Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
RandyT

Question Help Choosing Please

Greetings to all! New to the forum and I need some help. Like most, if not all of you, my wife and I have decided to take the plunge and buy and RV. We have done our due diligence in learning as much as we can about the good and bad of most everything and we’re still learning. One of the most important aspects to us is the floor plan as we plan to buy only 1 RV and use it until it or we wear out. We haven’t overlooked the other important issues like quality, features, manufacturer service, etc., but we are leaning very strongly to the Laredo 329RE or FRE. With this in mind I would ask a few minutes of your time to let us know your opinion about 1) overall quality of Keystone products in general and the Laredo in particular. 2) What you like about Keystone and Laredo. 3) What you don’t like and 4) what features/options they offer you wish you had or had not bought. My wife and I would be very grateful for any insight and information you provide and as always happy RVing and be SAFE!
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
GaryWT

Not sure what the difference is between the 2 they look the same. Also wish model numbers had something that states 5th over TT but anyway. Looks like a real nice layout. We have a Keystone Premier and love it and I think the Larado is similar so you should be good there.

That said, this would not meet our needs but that is the great thing about trailers, they make one for everyones needs. My wife is shorter so she does not like 5th wheels, wouls need a stool to reach everything. I need a full outside kitchen as that is my thing and I am not too keen on front bump outs that take up outdoor living space especially if you are in a thin site. Finally, wife likes when the kids join us and she does not want to set up the coach or table for sleeping ever so she likes a bedroom for anyone joining us and it doubles nicely as a changing room when it is just the 2 of us.

Good luck and I hope it works out just like you plan.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

Most RV's are similar in quality but that's not saying much. Even those considered to be luxury type RV's can and do frequently have issues. As for that floorplan it really is about what fits your needs. I prefer a corner shower instead of the rectangular ones. That is a large RV that will require a very substantial truck to move. With a GVWR of 13k expect pin weight to exceed 2600 lbs. That is 1 ton truck territory. Good luck on the choice.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
RandyT

I can see why the floor plan wouldn't work for you. However, I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs and my wife is 5'6" so the height isn't a problem but space is. You're right, great that they make one for everyone. Thanks for the feedback, I'll remember your comments.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
RandyT

@ fla-gsypsy - I've got a 2012 F350 4X4 15,700 max trailer wt., 11,500 max vehicle wt and 3680 max payload so I feel conformable towing a 5th wheel that size. It surely has the power. Thanks for the comments good stuff to remember.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT View Post
With this in mind I would ask a few minutes of your time to let us know your opinion about 1) overall quality of Keystone products in general and the Laredo in particular. 2) What you like about Keystone and Laredo. 3) What you don’t like and 4) what features/options they offer you wish you had or had not bought. My wife and I would be very grateful for any insight and information you provide and as always happy RVing and be SAFE!
Randy -
Overall, most Keystone buyers have indicated here by means of a poll - taken a while back - that they would buy another Keystone product. In fact, slightly over 90% of those who responded replied "yes" so that may tell you something.

I think I would be right in saying that Keystone products are good value for the money spent. Laredo appears to be a mid-level model in terms of features and options and other than that, there isn't a lot to choose in terms of quality. Some models have upgraded appliances, furnishings and a few more features but the basic build quality is pretty much the same across the spectrum of models. They all come from the same plant, are built by the same folks, use the same construction materials and techniques.

All RV manufacturers have issues with their units and just because you might pay more for a unit is no guarantee that it will be trouble-free. Keystone is no different. If you carry out a thorough pre inspection and pay close attention to regular and frequent maintenance, you should be fine. Having said that, some problems will no doubt arise - some will be minor which, if you are at all handy, can be fixed yourself. Others may require the skills of an RV technician or someone with expertise in a particular area.

I am not going to comment on floor plans or features. What I like or wish I had really doesn't matter. It's what you like and need. Notice I said "need" and not "want". There is a difference! You are on your own here.

I hope you find a dealer that believes and practices "customer service" before, during and especially after the sale. When or if things go wrong, work with them and with Keystone in a calm, reasoned, and polite but firm manner. Pounding on the desk, making demands, whining, nit-picking, etc., are not good negotiating tactics and will accomplish little if anything at all.

In summary, we're happy with our Cougar. I hope you will be with your Laredo - should you buy it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Bugle Boy

We really like our Cougar 31RKS. No major problems and have had it several months and over 3000 miles.

Jan really likes the kitchen layout.

It is rather typical RV quality and I have seen no signs of poor workmanship. Some design things that I would change but overall a very nice and good rig.

The tank/pump control panel is located at the rear and if we use the bathroom on the road we have to climb over the dining table and booth to turn the pump on.

Beware of the electronic control panel if your rig has one. Owners are having many problems with that panel.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
airforceret

Keystone does have issues with their Touch Panel. I'm working on getting mine replaced under warranty as I write! I'm more into functional, so I'd be content to drill out the panel and install switches! LOL I'm confident it will all get resolved under warranty.

I like the polar package concept, except how it affects the drain valves being cable operated and in the storage compartment. I will likely modify this myself and relocate them once out of warranty.

I like the added room of the slides and the layout when my 280RLS is open, but it makes getting to the bathroom impossible without putting out the kitchen slide some to make a walkway. Since we spend the majority of time parked vs traveling these days, this will be fine. And it really isn't that big a deal to pop the slide out a little. I'd rather be inconvenienced on the road and have something we love when we get to our destination.

The 280RLS is a bit heavier than some we looked at, but it's lighter than others at 9k empty. The center kitchen island is what really sealed the deal for my wife and I, and it was an awesome feature on our first trip!

We've owned 3 different brands and they all had issues, they all had things repaired under warranty, they all had things I repaired myself that probably should have been warranty (but I felt I could do a better job), and honestly some just weren't a big enough issue to warrant a trip to the dealer.

Of the 3 I did have long standing issues with one manufacturer that did probably cost them a repeat sale, but the circumstances are unique to a severe manufacturing problem I brought to their attention, they repaired it under warranty, but in doing the warranty work caused some irreparable damage that I have since been stuck with. I love this camper as well. It's quite beautiful and now that I've fixed most of the remaining issues (and have accepted the irreparable will be just that), I'm likely going to keep for my kids one day!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote