Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
mel07green

Montana water heater

A friend has just bought a 2007 Montana, not sure on model, and can't get the hot water to run on gas or electric. The unit is not stabilized. Might that have anything to do with it?

Sorry about the vagueness, he was a bit sketchy on the details.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
hankaye

mel07green, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel07green View Post
A friend has just bought a 2007 Montana, not sure on model, and can't get the hot water to run on gas or electric. The unit is not stabilized. Might that have anything to do with it?

Sorry about the vagueness, he was a bit sketchy on the details.
First things first. Can he get water to flow from any hot water taps?

Check the by-pass for the hot water heater... might have the valves all shut off.

If you have water flowing ... but it's not getting hot...
Check to see if there is a "after-market" gas shut-off valve.

if the RV was stored for any length of time ...
Check to see if some bug has built a condo in any of the parts that they can access from the outside of the unit. While your there and have the access door open might check the ANODE (a part that is designed to allow hard water to eat it up and is sacrifical), might want to replace it if it showes more than 50% of being ate-up. Some of it bitty parts might have broken off and clogged the out line...

Just a few things to look at and ask about.

Would be nice if ya let us know what ya find.....

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
mel07green

Thanks, hankaye. I do know the unit was in storage. Will pass your info on and report back.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
hankaye

mel07green, Howdy;

Got lucky with mine, had ALL the Owner's books and pamphlets from the Manufactures.

You MAY have to hit the RESET SWITCH, Located on the outside upper lefthand side.

Have you purged ALL the air from the system

I had some problems myself over the weekend, ... forgot I live at 6,000' it does effect the operation just a bit.

hankaye
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
FlyPatch

I'm living at 7,400 how does elevation affect the hot water heater? right now i don't have any because it appears the gas or electric isn't working. When it was just a few days ago.

201 Montana 3400RL with SW12DEL hot water model.

just call me stinky!
FlyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
FlyPatch

No gas to hot water heater or furnace....problem solved

I solved my hot water problem, with a little help from a friend.

My symptom was my hot water heater (model SW12DEL) wasn't getting gas. It was working fine yesterday...but not today. I consulted a friend and he told me a story about how he had a similar problem with his furnace...in the winter. We tested his method and BAM! Thus this resolution will also work if your furnace has same symptom. Follow along and in these easy steps you get back in hot water or get you out of the cold.

Symptom:
Propane tanks are on and filled, gas is getting to the stove and spark to unit. But no gas to hot water heater (or furnace).

Resolution:
1. Shut off gas valves to tank(s) if you have more than 1. In my case I have (2) 30 lb tanks with one regulator with a manual divert-er controlling both.
2. Disconnect the gas line to the tank(s), notice you may be able to hear the gas bled from the hose.
3. Ensure your regulator is on for the primary tank (or the tank that has gas and you want to draw from).
4. Reconnect both tanks.
5. Very slowly turn the gas back on, you should be able to hear the gas recharge the line.
6. Now hit the on/off switch to turn on your hot water or furnace.

What just happened?

Apparently (by my assessment) the gas regulators control the flow of gas from the tanks to devices...dah. The regulator internal valves sometimes will stick or malfunction. Hence...no gas flow to devices that require high-volume, i.e. furnace or hot water heater. Your stove doesn't require high-volume. By releasing the gas from the lines it also releases the internal valve pressure from the regulator. Hence resetting the regulator.

Before a mechanic tells you 'your regulator' is bad try these 5 easy steps.

Let me know if this worked for you and got you in or out of hot water!!

FlyPatch
FlyPatch is offline   Reply With Quote