Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Would have tried to go that way until Rand McNally RV GPS told me I couldn't. Wonder what they do if you try to go through?
I bet it depends on who’s working that day. Maybe a stern “go the other way” or a big fine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preyou View Post
Just for reference, what is the legal height of tractor trailers
Here in Canada it is 13'6" or 4.12 Meters
In the USA I can find references that say the same, 13'6" but also some references say 14' so I am unsure.

My Keystone Montana 3811MS is 13'4" or 4.1M so I am very confident I will clear any bridge that trucks use.

In any case my Garmin RV GPS routes me away from any bridge or tunnel that is too low.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Would have tried to go that way until Rand McNally RV GPS told me I couldn't. Wonder what they do if you try to go through?

Absolutely nothing. We've gone around it, and we've gone through it, no difference either way (except we avoid the free tour of the worst parts of the city). I've gone through tunnels all over the US, and I haven't found a single one that has the same stick up its backside as do the city fathers of Baltimore, who frankly have bigger problems they should be paying attention to.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:15 AM   #24
Northofu1

I have been using RV trip wizard and backing it up with Allstays Pro. Both show hazards, gas stations, Walmart's etc. Allstays even has overnight free parking reviews in the usual places, walmart, cracker barrel, Cabellas etc.
If you own a GMC or Chev with navi, you can set your trailer size in your preferences settings.

P.S. Only place that I have seen that cares about propane are ferries.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

The folks at the 2 mentioned tunnels on I 95 and I 895 in Baltimore are Maryland Toll Facilities, not Balt. City entity's. They are patrolled my Maryland Toll Facilities Police. There are "truck check posts" at each portal that used to be maned by MTFP officers.
Many decades ago they replaced the officers at the checkpoints with private contractors. After that personnel change the ban on lpg tanks were no longer enforced or more accurately "reported" so they don't pull over RVs unless they trip a sensor (overnight).

With that being said, if you are pulled over for any reason, or involved in an accident, then the likelihood of being charged for "violating a tunnel restriction" is very high.

I know this as accurate because my best friend was a MTF LEO as is out nephew's wife.

There is a tunnel in Norfolk, VA that will make you pull over and turn off the valves before entering the tunnel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
TDoggart

DeLorme maps and GPS are very good.
TDoggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #27
mjsibe

Trip planning

Good Sam trip planner works well.
Put in your restrictions
It maps it out.
I also use Garmin Truck GPS
Set restrictions Propane height weight width &length
Travel all over the country.
No issues
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #28
jimborokz

We have a Magellan RV GPS that has worked well for us. One campground we stopped at had specific directions on their web site to use a certain exit and route off the Interstate and not the closest one because the turn into the campground was too tight for most rigs from the other direction. I wondered how our gps would route us. It used the correct route. I thought that was pretty good and have trusted it since. But one always has to be aware of what's going on around us, especially in work zones. Following semi's is usually safe though.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #29
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
Hi there, i am a newbee, what do you use to plan a trip and take advice on potential pitfalls such as retricted bridge or tunnel with LPG or limited height clearance, etc. Please advise.
We use RV Trip Wizard for planning trips. $39.00 a year well spent. We list RV Parks, state parks, BLM and NFS camping areas, city parks, etc. They are connected with Campground Reviews, so you can get an approximate overnight cost, and see how people have rated the campground/park. I wouldn't travel without it. It also tells you about low clearances, etc. You can program it to avoid toll roads or ferries, if you want. You can even have it route you so you stay off interstates, if you want to travel "the slow way" and see more.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote