade and keep in mind it is legal in TX to have a pop-pop in your car so you are inviting trouble when none needs to be found. If I find myself in the left lane and someone wants to get by, I move to the right lane as most places have the left lane "FOR PASSING ONLY" and not for parade leaders!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #53
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Actually in Texas the law is written Left Lane for PASSING ONLY. That means.. don't drive in the left lane unless you are actually in the act of passing another vehicle.. if not actually passing... move your butt over.

^^^^This would be correct. Here is an excerpt from the TxDot website:

Keep Right
Watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read "Left Lane For Passing Only." These signs let you know that the left lane on a divided highway is not a "fast" lane; it is a passing lane.
After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.

It makes no mention of speed, speeding or abiding by the speed limit; it just says stay right if you aren't actively passing.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #54
mfifield01

It wasn't a matter of just getting over. I was passing the guy on the right, just wasn't passing him fast enough for the guy behind.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #55
mfifield01

Quote:
If only this law was enforced in Texas. They actually enforce it in other states. People move over quickly.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #56
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
It wasn't a matter of just getting over. I was passing the guy on the right, just wasn't passing him fast enough for the guy behind.
The guy shouldn't have gone nuts trying to get around but perhaps he had his dying kid in the back seat and was rushing to a hospital. It could just as well be that the guy was a nut and just wanted to get to a Dairy Queen for a Blizzard double fast. Who knows. You can always speed up a tad to get around a guy to pass him and should do that in the case where the person behind you seems frantic to pass.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #57
travelin texans

Quote:
Apparently they don't put that question on driving test anymore in any state. Especially if your a woman under 40, they NEVER EVER get out of the left lane. SORRY LADIES! Just calling it like I've seen it the last 10 years.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Apparently they don't put that question on driving test anymore in any state. Especially if your a woman under 40, they NEVER EVER get out of the left lane. SORRY LADIES! Just calling it like I've seen it the last 10 years.

They can't get out of the left lane, at 40mph, because they would have to take their eyes off their texting; and we can't have that; heaven forbid they would have to actually look at the road to see what was going on I will say more and more guys are doing the same thing. I have many pet peeves but that is probably right at the top of my list. I told the chief that folks like that should be pulled off the road, incarcerated and charged with felony criminal negligence - they endanger every one of us.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #59
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Had one go by me in Denver couple days ago in the left texting, going way over 40 more like 70. I was going slow there.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #60
Old Mustanger

Was passing an 18 wheeler one time and the DW excitedly says "look at that ***hole texting while driving a truck!" IMHO that's pretty stupid and scary as heck.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Closed Thread

Tags
tow