Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #21
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
As stated previously the Goodyear Endurance has only been out a few months, not years. And if you listen to the Goodyear dealers spiel bear in mind they also touted the old Goodyear "maypops." Just because it says Goodyear doesn't make it good. I'd let the Endurance brand make a few years first.
OPs wheels most likely cannot hold the 110 PSI the Sailun S637 (the best) or GY G614 (2nd best). For that reason Carlisle and Maxxis come to mind. I ran Carlisle for years. When I had a Cougar 5er I ran Carlisle but NOT LR E ~~ they were LR F. Ran them at 90 psi with metal ~~ no rubber~ valve stems!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #22
innermusic

I'm going to go with the Maxxis 8008s. Thanks for all the input.
innermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 AM   #23
YstoneWY

X4 65mph On OEMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
X3 on the Maxxis 8008 Load Range E tires. They have an excellent reputation. On most RV forums the Tow Max tires are known as "Blow Max." One other thing to remember is that "standard" ST tires have a max speed rating of 65 mph. Some newer versions have a higher speed rating but you have to check for a specific indication.
Just towed my 2016 27rks 4800 miles r/t to west coast ...religiously checked inflation to 60 psi and wear/treads condition on my Trailer Kings before each departure. Never exceeded 65-66-67 mph. 98-100 degrees in Nevada/Utah! Nary a problem.
YstoneWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YstoneWY View Post
Just towed my 2016 27rks 4800 miles r/t to west coast ...religiously checked inflation to 60 psi and wear/treads condition on my Trailer Kings before each departure. Never exceeded 65-66-67 mph. 98-100 degrees in Nevada/Utah! Nary a problem.
I had the same experience with my 2014 27RKS. We towed through Nebraska, North/South Dakota, Idaho, Utah and then back through the central mid-west on our Trailer Kings. We maintained 65 PSI and never over 65 MPH. When we returned home, the tires looked great, inspections never showed a problem.

BUT !!! When I dismounted the tires, two of the four had significant tread separation that was not visible from the exterior, especially when aired up to 65 PSI. Two of my four tires were literally "time bombs waiting to explode". We were very fortunate to have made it home without tire destruction and significant trailer damage.

Like you, with careful inspection and tire maintenance, I was convinced that my Trailer Kings were "good tires for my weight range trailer".... Upon taking them off, I found out that in reality, I was very, VERY lucky to have an undamaged trailer. Don't let exterior appearances fool you !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	14213   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	14214   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	14215   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	14216  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #25
Barbell

John is absolutely right. We had a similar experience with the GY Marathons that came on our rig. After nearly 30,000 miles with no problems, I checked with the local Big O shop to see what shape they were in. One already separated but still holding air. Another starting to come apart. We also were extremely fortunate. Have Saliuns on now with around 8-10,000 miles the last two years. Will give them another year or two and then replace them.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #26
innermusic

Got the camper back today with a new set of Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. Dealer repaired all the damage to the underside and it looks good.
innermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
CWtheMan

IMO the 10% degrading statement for ST tires is out dated.

The statement surfaced about 10-12 years ago in a PDF file on the WWW that originated at Carlisle Tire. As time went on many of the large volume tire retailers like The Tire Rack, Discount Tires and others used the quote in their explanations about ST tires.

Over the years Carlisle has changed names and has vastly improved their products including ST tires. The 10% degrading statement is no longer found in their updated product information documentations.

Carlisle spoke in generalities and many readers just took it to mean all ST tires were equal in that respect. I would not predict other brands would have a degrading percentage they will reveal to the public. When you purchase your next ST replacement tires ask the brand manufacturer about tire degrading. You’ll probably get a stock answer….3-5 years from date of manufacturer.

If anyone has documentation from any other ST brand manufacturer about tire degrading (loss of load capacity) please post it here so we all can see who, how much, and why.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote