Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Cmccul

2019 Cougar 1/2 ton fifth wheel landing gear

I'm having trouble with the landing gear. I'm using an Anderson Hitch and when raising the camper off the ball the motor is straining and clicking. I'ts like it doesn't have enough power. Camper is plugged in.
Cmccul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Confirming you are raising the king pin out of the receiver. Raising the "camper off the ball" would be a TT thingy.
It sounds like you may have a bad cell in your battery. I know the auto level system is "voltage sensitive" and your landing gear jacks are included in that system. Even though you have a new trailer, if the unit sat on a lot for a long period (and the battery was left on) or the battery had exposure to cold weather it may not take a charge back to full with a bad cell. Also it will read full voltage on your system menu with a bad cell.
If you can do a specific gravity check on all of the battery cells, you might find the culprit. Would be something I would bring to the dealers attention, especially if you recently took delivery of the unit.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #3
Cmccul

2019 Cougar 1/2 ton fifth wheel landing gear

Wouldn't the trailer plugged in to shore power work even if the battery wan't good.

Actually the Anderson Hitch for 5th wheels does have a ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7989.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	24440  
Old 11-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmccul View Post
Wouldn't the trailer plugged in to shore power work even if the battery wan't good.
Surprisingly no. The converter delivers great voltage, but not huge current. The mechanized systems gulp current. If there's not a good battery online to supply it, they crap out.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Cmccul

My dealer tried a new landing gear motor. He tried a new gear box. He hooked it up to a battery charger. Still sluggish and clicking trying to unhitch.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
LHaven

Battery charger won't do squat, for the same reason. Have him hook it up to a known good battery.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Copy the ball. Was not familiar with that set up.
When you stated lowering the landing gear with the the "camper plugged in" I presumed plugged into your TV. My bad.
As mentioned, a bad battery will short change the mechanized systems. That would be the first thing I would check.
Good luck.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
Canonman

Something is definitely wrong. We have a very similar combination weight wise. Also using the Level Up 3.0 and Anderson hitch. Never had the front jacks start "clicking" or the motor bog down. I don't believe the ball on the Anderson can put that much of a bind on the funnel connector.
Tried to raise the Cougar to reconnect after some warranty work was done and had no response because the batteries were dead. (Thanks CW)
The 3.0 control panel will tell you the battery state of charge. Just scroll down the menu till you come to it. If I remember right you need 12.6 or 12.7 as a minimum. Others might know the specific number but I know it will work fine with 12.6vdc.
If you only have one battery, low voltage could be a problem.
I'd suspect the landing gear might be on some kind of a bind. You might try just raising and lowering the Cougar without the truck in the way To verify the landing gear is extending and retracting normally without any problems.
Another thought. Are you extending the lower portion of the landing gear (about 5 holes worth) before using the 3.0 to extend the main landing gear under power?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6659.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	24445  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Cmccul

I do not have the auto level system. Electric front landing gear and electric rear stabilizers. Getting ready to hitch is a problem too, just raising it up to back under it sounds like it’s struggling.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Just to be clear, you said you have electric rear stabilizers. Are you retracting them before using the landing gear to raise the front of the trailer? If they are down, resting on the ground, they will prevent the trailer from "levering" at the axles and cause excessive weight on the front landing gear.

As asked earlier, have you tried the system with a "known good battery of adequate size" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
Rwake901

Quote:
I'm having trouble with the landing gear. I'm using an Anderson Hitch and when raising the camper off the ball the motor is straining and clicking. I'ts like it doesn't have enough power. Camper is plugged in.

This happened to me when I first purchased our 5th wheel and the battery disconnect switch was off.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

From reading through the post I see unanswered questions and misdiagnosis from the dealer.

First the dealer. This an electromechanical device, not some sort of "magical wizardry". Sounds like they "threw some parts at it" and hoped to fix it. IF (and at this point it's a big if) the electric is checked out thoroughly and tests good then it must be a mechanical issue barring any "operator error" i.e. rear stabilizers down, hitch not uncoupling, using at some extreme angle, etc. For the dealer to "throw their hands up" is unacceptable.

Secondly the battery question is still unanswered. A very inexpensive VOM can answer a lot of questions. Connect the meter set to DC volts to the battery. Read and record voltage while on shore power, should be over 13v. Disconnect from shore power after charging overnight (no longer charging) disconnect the ground wire and let it set for an hour or longer. Test voltage and record. If the voltage drops to 12 or less then you have a bad cell and the battery is only taking a "top charge". A good reputable auto parts store or someplace like Battery Warehouse should be able to load test the battery and tell you what you have. You cannot assume that the battery from the dealer when delivered is either new nor undamaged.

Good luck.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
Canonman

Quote:
I do not have the auto level system. Electric front landing gear and electric rear stabilizers. Getting ready to hitch is a problem too, just raising it up to back under it sounds like it’s struggling.
OK, irrespective of the 3.0 Level up, I believe if the front landing gear is struggling just to raise the trailer to the reconnect level there must be some kind of abnormal resistance or bind in the front landing gear. I'd try to get the service manager or his "top tech" to come out and witness exactly what is happening, assuming the problem is reliably duplicatable.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
Cmccul

My dealer says it's a bad leg. He ordered one, should be in soon. I hope he's right. But they tried a new motor and gear box, there is not much else it could be.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
My dealer says it's a bad leg. He ordered one, should be in soon. I hope he's right. But they tried a new motor and gear box, there is not much else it could be.
Be sure to report on the leg swap and let us know if that was the issue. Interesting thread!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically the landing gear legs don't "fail" but when they stop working it's because they get bent and won't slide inside each other properly...

You didn't mention if the dealer is changing this out as a warranty issue or if he's going to charge you for the damaged leg...

I'd argue about the warranty with a hope that they might reconisder, but don't be surprised if the dealer can't get it covered as a warranty repair....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #17
roadglide

With my Anderson hitch it is possible to over extend the electric jacks landing gear . I made jack stands from 7 inch pipe that solved my problem with front landing gear clicking or sluggish. My experience is with the Anderson hitch the landing gear center extension needs to be out for the extra lift over the ball, normally that would only happen on a up hill incline.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #18
idcruiserman

Possible the worm gear is binding in one or both legs. Next time try taking it apart and lightly grease the parts. It may have been bent during use.
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #19
Cmccul

This probably won't be a warranty item. I bought the camper August 2019. Over the one year mark. I did not buy an extended warranty.

I don't know how a leg got bent, if it did.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #20
pdaniel

Quote:
My Solitude has hydraulic system and brother in law has a fiver with electric motr system. Both of us have Andersen hitches. I tow with a 2016 Ram 3500 with slightly oversize tires and airbags which requires me to add about 6-8 inches of leveling blocks to the front landing gear so I can clear the ball. Brother in law had the same issue you speak of-running out of extension with his motorized system until I convinced him to use the blocks. However, if you have the adjustable legs on your front gear then extend them about 4-5 inches. You will need to experiment so your autolevel is not affected (not able get the nose low enough).
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel, landing gear