Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #41
jsmith948
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central San Joaguin Valley, CA
Posts: 1,846
OMG! - I can't use the toilet or stove in my RV - if I DO choose to use the toilet, I am to make sure that the used TP is stored in a container to be burned later in the campfire (should add a unique flavor to the Smoores) and NOW I learn I can't use my Chinese generator without driving an 8ft copper rod into the earth. BTW, with my luck, I would probably hit the water line that supplies the entire campground. That means that not only do I need to drive a grounding rod into the earth, I need to first call out the guy with the can of orange spray paint to mark the location of any underground pipes or wires. Geesh! - way to complicated - going back to a tent
__________________

__________________

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,904
Well, by asking Champion Power Equipment (the experts in Champion generators) the question, this is their response:

"What is a grounding rod attachment?

Updated 6 days ago by Scott Henning

The short answer is you do not need to do any additional grounding as the machine is grounded to its own frame. Only if it is being installed as a permanent fixture attached to your home. If this applies, read on...

The recommendation for a grounding rod is best used for a permanent location, such as outside of your house for emergency use. A copper rod driven into the ground and a copper wire attached from the rod to the generator frame will give you solid protection against electrical shock. A GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is also another attachment that is effective against electrical shock. It is recommended to speak with a licensed electrician if you are considering this type of permanent installation. If you are running your generator in shallow water areas, it is a must to attach the generator to a grounding rod."


http://help.championpowerequipment.c...rod-attachment

So, at least for me (I have Champion generators), I'm not going to risk driving a copper stake through the campground water supply and just keep on "keeping on" like I have for the past 15 years. For me, doesn't seem like this ought to be "rocket science" and there's no need to overthink the solution.
__________________

__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #43
xrated
Senior Member
 
xrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: "Murvil, TN
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
OMG! - I can't use the toilet or stove in my RV - if I DO choose to use the toilet, I am to make sure that the used TP is stored in a container to be burned later in the campfire (should add a unique flavor to the Smoores) and NOW I learn I can't use my Chinese generator without driving an 8ft copper rod into the earth. BTW, with my luck, I would probably hit the water line that supplies the entire campground. That means that not only do I need to drive a grounding rod into the earth, I need to first call out the guy with the can of orange spray paint to mark the location of any underground pipes or wires. Geesh! - way to complicated - going back to a tent
Yea, if you noticed, I haven't responded to madmaxxmutt again. He and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on that topic. I realize he is wrong, but I'm done discussing it with him. He can drive all the ground rods he wants.....me.....not so much.
__________________
2016 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4x4
2017 Keystone Impact 303 T.H.
2014 Yamaha FZ09 (highly modded)
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:49 PM   #44
madmaxmutt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Yea, if you noticed, I haven't responded to madmaxxmutt again. He and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on that topic. I realize he is wrong, but I'm done discussing it with him. He can drive all the ground rods he wants.....me.....not so much.
LOL!

I am not sure I am correct in this case. I presented source documents that state the case I believe to be true. You presented your opinion until you didn't and really never presented any evidence to back your opinion except to state except direction to a picture that may or may not be the type of connection described.

I never said I was going to drive a ground rod camping, and certainly never said or implied anyone should do that in any developed campground.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #45
madmaxmutt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, by asking Champion Power Equipment (the experts in Champion generators) the question, this is their response:

"What is a grounding rod attachment?

Updated 6 days ago by Scott Henning

The short answer is you do not need to do any additional grounding as the machine is grounded to its own frame. Only if it is being installed as a permanent fixture attached to your home. If this applies, read on...

The recommendation for a grounding rod is best used for a permanent location, such as outside of your house for emergency use. A copper rod driven into the ground and a copper wire attached from the rod to the generator frame will give you solid protection against electrical shock. A GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is also another attachment that is effective against electrical shock. It is recommended to speak with a licensed electrician if you are considering this type of permanent installation. If you are running your generator in shallow water areas, it is a must to attach the generator to a grounding rod."


http://help.championpowerequipment.c...rod-attachment

So, at least for me (I have Champion generators), I'm not going to risk driving a copper stake through the campground water supply and just keep on "keeping on" like I have for the past 15 years. For me, doesn't seem like this ought to be "rocket science" and there's no need to overthink the solution.
I read that post. I would like them to talk specifically about an RV attached via a 30/50 amp cord boondocking. I would love a manufacturer to put this to rest.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I read that post. I would like them to talk specifically about an RV attached via a 30/50 amp cord boondocking. I would love a manufacturer to put this to rest.
For me, it's not important enough to continue searching for answers. If you have the time and the interest, give Brian Downs a call at Tel (877) 338.0999 ext 401. That's the Champion Customer Service Department that handles generators.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #47
madmaxmutt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
For me, it's not important enough to continue searching for answers. If you have the time and the interest, give Brian Downs a call at Tel (877) 338.0999 ext 401. That's the Champion Customer Service Department that handles generators.
FWIW, I asked OSHA for an answer of what "cord and plug connected" meant in relation to an RV office on a jobsite. That is the closest scenario I thought they might care about . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
FWIW, I asked OSHA for an answer of what "cord and plug connected" meant in relation to an RV office on a jobsite. That is the closest scenario I thought they might care about . . .
As I said previously, if you're interested, give Champion Power Equipment a call and ask them. OSHA is not a manufacturer of anything except paper requirements, many that don't apply to anything except a specific situation. Many people "read into that specific situation" more than is intended by OSHA. When people do that, they often associate the specifics with generalities and the water becomes very muddy.

I'm OK pulling the rope on my generator until it starts, connecting my RV and turning on the microwave. I don't carry an 8" copper rod and honestly don't know of anyone who does.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #49
madmaxmutt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As I said previously, if you're interested, give Champion Power Equipment a call and ask them. OSHA is not a manufacturer of anything except paper requirements, many that don't apply to anything except a specific situation. Many people "read into that specific situation" more than is intended by OSHA. When people do that, they often associate the specifics with generalities and the water becomes very muddy.

I'm OK pulling the rope on my generator until it starts, connecting my RV and turning on the microwave. I don't carry an 8" copper rod and honestly don't know of anyone who does.
Nothing specific to Champion or any manufacturer. In almost any case, a manufacturer will simply say, see an electrician. They don't want to be lawsuit fodder. At least, OSHA makes recommendations.

There is a specific reason I care, though. Failure to ground equipment properly can burn or kill people and does causes structure fires. KBR and other contract electricians did a number on many trailers and soldiers in Iraq. Most all of those sites were generator powered. I would like to know that an RV attached to any standalone generator does not pose the same risk.

And as I said many posts ago, there are lots of other grounding means besides an 8 foot rod. No normal campers are going to do them.
__________________

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.