Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
canesfan

Electric Awning Tension Knobs

My electric awnings have starwheel like knobs on them where you're supposed to be able to pull one end of the awning down, tighten the knob, and have the awning stay that way (tilted - like you do/did with manual awnings to let rain run off). Since the awning dumps itself I never had the need to try them until recently. I was situated where the rear awning was draining off the front edge and the angel of the site I was in was just perfect that the water coming off the awning made a river right to the bottom of my front steps. I decided to try to use the manual awning trick and tilt the awning a little so the water would drain off the rear. No such luck. The knobs, no matter how much you can tighten them, do nothing. Next time I was at the dealer I asked about them, and they said they are pretty worthless and no, they don't work like they are supposed to. Anyone have any luck with these or any fixes?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
GaryWT

Mine work great. I will use both when cleaning it or putting lights on. Will use one or the other if I want to direct the water in the rain.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Plus 1 for Gary, mine work great. I never trust the "auto dump" when I know weather is coming. Call me a power nut, but I want to decide which end lets the water out.

Try a little WD or White lithium grease to free up the screw mechanisms on your sliders. They might need just a little convincing if they have never been used, but don't be overly aggressive. Back them out as far as they will go... lube... and then try to tighten. The idea is to get lube into the female threads.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
AlbertaRvMan

X 3, my knobs work great, be careful not to over loosen them, I did that once and had washers / parts roll all over the place.

Sometimes I will angle the awning down on both sides to block out the sun.

When it rains I will lower one side for run off, I often wonder how much I should lower it so the awning is not stretched awkwardly. Anyone know?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
therink

Mine work great too. I have found that when they are hand tight, another nudge tight by hand or with channel locks keeps them in place. I also tie down each awning end to the ground which helps keep it taught so bars and hinges are tight and doesn't flap. I love the awning and has worked well for 3 years now.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Just did a walkthrough yesterday and the rear arm did just as you describe. I sprayed some Tel-Solv on the inner arm, moved it in/out a couple of times and good to go. Try using some brake spray to clean the two surfaces and see it that helps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
canesfan

Thanks for the replies!!! I'll get out my step ladder and mess with them. I think maybe part of my problem might have been I only had a step stool and I could barely reach them, and trying to pull down on the awning with one hand and tighten the knob with the other at the same time was about all I could do. The knobs were loose to begin with so I don't know that's the problem but I will spray some lube on them anyway.

@ checkster57 - you say to use brake spray to clean the two surfaces. Which two surfaces? Not sure I follow without standing there looking at it.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

The slotted arm that moves in/out to adjust the pitch and the plate that the screw pulls down against the arm.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The slotted arm that moves in/out to adjust the pitch and the plate that the screw pulls down against the arm.
OK, thanks. I'll look at it later today and see what's what.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Got it, looked at everything yesterday, lubed the little plate and screw that goes through it, and figured out I was doing it wrong. I was pulling DOWN on the arm instead of pulling IN, so I was fighting against the shock absorber tension if you can picture what I'm describing. Awnings work as they should, operator error. Next time I'll drink another beer first. Thanks for the tips all!!