Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, you can leave your travel trailer or fifth wheel (they're the same when it comes to electrical systems) plugged in all winter. If you do, make it at least a monthly check to be sure the battery electrolyte level is OK. The WFCO converter has three stages (some have 4) the absorption mode (normal/13.6 VDC) for regular charging, a bulk mode (boost charging/14.4 VDC) and a float mode which is about the same as a trickle charger to maintain your battery at 13.2 VDC. If the converter is operating normally, you won't have any problems. But, if the converter doesn't enter the float mode, it can cause your battery to "boil off" electrolyte, so watch the battery fluid level on a regular basis.

A fully charged battery won't freeze, so as long as you're plugged in, the battery should be OK.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Leave mine plugged in all the time. If the converter works right the water in the battery(s) will be just fine but you need to check it/them frequently to find out what your particular setup does. Unplug them and the WILL completely discharge which is very detrimental to their lifespan. You could remove them, but in my trailer that is a real pain so I just leave them plugged in and check them periodically. Example; stayed in FL for 5 months and never checked. Fully prepped before leaving and checked immediately upon return. All full, all in excellent shape - But, that is not to imply you can just do that. I have had faulty batteries, burned up batteries, bulged batteries and leaking batteries. These are new and I keep an eagle eye on them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #23
ron130fe

Thanks for info, my thoughts are the same as yours just wanted a warm fuzzy.
Retired C-130 Loadmaster (wife)
ron130fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter