Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #101
Tireman9

The load formulas that resulted in the numbers in the Load & inflation charts has not changed since the late 60's. That formula was based on a 65 mph MAXIMUM operating speed. The lower speed was the trade-off you get when you increase the load capacity. "THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH"
Look at the load capacity of a similar sized LT tire. If ST tire companies suddenly discovered some magic rubber or special tire design feature why don't they put that magic stuff in the LT and Passenger tires?

The "Speed Symbol" is simply an indication of temperature resistance of a tire on a short-term(30 min) step speed test. The symbol is based an an SAE test that specifically is for Passenger type tires. ST type are not covered by SAE.

Those who choose to run at 65+ need to remember that you are "consuming" the finite number of cycles that make up a tire life. Faster speed = higher temperature. Higher Temperature = shorter life.

This a Science folks, not magic.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #102
Cracker

So - what speed are we suppose to drive???
Old 09-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #103
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
The yielding or lack thereof while entering an interstate is most prevalent in Michigan. I go there a lot on business, and that was one of the first things I noticed. If you don't yield to those entering, they will almost run into you and flip you off, even if you can't move over or slow down due to traffic.
If you've traveled here that much then you should be aware that Michigan doesn't have yield signs for merging traffic at the end of on the entrance ramps. IMO it's only common courtesy to move over if possible. As far as slowing down when is that not possible unless you have someone tailgating you?
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #104
Tireman9

Major tire companies that put the name of the company on their tires show 75 mph max for RV application. That's not average or 75 plus a bit.

Now if you aren't concerned about having tire failure then drive the speed you want.

I have driven my Class-C up to 70 or possibly 73 but I have driven across the US 4 times with cruse set at 62 - 63. I would suggest the same for other RVs. Note I also run mymotorhome tires at + 10% psi. The computer simulations for trailers suggest we run the sidewall pressure PLUS have a 15% margin on load capacity too.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #105
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

As long as you're above 45mph on the interstate, you're good to go. At least legal wise. [emoji41]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #106
Cracker

True, with respect to 45 mph, but that’s slow enough to constitute a hazard in my opinion. On the other hand, I don’t have any problem with 60 mph on a 70 mph Interstate highway.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #107
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
75-80 if you wish.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #108
CaptnJohn

Maybe because I'm an old fart at 70, maybe because I've been towing since the 1970s, maybe because I was a fleet manager for many years ~~ but I see some stupid drivers on the roads today. Maybe because I've seen bodies and damage on the roads. There are some professional (?) drivers out there that should not have any license! As the driver shortage increases there will be more and a higher percentage of idiots. Now it seems with the higher numbers of RVs on the road those same comments apply.
I have over 4.5 million at fault accident free miles. I pull a 43' 5er at 63 - 66 mph and leave a lot of space between vehicles. I have what I believe are the best tires on the truck (Michelin) and 5er (Sailun) but that is not a guarantee. After reading all 11 pages of this thread I'll give those pulling an RV even more space as some of the comments here are very concerning.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 09-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #109
Paddyge

Speed

I have no issue with being judgmental! Speed kills...this from my HP friends and every sane bit of data!

Keep it 60ish in the best of conditions...otherwise it may not just be yourself and/or passengers killed or horribly injured, but innocent people! It's bad enough when bad things happen when you are being safe...but do you want to live with the death or injury of others? There is no where you need to be that is worth a life. If you can't stop speeding...stop RVing...I don't want you near me or mine.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #110
Paddyge

Let me know where you are...so I can plan to stay away!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #111
Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
75-80 if you wish.
Please note that my question was in direct response to the original post that immediately preceded it - which seemed to imply that there was no “safe” speed.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #112
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
That's a good one flyboy
X2
I was ROTFL!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 10-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #113
apachewolf

High speeds

NOW I know where all the tires remnants I see on the raid come from. The fast travel trailers!

With a 2014 F150 and a Laredo in tow we keep it at 55mph when towing. That leaves room to stop and react if something comes up. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cent.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #114
shrpram

Towing speeds

First, I am an old fuddy duddy.. I am really concerned by these comments about driving 80 pulling anything.

I did some research and math.
The average time to react to a problem is 2.3 seconds. At 60 mph it is bad enough that you will travel 200+ feet before you can get your foot on the brake. Increase that speed to 80 and you will travel 246 feet before you can START braking. That is the length of at least 4 trucks with a trailer.

Please just be smart. Even if you think you are the best driver on the highway, 80 mpg makes no sense. You have an RV that means recreational vehicle . Slow down and help protect us all.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #115
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpram View Post
First, I am an old fuddy duddy.. I am really concerned by these comments about driving 80 pulling anything.

I did some research and math.
The average time to react to a problem is 2.3 seconds. At 60 mph it is bad enough that you will travel 200+ feet before you can get your foot on the brake. Increase that speed to 80 and you will travel 246 feet before you can START braking. That is the length of at least 4 trucks with a trailer.

Please just be smart. Even if you think you are the best driver on the highway, 80 mpg makes no sense. You have an RV that means recreational vehicle . Slow down and help protect us all.
Speaking as a fellow "fuddy duddy" I recall that during my high school drivers training days a specially equipped car came to school. It had two "guns" of some sort mounted at the front right bumper that would shoot yellow powder on the road. Since we were still in training the adult would drive the car and us young bucks with "razor sharp reflexes" would sit in the front passenger seat with the door window open and our very own brake pedal on the floor. When the driver pressed his brake pedal the first gun fired and I instantly pressed the brake to fire the second gun. It was a real eye-opener to see the distance between yellow spots at a mere 35-40 mph. What a real life lesson on reaction time. We also measured from the first yellow dot to where the car had stopped.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #116
C.LeeNick

On one of our many Death Valley get togethers years ago, a buddy of mine brought his Bighorn fifth-wheel in to Furnace Creek from the east. Cruising down that grade, I do not know what speed he hit, but rumor has it he was going quite fast. I only saw the aftermath of the tire flying apart and tearing up his wheel well in the process, after he arrived in camp. Apparently he had no clue the tire had let go, and was merrily cruising along as the tire disintegrated. Someone finally passed him and signaled him to look behind. He had passed on the TPMS on the Bighorn when he purchased it. But had it added when he got home from that trip. Repairs to the trailer ran about $1500, if I remember right. Watch your speed.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #117
Laredo Tugger

Well actually I am on the road now and I have slowed down. Yes a couple of runs up to the speed of the fast lane for passing but for the most part I have dropped my speed and have no problem with it. Reading the advice on here has helped, a lot. Thanks.
I have a TPMS and the tires start out a little under pressure but heat up to the proper pressure in a few miles. The TV I have tows like a dream and will do much higher speed if I want. Which is nice when you need it.
RMc
Old 10-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #118
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Speaking as a fellow "fuddy duddy" I recall that during my high school drivers training days a specially equipped car came to school. It had two "guns" of some sort mounted at the front right bumper that would shoot yellow powder on the road. Since we were still in training the adult would drive the car and us young bucks with "razor sharp reflexes" would sit in the front passenger seat with the door window open and our very own brake pedal on the floor. When the driver pressed his brake pedal the first gun fired and I instantly pressed the brake to fire the second gun. It was a real eye-opener to see the distance between yellow spots at a mere 35-40 mph. What a real life lesson on reaction time. We also measured from the first yellow dot to where the car had stopped.
Count me as a fuddy duddy as well along with one of those guys that got to witness the specially equipped car. It was eye opening. They don't do that anymore and it's a shame. Best I can tell a driver's test now is just being able to drive a couple of miles without killing someone and you're good to go.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #119
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
Tires are rated 65 mph so that is my limit.
Same here.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
Old 10-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #120
Alpine

King "Fuddy Duddy" here..... 60mph! And no I don't hold up traffic! Always when on two lane roads I will make a way for someone behind me get around safely!

Remembering that California has a 55mph maximum when towing!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Closed Thread

Tags
tow