Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Not so funny story:
So this customer orders a new unit from the factory so she can get the colors she wants. Factory decides mid production to stop putting quick connect fittings on. Her unit comes in, she asks why no quick connect. We contact factory and find out her unit was the FIRST one on the line without. Missed it by that much...

I don’t know what the outcome was.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Thirty years ago NO travel trailers had a propane hookup for a grill, only a handful of luxury trailers had gray tanks, most black tanks were 20 gallons or less, battery chargers were automotive type, dragged out every morning and connected to the "old truck battery" that was installed on the trailer when a new battery was bought for the truck. Air conditioning was optional and only purchased by those in the south or in the west, northern trailers just didn't have that extra $200 option. Most mattresses were a 4" slab of foam on the "main bed" and the rest were either 2" "Bunkie mattress pads" or at best, 3" foam pads with vinyl covers on one side and fabric on the other. That way the adults wouldn't sweat when sleeping or sitting on them and the pads wouldn't be soaked with pee (or Kool-Aid) when the kids had an accident. Televisions, radios, awnings, recliners, carpet, enclosed plumbing and winter protection were all "unheard of" in most trailer lines.

Trailers evolved into the "option filled units" we have today over many years. I wonder if, in the attempt to get back to 2500 pound trailers, they are starting to evolve back to "basic trailers" ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
66joej

Yes John I do remember the TTs of old. We bought a brand new 1972 Triple E 22' TT. We were the envy of the park (dry camping) at Dog Lake in Thunder Bay ON.
It had a 3 way fridge and inside propane stove with an oven. Plus a bathroom. Talk about "uptown" WOW!
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Yes John I do remember the TTs of old. We bought a brand new 1972 Triple E 22' TT. We were the envy of the park (dry camping) at Dog Lake in Thunder Bay ON.
It had a 3 way fridge and inside propane stove with an oven. Plus a bathroom. Talk about "uptown" WOW!
Remember the old Dometic 3.5 cuft refrigerator with the "2" door on the outside where you had to use needle nose pliers to hold the kitchen match and insert it about 8" inside that little door to light the pilot? All that, in the wind, on a rainy night, while setting up the trailer? How about that "push and hold" bypass for the water heater pilot? You know, the one that always blew out with any wind over a "slight breeze" ??? Seems like it would blow out if the kids ran past the water heater too fast LOL

I remember our old Prowler (orange and white) that had an Instamatic 6 cuft refrigerator. We could light the pilot with a "twist knob sparker" from the inside. We thought that was such an improvement, until the flint was used up and we found that we had to remove the refrigerator from the wall to access the flint. Thank heavens for my trusty Zippo lighter. I always kept a few spare flints under the cotton wadding that held the lighter fluid. Otherwise, the refrigerator would have been "just another storage cabinet".....

Today's RV's are "luxury palaces" compared to even the most expensive trailers "back in the day"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #15
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Hard to believe an Alpine does not have an outside quick connect for BBQ. Our lowly 2013 Cougar 24' TT came with that and a BBQ with stand. I guess they found where they can save a buck.
Our previously owned 2015 Cougar came with the quick connect. I didn't even think to look for it when we purchased the Alpine and was disappointed to find that there isn't one. I now own a low pressure grill that I have no use for.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Our previously owned 2015 Cougar came with the quick connect. I didn't even think to look for it when we purchased the Alpine and was disappointed to find that there isn't one. I now own a low pressure grill that I have no use for.
It is very easy to add a "T" to one of the fittings under your trailer and put a QD fitting on the other end of that "T". Cost would probably be less than $15 if you DIY and $50 or so if you have a plumber do it for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

John beat me to an answer. But, going further I would guess any propane or RV place would put one in for around 150. Including the connections and hose any length you want in a hour or two.

Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane