Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Jeremy888

toilet troubles PPP. or " stinking to high heaven "

Jeremy 888 here again witb another Persistent Plumbing Problem.in Montana 5th wheel. .. Does anyone know who makes this toilet with the ball valve flush ? (2017 3950 BR )It consistently will not close all the way , which lets oders in from the black tank . I have used plumbers grease to help it close but it only lasts several hours depending on use . Is there a way to adjust up the spring tension? Does anyone know abetter product to use? I fear that continually letting the valve snap shut by releasing foot when fully depressed to close it will destroy the valve . Currently this is the only remedy plus grease that keeps it shut . Still working on " poop mountsin " in tbe black tank the previous owner left ..So no amout of deodorizer is effective . . Keystone Manualls in trailor have zip zero nada useful intormation ... HELP !!!
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's probably a Dometic/Sea-Land toilet. You can purchase a replacement seal which can be installed without removing the toilet. Be sure to follow instructions on how to lubricate and "form" it to the ball valve using hot water. Easy to do, but if you don't read the instructions (I know, not a manly thing to do) you'll never get it to fit right......

If that doesn't work, you can also buy a replacement ball valve/foot pedal assembly, but usually that's not necessary as long as the spring is pulling the valve closed after flushing. It's almost always (never say never) fixed by replacing the bowl seal... Available anywhere "good RV toilets are sold"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
bustersdaddy

I rigged up an extension wand for my pressure washer with an elbow on it. I works great cleans the sides so the "fake readings actually changed"
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
Alpine

I feel your pain my friend.... I have replaced the seal to no avail. Mine is obviously not a seal problem. When flushing the toilet the ball valve does not completely close unless you let the foot pedal snap up about three inches from the top. You can move the ball valve with your finger (front to back motion) about 3/4 of an inch... this is not normal, as I have been to RV stores that have my same toilet Dometic 310 and have tried the ball valve in new toilets and they are rock solid with absolutely no movement.

Having researched it to ad nauseaum… I will purchase a new toilet. It has become a pain in the neck and I'm sure folks at least 3 rvs down can hear the loud SNAP each time we flush!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet