Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Tire pressure

My trailer lists pressure at 65 psi for the 225/75-15 load range D tires that come with the trailer.
These tires were replaced with load range E tires of the same size. Load range E tires are rated to run at 80 psi
I weighed my trailer and have just under 8,000 lbs on the axles and 1,800 lbs pin weight.
Looking at Maxxis load and inflation tables they show 45 psi at 2,020 lbs per tire.
I don't plan on running below the 65 psi listed for the original tires, I think 45 psi is too low, but I am now running a stiffer tire, so should I be running at a higher psi than 65? I think 80 psi would be too hard for the weight.

I know many people go to a higher load range tires, so I wonder about other opinions?

Thanks
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I went from the same tire you had to the same E rated tires. My trailer is 10k gvw and runs about 9200 or so. I run my trailer tires at 80 psi and completely disregard the "tongue/pin weight". That is an ideal number but when you are driving down the road hitting frost heaves, pot holes, dips, jumps....each of those tires isn't carrying the "ideal" load. In many, if not most, they are way overloaded in some of those scenarios. As far as rougher ride, I've never seen it. Since going to the E tires vs the D tires my trailer actually rides better and nothing moves inside any longer. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #3
Wing-in-it

I always run 80 psi. Low tire pressure creates heat.... Heat is bad.

JMHO.....

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
notanlines

It would be my opinion at the tires should run at 80 PSI like Danny suggested. I can't back that up with manufacturers informational data, but when you went up from a D to an E I believe the best scenario is 80 PSI.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

225 80R15 LRD tires at 65PSI are rated to carry 2540 pounds
225 80R15 LRE tires at 65PSI are also rated to carry 2540 pounds and at 80PSI are rated to carry 2830 pounds.

Why go to the expense of buying "increased load tires" and then run them at reduced pressure and lose that extra capacity. There's "nothing extra" and no "increased protection" when you run LRE tires at LRD pressures.

Sort of like going on a diet, then buying snack food to put in the refrigerator, knowing that you won't eat it and watching it go bad on the shelf while not using it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
BrentB

For what its worth I have the same size and brand tires as you. Three of them are load range d and one is load range e. (I had to replace 1 and LRE was all that was available.) I run all 4 at 65 psi, and the tire pressure monitoring system shows similar temperatures for all 4. If any of them were under-inflated, it would over-heat.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

This has been debated ad nauseum on this forum. Do a search and you will go blind with all the reading. One omission I note is what are your wheels rated for? Check that the wheels can take the increase pressure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

John sums it up best. If you pay for E's, use them as E's. Otherwise save the money and stick with D's.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
mazboy

keep it simple. 'E' rated....80psi
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
keep it simple. 'E' rated....80psi
Provided the wheels are rated high enough, that would my 1st check (stamped on rear side of the wheel somewhere) before going to 80 psi.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Provided the wheels are rated high enough, that would my 1st check (stamped on rear side of the wheel somewhere) before going to 80 psi.

From what I read the wheels are rated by weight and not pressure. I also found out while researching TPMS systems the valve stems are rated by pressure and the stems in my wheels are rated at 65 psi. I've made an appointment to replace them with the proper stems.

Most all the responses are what I expected. Since they would be stiffer than D rated tires, I would think they would flex less at 65 psi than the D rated tires do? I'm thinking Keystone planed on 65 psi to allow for higher loads on individual tires over varying conditions. Since the trailer manufactures just meet the minimum they went with D rated tires to save on cost. If they had installed E rated tires maybe they would have still listed inflation at 65 psi?

If you relate it to your car or truck they all run at something lower than the tires max rating. My truck calls for 55 psi in front and 70 psi in the rear for example. But with that said, I may just run them at 80 psi? Maybe I shouldn't overthink it? I appreciate the input. I have till after Christmas when we leave too snowbird to decide.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, the E tires are stiffer than Ds thankfully. Think about it this way; my trailer gvw is 10k, tires were d rated at 2540 each giving me a cushion of only 40 lbs per tire over gvw at max inflation of 65 psi. I do not consider weights by removing the tongue/pin weight; sort of like the TV "max tow" rating...pretty much meaningless to me since 1) the tongue/pin is going to vary and 2) 1/2 the time you are on the highway that weight is being transferred to the trailer/trailer tires so the "ideal" weight that the manufacturer straps you with is just idealistic IMO.

Your trailer is apparently running considerably heavier than mine and I wouldn't for one second think I could bet by on a D rated tire - especially after seeing the damage they can do in about 10 seconds when they disintegrate.

Do the E rated tires flex less than the D? I think so. Is that bad? No, not at all. In fact, it is probably a good thing. Yes, the manufacturers give you the VERY minimum to get by the LOWEST possible rating they can come up with, which, in real life is generally well below what you should have and in many dangerous IMO (as in my case).

Some wheels have the psi stamped on them, some the weight. The psi will correspond to the weight for whatever weight rating the max tire has. Mine was stamped with the weight, we put in new valve stems when the tires were installed.

Yes, you should run the new E rated tires at 80psi if the wheel allows; I would not do anything less, especially at your weight. And yes, you are overthinking it. Just get the E tires, inflate them to 80psi and get some peace of mind....beats the heck out of sitting on the side of the road with a tire carcass wrapped around your axle, your wheel well torn up, gas lines cut into and underbelly all cut up....in the middle of nowhere. And, btw, the inflation pressures recommended on my truck are 80 psi rear (max inflation) and 65 front. Don't overthink it....let logic, and safety, be your guide.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Tires are different for the RV vs tow vehicle or passenger car. I adjust the psi in the rear truck tires depending on the load. Some do that, nowdays with the factory TPMS some do not adjust them. RV tires stay at the max psi the tire has printed on them.
Regarding the rv tires, I changed brands and from d to e and from 65 to 80 psi. No noticed change in bounce or tracking/towing. Maybe if you rode in the RV you might find differences. For me it is just a added safety factor. As others have mentioned.
I firmly believe the RV tires get a lot more abuse then many realize and unless your reading through the RV forms about tires many do not inspect or check them as they need. Tires/wheels/bearing real important and not given the same inspection as many other parts of the RV especially for the new RVer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
fjr vfr

Great input. BTW, my trailer's gross is 10,600 lbs. When I put it on the CAT scale the trailer axles weighed 7,380 and my pin weight at 1,780. total trailer weight 9,160 lbs.

Those numbers will go up slightly for our snowbird trip, as we'll be adding a few more things we don't take on shorter trips.
I was considering splitting the difference to 72 psi, but all the input is swaying me towards 80 psi. I guess I can't go wrong with that decision.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Great input. BTW, my trailer's gross is 10,600 lbs. When I put it on the CAT scale the trailer axles weighed 7,380 and my pin weight at 1,780. total trailer weight 9,160 lbs.

Those numbers will go up slightly for our snowbird trip, as we'll be adding a few more things we don't take on shorter trips.
I was considering splitting the difference to 72 psi, but all the input is swaying me towards 80 psi. I guess I can't go wrong with that decision.

Thanks
When an owner adds a load range (D-E) they are getting a like sized tire that provides an identical load capacity at 65 PSI. The only real difference is a few materials have been changed to allow the tire to carry more weight at higher inflation pressures. They both use the same load/inflation charts.

You're good to go With a valve stem pressure rated at 80 PSI and a wheel PSI rating of 80 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
fjr vfr

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
BadmanRick

If the tires say 80psi on them you run 80psi. It will be a very expensive mistake to run less when the tire blows from too much heat and flexing.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #18
Tireman9

Tire Pressure when changin tires

You have a few different things to consider.
GAWR is not based just on the tires. All other components such as springs, shackles, brackets welded to the frame and even the strength of the frame where brackets are welded on are considered by the RV MFG. Changing one or even a couple components does not increase the strength of the other components.

As a tire engineer, I will focus on the change in tire load range and tire inflation pressure requirements.
1. It is the air pressure, not the tire that supports the load so just changing the tire load range does not increase the load capacity.
2. In Trailer application better tire life (reducing the chance of a belt separation) can be achieved with an increase in inflation up to the inflation number molded on the tire sidewall.
3. You need to confirm that no single tire has been overloaded. This means get each tire on a scale. you may need to search for a location where this can be done as not all truck scales allow this. Also get the weight with the trailer at its heaviest.

More later
Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
rmhaney

Make sure you check the rims. My new Sprinter came with China Bombs load range D. I checked the back of the rims and they were stamped for load range E so I up graded to E. Tires are designed to run at a specific pressure and will have normal wear using that pressure. Anything less or more will give you uneven wear patterns and may cause the tire to run hot in warmer weather resulting in premature tire failure. DO NOT put 80 PSI in it if the rimes are rated for load range D. Otherwise you could have rim failure.
rmhaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #20
jadatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
225 80R15 LRD tires at 65PSI are rated to carry 2540 pounds
225 80R15 LRE tires at 65PSI are also rated to carry 2540 pounds and at 80PSI are rated to carry 2830 pounds.

Why go to the expense of buying "increased load tires" and then run them at reduced pressure and lose that extra capacity. There's "nothing extra" and no "increased protection" when you run LRE tires at LRD pressures.

Sort of like going on a diet, then buying snack food to put in the refrigerator, knowing that you won't eat it and watching it go bad on the shelf while not using it.
Used the tirespecifications you gave and added 10% to the2020lbs topicstarter gave.
Then the 65psi tire would need 55psi , I calculated with the safer official European formula, ( I once got hold of, and went running with.
That they give 65 psi is general advice for trailers.
Most trailer tires are ST wich are calculated in maxload for 65mh. This gives no reserve anymore for things like unequall weight, pressure loss, etc.
Thats the reason for that standard advice of 65 psi for D-load. E- load would need 70 psi for the 2540lbs maxload of D-load.
But if you are shure of the 2020 lbs a tire as you weighed( and I added 10% to cover unequall weight R/L) , the E load would need 60 psi.

When I calculate advice for trailers, I add 10% and lower maxload, as if its a Q speedrated tire, wich is calculated in maxload for 99mh.
Then you have the highest pressure, with max reserve, with still acceptable comfort and gripp.
Comfort for a traveltrailer, is that your screws wont tremble loose from the woodconstruction.

Can do that for you, but need more information.
fi if you have ST and if weighing was fully loaded.
Number of tires and axles.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote