Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
piccolo

getting satellite to bedroom tv

I have a 2015 outback 326rl that we love!! I have a dish mounted on tripod that we carry with us. My problem is I only get satellite reception on big screen in living room, only receive rig antenna in bedroom. How can I get satellite picture in bedroom? I can watch air tv but would rather have satellite in bedroom also.... any ideas??
piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your bedroom only has one coax out, then your out of luck, Only option in that case is to run another dedicated coax.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
I have a 2015 outback 326rl that we love!! I have a dish mounted on tripod that we carry with us. My problem is I only get satellite reception on big screen in living room, only receive rig antenna in bedroom. How can I get satellite picture in bedroom? I can watch air tv but would rather have satellite in bedroom also.... any ideas??
I was in the same situation as you. Here's what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran...r+and+receiver

I bought mine directly from the manufacturer for $30 less than the price in the link above.

It just arrived yesterday, and I did a preliminary check on the entire setup. So far, the setup is working fine! I added an hdmi splitter to the mix (one hdmi cable from the DirecTV box to the splitter input, one hdmi cable from the splitter #1 out, and another hdmi cable from the splitter #2 out to the wireless hdmi receiver).

The distance between the living room tv and bedroom tv is pretty short, so the reception is great on the bedroom tv. There's a 30 day return period on this wireless setup, so I'll test the heck out of the setup during that time period to make sure that I get a reliable and strong transmission signal.

By the way, with this setup, I only need one DirecTV box, which also means that I can't be watching different shows on both tv's. I'm okay with that. Also, I have my DirecTV box and remote controls set to RF (radio frequency), so that I can control the DirecTV box in the living room from the bedroom.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:06 AM   #4
{tpc}

For us, the "kitchen tv" and the "bedroom tv" are mounted on the opposite sides of the same wall. I installed a hdmi splitter and fed the output from our dish box to the input of that, and then one output to one tv, one to the other.

This way the flip of a switch and its on the other tv. I left the antenna connected to the kitchen tv, so we can use that in there and the sat in the bedroom. IIRC the splitter I have wont put the hdmi signal on both outputs at the same time.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 AM   #5
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
For us, the "kitchen tv" and the "bedroom tv" are mounted on the opposite sides of the same wall. I installed a hdmi splitter and fed the output from our dish box to the input of that, and then one output to one tv, one to the other.

This way the flip of a switch and its on the other tv. I left the antenna connected to the kitchen tv, so we can use that in there and the sat in the bedroom. IIRC the splitter I have wont put the hdmi signal on both outputs at the same time.
Just curious. Does your HDMI splitter have its own power supply or just a cable without power? My HDMI splitter has 4 outputs and it is possible to watch the same program on all TV's at the same time (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I had thought about just routing a long HDMI cable from an HDMI splitter attached to the the living room TV to the bedroom TV, but didn't want to get into running it through the enclosed underbelly.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Just curious. Does your HDMI splitter have its own power supply or just a cable without power? My HDMI splitter has 4 outputs and it is possible to watch the same program on all TV's at the same time (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I had thought about just routing a long HDMI cable from an HDMI splitter attached to the the living room TV to the bedroom TV, but didn't want to get into running it through the enclosed underbelly.
I am fairly certain it has its own small wall wort of some sort. Everything is still in storage so I can't confirm but in my minds eye I believe I had to add in a small adapter on the wall plug to allow for 3 things to be plugged in there. (TV, Splitter, Dish Box)

Depending on location, you might be able to hide it using wall moulding. Not the most elegant, but I would do that before going underneath. I would test it out first as the signal might diminish over such a long run (for the hdmi cable).

Edit: FWIW, I went with the one I did in order to save space as the splitter is only 2x2. Of course I had all kinds of ideas where I would permanently mount the DISH box that never came to fruition either.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Indy Steve

If you're wanting a separate receiver in the bedroom, there is a flat coax cable you can get that allows you to run through a window and still close it completely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
Harleydodge

I also use a wireless transmitter to get my Satellite Feed to my Bedroom TV as well as my outdoor TV. I did not care so much about having High Def so I cheaped out and went with These: https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...pSrc=srch&th=1

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
ChuckS

You’d most likely be happiest with wireless HDMI splitter.. too long of a run for cable unless you spend big bucks for quality cable.. even then might not work as well.. been using wireless HDMI in our fifth wheel with DTV dish for four seasons... distance from wireless to wireless in bedroom tv about 32 feet.. no signal issues, quick and simple setup...

Also if you have blue ray player in LR you could split HDMI signal from that into same wirelsss HDMI and have CD watch capability in BR...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
DMK

Here is what we use and it has worked flawlessly. https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...ss%2Bhdmi&th=1

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, satellite