Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #81
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The other thing is if it can’t be disabled, is it fair to limit the passenger? Big discussions out here on the left coast about that.
This would be my concern. For the longest I refused to get a smartphone because a cell was for talking....period. I eventually had to replace my flip phone and found that they were relics so went to a smartphone. My wife did not want one either but I knew her inquisitive mind would enjoy one so got her one. Now, she loves it and has a network of friends (family and RV friends) that she texts and visits with daily. I don't listen to the radio or talk much when driving...I drive. DW used to just watch the scenery and sleep. Now she can stay busy visiting with friends and family, play games etc. while I drive. I wouldn't want that taken from her if there was a way not to.

To stop the proliferation of distracted drivers due to smartphones I think we have to make stiff penalties for their use if driving. Extremely stiff fine 1st offence (no less than $1k), progress from there including suspension of license and confiscation of vehicle in short order. It won't take long for folks to determine they don't want to distract themselves with the device and realize their world isn't going to end (nor anyone else's) if they are actually absent from their "toy" for the duration of the drive. A side benefit would be the greatly enhanced safety for those pulling RVs (and everyone else) that may want to drive a bit too fast.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #82
Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
To stop the proliferation of distracted drivers due to smartphones I think we have to make stiff penalties for their use if driving. Extremely stiff fine 1st offence (no less than $1k), progress from there including suspension of license and confiscation of vehicle in short order. It won't take long for folks to determine they don't want to distract themselves with the device and realize their world isn't going to end (nor anyone else's) if they are actually absent from their "toy" for the duration of the drive. A side benefit would be the greatly enhanced safety for those pulling RVs (and everyone else) that may want to drive a bit too fast.
I'm all for stricter enforcement and big penalties but there aren't enough police on streets and highways to put a dent in handheld cell phone usage while driving. I see it all the time, along with single drivers in the carpool lanes and red light runners. Carpool lane fines in California ($490) are clearly displayed along with the signs at stoplight intersections ($525 posted fine). Of these three violations the cameras at intersections catch the most offenders. Even if there was technology to install something inside the steering wheel that would prevent cell phone operation within 2-3 feet someone would find a way to defeat it.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #83
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
I'm all for stricter enforcement and big penalties but there aren't enough police on streets and highways to put a dent in handheld cell phone usage while driving. I see it all the time, along with single drivers in the carpool lanes and red light runners. Carpool lane fines in California ($490) are clearly displayed along with the signs at stoplight intersections ($525 posted fine). Of these three violations the cameras at intersections catch the most offenders. Even if there was technology to install something inside the steering wheel that would prevent cell phone operation within 2-3 feet someone would find a way to defeat it.

I agree. It's more wishful thinking I guess. There might be a few caught but as you said, those that are willing to do stupid things will find a way.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #84
notanlines

Danny, "To stop the proliferation of distracted drivers due to smartphones I think we have to make stiff penalties for their use if driving. Extremely stiff fine 1st offense (no less than $1k), progress from there including suspension of license and confiscation of vehicle in short order." we could start at the movie theatre and progress from there if successful.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #85
wiredgeorge

Dang $1000? I sure hope they don't put a fine on being ugly as I would have to throw myself on the mercy of the court bwhahaha I ride a bike and the distracted driver is a fact of life. They just don't see a guy a bike as a cager's brain is always... well stuck up his/her butt a lot of the time. If you are in an RV maybe learn to develop a spidey-sense and anticipate folks who are just not paying attention while driving as fines won't stop them all no matter how stiff.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 09-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #86
Tufelhunden

I travel between 60 and 70 on the freeway. Seems fast enough and I get to watch lots of nice vehicles pass me.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #87
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Dang $1000? I sure hope they don't put a fine on being ugly as I would have to throw myself on the mercy of the court bwhahaha I ride a bike and the distracted driver is a fact of life. They just don't see a guy a bike as a cager's brain is always... well stuck up his/her butt a lot of the time. If you are in an RV maybe learn to develop a spidey-sense and anticipate folks who are just not paying attention while driving as fines won't stop them all no matter how stiff.

With the proliferation smart devices, and the continuing degradation of common sense, I think we (states) have to implement some sort of penalty for these kinds of distractions instead of "damn, it's a shame we lost that family because dimwit was texting". Doesn't work for me.

I hate government intrusion into my life as much as anyone and probably more than most, but, if we can't take matters into our own hands to rectify the situation, the legal system has to. Currently most states have very lax laws regarding distracted driving IMO - some don't even disallow texting and driving.

As far as "spidey sense", mine is fully honed. Having ridden bikes myself for many years as well as driving 100k plus miles every year at a very fast pace for several decades, I've learned to "anticipate" and "sense" what is going to happen. Still won't stop the idiot buried in the phone that runs the stop light and plows into the side of my (your) car.

Sorry for getting off the subject; at least this does have a bearing on "how fast you tow" in some respects. Back to the regular program...
Old 09-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #88
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

$1000 the first time then take the license the second time, it will stop some but not all.
How many people do you know that have more than 1 DUI?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #89
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
$1000 the first time then take the license the second time, it will stop some but not all.
How many people do you know that have more than 1 DUI?

I don't know anyone in my life that has more than 1 DUI. I do however know people WITH a DUI; unfortunately my son and brother. Long ago and at a time when they were being stupid after returning from Desert Shield/Storm. Not an exuse...but sad (they grew up together and were one year apart in age).

I don't think you can stop "all" violators of anything. If you made a significant reduction it would be better than the unfettered dimwits driving that we have today.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:32 AM   #90
notanlines

Earlier in this thread we had a statement "...I catch myself cruising just over 80 mph now and again." Couple these actions with texting while driving and DWI's and we find that we are facing a rough world on our highways. I favor the large fines, but I lean towards confiscation of vehicles even more. People with a suspended driver's license seem to still get behind the wheel, but if the vehicle has been confiscated for a period of a year it changes the landscape.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 09-30-2018, 03:16 AM   #91
Mikendebbie

Towing speed

I tow 60 to 65 generally closer to 60.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 AM   #92
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I think were heading a little off topic here. Unfortunately some people are stupid when it comes to respecting the rules of the road. Speeding is no where as dangerous as texting or being impaired while driving. Save that for the campsite!
Old 09-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #93
flybouy
Site Team

Hitched or bob-tailed I have an overspeed warning that sounds. It also warns me if I get too close (to anything), run a red light, make a wrong turn, etc. I've had it for 40+ years now. It also tells me when to stop and eat, use the bathroom and let the dogs get relief. It resides in the passenger seat and her name is Diane.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #94
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

That's a good one flyboy
Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #95
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As for the guy that runs up behind me flashing lights, if I'm doing the speed limit he can suck my exhaust all day long before I'll move over.
When merging onto the interstate, somewhere/somehow a lot of folks have the idea that the interstate is to yield to them merging which unless someone changed the law, or the signs, the yield sign is on the entry ramp not the interstate.
People also don't know what a solid white line indicates either, their jumping in & out of the HOV lane like it's their own personal passing lane.

First, I tow 70 +/- 2 if the speed limit is 70. Have Sailuns and that is fast enough.

If I am in the left lane and passing, I will boost it to get by as safely and quickly as possible. I hate the people that as soon as you get by, they jump around you on the right. If I'm not towing, I will start to move over anyway.

The yielding or lack thereof while entering an interstate is most prevalent in Michigan. I go there a lot on business, and that was one of the first things I noticed. If you don't yield to those entering, they will almost run into you and flip you off, even if you can't move over or slow down due to traffic.

Finally the solid white line that people don't seem to know that you don't cross, particularly on entrance ramps. To the people behind me that jump the white line to merge early, I'm coming over as soon as the white line disappears!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #96
bbells

Hey guys, wave as you pass me by will you? I never go over 60-65. Not just because of gas mileage, or my age, or safety, or my ability to stop, or all the animals I've seen hit on the road, or people t-boned, or people not looking and doing rolling stops (one ran me over while walking on the sidewalk and broke my neck), or unexpected side gusts when I hit open areas, but because I want to just enjoy the ride. Getting there is half the fun. I don't have enough hair left to be able to pull it out due to stress. Besides, when I go slower my speed doesn't end up inching up every time I pass someone who speeds up as soon as I pass them. My 400hp Toyota Tundra barely notices my 26 foot trailer on the back. I am not judging you at all, I don't care how fast anyone else drives. Just give me a friendly wave when you pass is all I ask. I will be the one smiling, not gripping the wheel with white fingers.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #97
lindy46

60-62 max for me.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #98
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Of course it's all dependent on road and weather conditions. Sweet spot on open roads is 63 m.p.h. for our setup. Secondary roads are more dependent on visibility as opposed to handling. We travel rural roads in PA often (Amish country) and popping over a hill and discovering a horse & buggy lopping along in the road can ruin everyone's day.
When I still drove commercially, one of my city runs for about a year was Birdsboro out 422 to the Myerstown area. Nothing like rolling down 501 pulling a 48' trailer full of random stuff and coming up on "buggy to the general store" day. I learned to ignore speed limits and determine my own safe velocity.

I'm amazed at the stories I see here regarding towing speeds and general ignorance of the physics involved with driving a combination vehicle. Generally, when I going going down the road with my own TT, I stay away from other "campers." Not to be a snob, but they tend to be a notch below straight truck drivers. A few episodes of too fast and too close to gracefully stop will learn most of us a thing or two. Try it with two trailers in the snow a few times, LOL. Take an extra pair of shorts along.
Former doubles/triples/hazmat/CDL instructor. My next rig will of course be a 5-er and a diesel TV, I miss the power and stability...
Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #99
Irv gates

Whats the hurry. The time difference in getting some where is not much between 65 and 70. I will keep my speed down to 65 on 4 lane rds and the speed limit on the two lane rds. The more speed ,the better chance you wont recover in a accident. Remember your reflex time is going to be slower at faster speeds than what you think. Have a safe trip. 2009 F350DRW , 2014 Montana Hc 39ft
Old 09-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #100
Cracker

I’m in accord with the recommendation for 65 mph on Interstates (with a posted 70 mph limit) and following the speed limit on secondary roads - but with a few minor caveats. I often find that posted speed limits on secondary roads can’t be trusted - especially with respect to trailer towing. Accordingly, you have to use caution and experience as your guidelines. Too, when driving on severely curving mountain roads, or even on the flat, I tend to pay attention to the “recommended safe speed” posted on the signs warning of a curve ahead. Further, my following distances far exceed what others might consider prudent. I normally cruise at about 150’ - 200’ behind the vehicle in front when on the Interstate, and even further back when conditions warrant it. Conservative? Absolutely - but I can boast of 62 years of accident-free driving, much of it while towing, and I hope to continue that record until I hang up my keys!

Tags
tow