Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
MStefan

Please, I need your opinion

Tomorrow I’ll pick up my new TT from the dealer.
This is my first TT experience and I am a little ( a lot ��) bit stressed about my set-up. Is it good or ......it will possible be a “ white knuckle “ experience?

My truck: 2017 Ram 1500 V6 pentastar, quad cab 6.4’ bed, 4x4, 3:55 lsd diff, payload 1650 lbs, max towing capacity: 7450 lbs.

My TT: 2019 Keystone hideout 175 lhs
Dry weight 3381 lbs
TW 485 lbs
Floor length: 17’
Overall length: 21.5’
Height: 10.5’
Large : 8’
GVWR: 4400lbs
Do I need to worry of these numbers ?
Thank you indeed for your opinions

Marius
MStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 AM   #2
WNY Bullet

Congratulations on the new trailer!
Looks like you have more than enough truck for that trailer, have fun!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #3
busterbrown

The numbers look ok. Make sure your weight distribution hitch is dialed in for the load you're carrying.

There is something to be said about that Pentastar engine. Unfortanrly, its not the ideal powerplant for your RAM. I have it in my Chrysler Town & Country and it hauls the family okay with a 6 speed. Most likely you have the 8 speed.

I've towed our 12 foot enclosed cargo trailer with it multiple times and it never keeps a gear. You will work the RPMs at any given speed. TFLtruck just did a review with that engine in a Dodge Durango pulling a 4000 lb flatbed trailer. The reviewer said it worked to get up to speed and shifted quite a bit. It just doesn't produce enough torque for a high profile trailer. I feel the same when pulling my small cargo trailer.

Even though it's a mediocre engine, it will move the load none the less. Just dont expect to win any races.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
MStefan

First, thank you for your responses.Really appreciated.I don’t want to be a danger for my family and for the other trafic participants.
As for the Pentastar, yes, I am aware of its limitations and and I am “gentle” with the go pedal..lol. Yes, it has the 8 speed.
My dealer told me he’ll instal an equalizer WDH on the trailer ( I don’t know its capacity will see today).
I was primarily stressed about the overall weight of the trailer vs sway vs how it will act in a windy situation, etc.
I run synthetic oil in my engine and I was thinking of putting some supreme 91 gas to help it with the load.
Marius
Old 05-06-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
Logan X

I agree with the others, your numbers look good. The equalizer hitch with 4 point sway control is a good hitch, it is what I use.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStefan View Post
First, thank you for your responses.Really appreciated.I don’t want to be a danger for my family and for the other trafic participants.
As for the Pentastar, yes, I am aware of its limitations and and I am “gentle” with the go pedal..lol. Yes, it has the 8 speed.
My dealer told me he’ll instal an equalizer WDH on the trailer ( I don’t know its capacity will see today).
I was primarily stressed about the overall weight of the trailer vs sway vs how it will act in a windy situation, etc.
I run synthetic oil in my engine and I was thinking of putting some supreme 91 gas to help it with the load.
Marius
Don't waste your money on higher octane fuel, burn whatever it is made to run on. Higher octane fuel has a higher resistance to combustion, which normally requires a higher compression and/or different ignition timing. The only thing guaranteed if you use higher octane than what it was designed to run on, is wasting money....and most likely some spark/ignition knocking in the engine.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
Pull Toy

^^^ + 1 for XRated.

The only vehicles that should use "HiTest" (my age is showing... LOL) are vehicles that require it. You will not see any improvement in performance, and may actually see a decrease in MPG.

Enjoy your new camper. As far as the stress goes... With time and experience, comes confidence.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I agree with the others, your numbers look good. The equalizer hitch with 4 point sway control is a good hitch, it is what I use.
Want to clarify this.

Equaliser hitch is a generic term for any WDH.

Equal-i-zer is a brand name for the 4 point hitch.

If he is selling you an Equal-i-zer 4 pt, it really is a good hitch. Takes a bit more set up, but a really good hitch. I love mine.

If the one he sells you has chains on it, it's not a 4 pt as is just a generic equaliser hitch. It may be enough for you, but is not as good (and also a lot cheaper).

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Marius

I agree with the posts about sticking with regular grade fuel....to a point.

Find what Chrysler recommends for that engine - if it's 87 you can fell comfortable using that as a "go to" grade of fuel.....but, some things I'll mention;

Where I live the "standard" grade fuel is 86, not 87. My 6.4, recommended 87, runs like cr*p on 86. It really likes the "mid grade" of 88. When towing, although 87 is recommended I use mid grade everywhere we go because the truck does tow (runs) much better on 89 than 87 - it's noticeable. Whether your engine would ever know I don't have any idea but you could just try. I would however keep my eye out at the pump to make sure the "regular" grade was 87, not something lower. Now if you try to determine if you save money by increase mileage or something like that by using a mid grade....I have no idea because I don't watch it. It just runs better so that's all I care about.

Edit: I too agree that you should have enough truck for the trailer. Make sure you have a good wdh/sway control hitch. I use the Equalizer brand as well and I'm very happy with it. Your "white knuckle" experiences can be greatly increased or reduced depending on the choice of wdh/sway control.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
MStefan

Well, thanks again for your opinions and kind words.
For me, it was a BAD day.
Arrived in time to the dealer to take possession and before signing the papers I asked them to visit the trailer first.
First observations: the TT mfg date was 01.14.2019 and the stamp on the tires showed 4417...so a bit old....
Second and worse thing I found that half of the front wall had water infiltration( I had my humidity meter. With me). They didn’t argue with me and they tried again with their own Hmeter to see if the unit is bad. And it was.
OK.....now, they had another 2. Identical models in the back yard and guess what.....both of them showed water infiltration in different areas. On one of them the interior wall finish was already shrinked.
Needless to say that I backed off the deal, took my deposit back and they didn’t say a word.
I am a little bit sad right now but on the other hand happy by not buying a bunch of problems.

Now,my research continues .....hopefully I’ll find something good elsewhere.

Sorry for my venting rant

Thank you all indeed,

Marius
Old 05-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
busterbrown

Sorry to hear you had to back out on the coach. If my gut says no, I usually listen to it. Glad to see your deposit was returned without a hassle.

Just wondering if there are design flaws with that model, due to the water intrusion, considering both had evidence of it.

Well, I guess your search continues. Explore different brands too. Just try and stay within the specs of your TV. Feel free to stay on these boards and let us know if and when you find your future coach. We don't shame anyone who decides to roll with the competition. Many ex-owners are contributing members. In fact, you'll probably get better advice and more responsible answers on the Keystone forums than on others.

Good luck in your search.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I don't view it as a rant. You did what you needed to do to verify that the "new" trailer, that had been sitting on the lot with zero maintenance/oversight by the dealer was in fact....new and in good shape. What you found is what so many overlook - prior damage even though it's a new trailer; tires that are half way aged out when you buy it (all attributable to the "I love it", "gotta have it" syndrome with logic put in idle - and a failure to "check all the boxes"). GOOD on you!! I suspect you dodged some real bullets and future heartbreak. Now, wishing you luck on finding "the one" that really is "new" and in "new" condition. BTW....I think I would put that dealer on my back burner for future RVs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #13
Gegrad

Wow, what a story! That's great you were able to catch the water leaks before purchase and reject it. We see posts here nearly every day from people who have nasty leaks on nearly new, recently purchased units asking how to submit a claim. Good luck on your future search.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Rant? No
Due diligence? Yes!!

Your new trailer is out there, just gotta look a little more.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #15
MStefan

Thank you all indeed for wishing me luck. Yes, I need it...lol
I have no intention to leave this so friendly site even if I change the brand. You people are amazing in helping a fellow camper trying to make his way in this beautiful hobby.
Now, I prepare my searches outside my town, see what they got ....

Marius
Old 05-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

We welcome everybody here. Even those that drive motorhome....well maybe a motorhome is pushing it LOL. Best of luck and feel free to ask about ANY unit that piques your interest.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #17
hankaye

MStefan, Howdy;

Welcome to the wonderful (?), world of RVing and Keystone....

Quote:
Thank you all indeed for wishing me luck. Yes, I need it...lol
I have no intention to leave this so friendly site even if I change the brand. You people are amazing in helping a fellow camper trying to make his way in this beautiful hobby.
Now, I prepare my searches outside my town, see what they got ....

Marius
One thing to remember is that even if the techs at the dealership may have set-up your hitch (I'm a former E-qulizer user very happy one too), you will need to re-set it after you have added all the "Camping Gear" into it. So, make sure you have the manual or you can get the instructions online.
Have fun, keep us in mind if you need more suggestions for unexpected suprises.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote