Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sourdough, sorry to disagree, but ST tire are built to a lower standard. Their newer increased speed ratings are due to use of magic speed rating dust.
I have stated it many times before Semis don’t have special ST tires for trailers, all tires have the same carcass, LT’s work well on 5er with a GVWR of about 12,500#.
Semi-trailers to RVs is comparing apples to elephants. Totally different compounds. Different applications, my 5er has 4' more from the axel to tail than a trailer. Rarely do they 'curb' a tire. As a former fleet manager I disagree.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
Artizu

Go buy 14 ply tires for your rig. I did and the trailer is much more stable and it will be much longer before the rubber breaks down to the point of failure.

The stock tires on an RV are cheap 6 ply tires and will only last 2-3 seasons.
Artizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
Jim Aitken

Great description. Thanks
Old 10-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #24
Third Degree

Ok, If over inflation causes problems, then what do I inflate my tires when I first start out? I am rated at 80 lbs and I have been inflating to 80 lbs when I start out. Now, I know as I travel down the highway the tires are going to heat up and the inflation is going to increase. Do I pull over every so often and release air pressure back to 80 lbs? Or, just start out at 80 lbs and everything will be fine?
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #25
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Degree View Post
Ok, If over inflation causes problems, then what do I inflate my tires when I first start out? I am rated at 80 lbs and I have been inflating to 80 lbs when I start out. Now, I know as I travel down the highway the tires are going to heat up and the inflation is going to increase. Do I pull over every so often and release air pressure back to 80 lbs? Or, just start out at 80 lbs and everything will be fine?
The inflation noted on the sidewall for max load on a given tire, accounts for the fact that the pressure will go up as the tire is rolling and heats up. Cold inflation means just that, the inflation before the tire hits the road. Chris
Old 10-08-2018, 02:18 AM   #26
Sunnysidebeach

What do you think of the new Goodyear Endurance tire.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #27
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysidebeach View Post
What do you think of the new Goodyear Endurance tire.
I put them on my small trailer. They are not available in a LRF for poster Gmdiii! What do you have for a trailer. I am a fan for all steel ply tires for larger trailers. XPS Rib, R250, S637 Sailun.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Degree View Post

Not sure which post you are responding too. "Overinflation" is not what you get from the normal pressure increase of running when you started out with the correct load and inflation for your RV. I have seen tires fail from running a 35 psi tire at 60 and a 60 psi tire at 150.

Only time you should be adjusting inflation is when the tires have not been run or in direct sunlight for previous 2 to 3 hours.

Trailer RV should run the pressure associated with the max load on the tire which in most cases is the inflation shown on your RV certification label.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #29
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artizu View Post
Go buy 14 ply tires for your rig. I did and the trailer is much more stable and it will be much longer before the rubber breaks down to the point of failure.

The stock tires on an RV are cheap 6 ply tires and will only last 2-3 seasons.

You do realize that "Ply" went out in the 60's with the switch to higher strength Nylon, Polyester and finally to Steel in "Commercial grade" tires. If you read the tire sidewall you can learn the actual number of layers aka ply in your tires.
Load Range G or LR-G is the modern and correct term even though some tire companies use the "ply" designation as some customers don't understand we are really talking about the ability to retain the inflation pressure and it's the inflation pressure that supports the load not the tire itself. At least for 95% of the load. Else why Load & Inflation charts?

I have never seen a Ply vs load chart.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
... Only time you should be adjusting inflation is when the tires have not been run or in direct sunlight for previous 2 to 3 hours. ...
You bring up a point I've been curious about. If it's really cool in the morning where you start out and ends up quite warm before the end of the travel, do you bleed or leave the pressures alone? I believe the difference in measured tire pressure between a 40 degree morning and a 70 degree morning is small (assuming no air has been added or removed between the two temperature extremes) but there will be a difference. What should one do? (I hope I'm clear in my question.)

Quote:
You do realize that "Ply" went out in the 60's ... ... some tire companies use the "ply" designation ...
As for "ply", I was told at a tire store that the difference between a LR-C and a LR-D is two more plies. I opted for the higher load rating and am happy I did so; I'm just curious if I was fed a line based on your prior statement. Thank you.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #31
Blucaddy71

Angry Zeemax Bombs

2 Zeemax tires bought in April, less than 3000 miles on both.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8273026.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	18850
Old 10-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #32
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucaddy71 View Post

Attachment 18850
Your post and picture show that china bombs ST still exist. There are only two or three ST brands worth buying right now. Goodyear, Provider and Maxxis, with the Goodyear Endurance the most universally available offering.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:

Attachment 18850
Seems strange that both tires have the bulges on the inside where you don't usually crawl under when doing your walk around inspection, guess maybe should start.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:

Attachment 18850

Very reminiscent of what the Uniroyal tires did on Keystone trailers in model years 2004-2006. A good indicator that overloading/under inflation on any tire in a trailer position will follow the same failure path.

The 3000 miles has nothing to do with the failure. Any mismanaged tire will fail at any time during its life span.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #35
Snoking

any time (skip) any time (skip) any time (skip) any time (skip)
Old 10-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
any time (skip) any time (skip) any time (skip) any time (skip)
Point being??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:33 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Your post and picture show that china bombs ST still exist. There are only two or three ST brands worth buying right now. Goodyear, Provider and Maxxis, with the Goodyear Endurance the most universally available offering.
I disagree with your list, skip, I disagree with your list, skip,I disagree with your list, skip
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #38
Tireman9

What is the DOT serial?

IMO a manufacturing issue. Have you filed complaintwith NHTSA?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #39
jadatis

Quote:
You do realize that "Ply" went out in the 60's with the switch to higher strength Nylon, Polyester and finally to Steel in "Commercial grade" tires. If you read the tire sidewall you can learn the actual number of layers aka ply in your tires.
Load Range G or LR-G is the modern and correct term even though some tire companies use the "ply" designation as some customers don't understand we are really talking about the ability to retain the inflation pressure and it's the inflation pressure that supports the load not the tire itself. At least for 95% of the load. Else why Load & Inflation charts?

I have never seen a Ply vs load chart.
Plyrating is commenly used in Europe, only when also for american market , loadranche is given.
Sometimes even both.
And ofcource it has nowadays little to do with the real mumber of plies anymore.
Here a incomplete list I made
Loadrange/ psi/ plyrating / psi
LrB/ 35 psi/ 4ply/ 36 psi exeptions to lower

LRC/ 50PSI/ 6PLY/ 55PSI has given many conversion problems in the past, so to low pressure because lrc goes from lower AT pressure.

LRD/65PSI/8PLY/ 65PSI ( 69PSI exeption but also 425 kPa= 61 psi )

LRE/ 80 PSI/ 10 PLY/ 80 PSI ( exeptions 77 and 87 psi)

So what counts is what is written behind AT in " maximum load xxxxlbs/kg AT yyy psi/ kPa ( cold)
So if you find that, forget the loadrange/plyrating, and find a pressure/ loadcapacity- list for that yyy psi and xxxx lbs/ kg.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires