Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
hardinrob

Furrion Wireless Observation Camera?

I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB with Legacy Package. 5th Wheel came with Furrion Vision 2 Wireless Observation Camera. My Tow Vehicle is a 2016 GMC DenaliHD 3500 DRW LB, CC. I have had my Montana since Jan 18, 2018 and the Furrion Camera works but, display goes on and off while driving. I do have my headlights on when I tow always. I contacted Furrion Support and they are telling me that my problem is that my GMC is equipped with "Lamp Out Sensor" technology through the factory installed 7 pin wiring connector in my bed. Furrion suggested that I buy an adapter from etrailer to place between my truck's 7 pin connector and my Montana's trailer wiring connector to eliminate this "Lamp Out Sensor" problem. Has anyone heard of this and if so did you get this adapter to work for your Furrion Vision 2 Observation Camera? I called GMC Support and they referred me to my dealer for answers, awaiting a call back from dealer now. Thanks in advance for any support and assistance you can provide.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Well for $16.00 and shipping it might be worth a try.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
hardinrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Well for $16.00 and shipping it might be worth a try.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/20142.html
Thanks. I had already ordered this one but, was just curious if anyone else had similar issues.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

We install lots of the Furrion cameras on lots of different vehicles and I haven't seen this issue yet. I am curious if anyone else chimes in. Are you running the Headlights on "AUTO" or "ON"?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
hardinrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We install lots of the Furrion cameras on lots of different vehicles and I haven't seen this issue yet. I am curious if anyone else chimes in. Are you running the Headlights on "AUTO" or "ON"?
I always run the headlights in the On position.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
hardinrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB with Legacy Package. 5th Wheel came with Furrion Vision 2 Wireless Observation Camera. My Tow Vehicle is a 2016 GMC DenaliHD 3500 DRW LB, CC. I have had my Montana since Jan 18, 2018 and the Furrion Camera works but, display goes on and off while driving. I do have my headlights on when I tow always. I contacted Furrion Support and they are telling me that my problem is that my GMC is equipped with "Lamp Out Sensor" technology through the factory installed 7 pin wiring connector in my bed. Furrion suggested that I buy an adapter from etrailer to place between my truck's 7 pin connector and my Montana's trailer wiring connector to eliminate this "Lamp Out Sensor" problem. Has anyone heard of this and if so did you get this adapter to work for your Furrion Vision 2 Observation Camera? I called GMC Support and they referred me to my dealer for answers, awaiting a call back from dealer now. Thanks in advance for any support and assistance you can provide.
UPDATE:
I received my Lamp Out Adapter from vendor via UPS yesterday. I began my journey for Goshen, IN for a Fall Rally. The Observation Camera to my dismay still goes in and out while traveling at highway speed and even when going slower. So for anyone considering purchasing said adapter for a truck 2015 or newer, be advised it may or may not work. I have reached back out to Furrion Support and anxiously await their reply.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
packrat1969

Hi,

As a technician that troubleshoots a lot of different equipment for a living, I would like to clarify some of the language used in the original posting in an effort to determine just what is happening. Bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I have a 2018.5 Montana 3921FB with Legacy Package. 5th Wheel came with Furrion Vision 2 Wireless Observation Camera. My Tow Vehicle is a 2016 GMC DenaliHD 3500 DRW LB, CC. I have had my Montana since Jan 18, 2018 and the Furrion Camera works but, display goes on and off while driving.
-Is the display monitor power or is the screen just "going black". Is there any way to tell the difference? Power LED on/off? What is powering the viewing monitor, a cigarette lighter adapter? Verify the integrity of it's insertion/connections. Is the screen backlight still visible in darkness when the screen is black?

-Is this a camera video signal reception issue? I don't know the Furrion system specifically, but some monitors will show you a black screen if the receiver is not able to interpret the received signal. This could be an RF or interference issue. I think the Furrion Vision 2 system uses a "digital" transmission scheme that is supposed to work up to 100'. These do tend to be more robust to interference that older analog signals, however when they fail, they may fail completely. The result? A black screen.

-Is the camera wired into the running light circuit on the trailer or is it wired into a different circuit? Has anyone checked this wiring? I know this sounds basic, but it's a good place to start. I wish I had a dollar for every poorly fastened crimp connector I've found in RV wiring.

Quote:
I do have my headlights on when I tow always. I contacted Furrion Support and they are telling me that my problem is that my GMC is equipped with "Lamp Out Sensor" technology through the factory installed 7 pin wiring connector in my bed.
-I have something similar to this in my Ford F-150, and unless there are shorts in the wiring (which shuts down that circuit), I would hope the system would tell you if there is a problem with a specific circuit (right, left tail/turn, etc). Does your trailer have LED tail/turn/marker lights?

-Is there an opportunity to power the camera with a battery temporarily? This may help eliminate some of the questions as to whether it is related to the truck's lighting system.

Quote:
Furrion suggested that I buy an adapter from etrailer to place between my truck's 7 pin connector and my Montana's trailer wiring connector to eliminate this "Lamp Out Sensor" problem. Has anyone heard of this and if so did you get this adapter to work for your Furrion Vision 2 Observation Camera? I called GMC Support and they referred me to my dealer for answers, awaiting a call back from dealer now. Thanks in advance for any support and assistance you can provide.
Keep us posted with what you learn/find.

packrat

TT: 2017 2520RL, Twin Trojan T105s, BM-1 Compact, Xantrex SW1000, Curt Roundbar WDH

TV: Mostly stock 2016 Bluejeans F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew 5.0, 6.5' bed...
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
justlkn

I have the same camera system and a 2016 Silverado 3500HD and I have not had any issues with it at all.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

I have not had this issue with mine but my camera is powered from power module instead of the running lights (camera stays on as long as battery disconnect is on). Hope you find the problem, I wouldn't tow without it now that I've gotten used to having it.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
Big1

Their are two kind my first one I had did this but when I upgrade to another camera it work find.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
hardinrob

In the way of follow-up, I had Furrion Wireless Camera replaced by warranty while at MOC Fall Rally. The new camera works great and has only dropped out one time since my install. Still not sure what was wrong with first unit but, all is good now.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
arch113

I have a Furrion camera connected to the rig I have in my signature, my screen flickers and goes out a lot too. I think my problem has to do with signal strength. I have re-adjusted the antenna on the camera and installed a bigger one on the monitor, helped a little bit. Going to try to connect a bigger antenna on the camera itself to see if that solves it.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #13
arch113

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch113 View Post
I have a Furrion camera connected to the rig I have in my signature, my screen flickers and goes out a lot too. I think my problem has to do with signal strength. I have re-adjusted the antenna on the camera and installed a bigger one on the monitor, helped a little bit. Going to try to connect a bigger antenna on the camera itself to see if that solves it.

Bigger antenna wouldnt fit on the camera (connector was fine, but space around the camera was blocking it). Have to figure something else out. Is there a wireless booster for the camera?