Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #41
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
What gears are you running. I owned a 2010 F150 5.4 3.73 and it was doggy. I now own a 2018 2500 6.4 4.10. It's got more snap than the 5.4 ever had. With 7300 lbs behind the 5.4 it struggled. I currently tow 9300 lbs behind the 6.4 and off the line it's way crisper than the 5.4 was. Out in the real world of 5%-6% grades they feel equal.
Mine has 3.73. I wanted 4.10 but had to search hi and lo for a 2500 that had anything close to what I wanted....and it came with 3.73. I will be looking (am looking) for a 3500 with the 6.4 and 4.10s if I don't go diesel. The 2 1500s I had (2012/13) had 3.55/3.92 respectively.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #42
alpo

Although this was previously mentioned, I do not know anyone who would travel with all three tanks full - maybe one (fresh water). I have found that I travel with all three empty, only filling the fresh water at or very near where I’ll be camping. Why would anyone travel with more than fresh water (except maybe to the nearest dump station upon packing up). That being said I believe the “Best” information a Poster might need is “actual” (from first hand experience) Pin weight of his/her example 5er loaded for travel (with Battery, Full LP Tanks, and Normal Gear and Supplies. If possible add the Pin weight with just fresh water tank full. It gets kind of old hearing the nay sayers keep referencing Trailer GVWR when I expect NOBODY actually travels with their trailers at that point. I have a 3/4 Ton Cummins Ram (by the way having the Cummins is a mixed blessing, you have ample power but the weight of the diesel reduces available Pin Weight) and I figure my next 5er will be really close on Pin weight. Something else I have found is that Manufacturer Stated Available Pin weight (door sticker) might be conservative, and not enforced by DMV. It is the GAWRs (front and Rear) and the trucks GVWR that you will be held to legally. In most referenced cases people have found they had more GAWR than Stated Loading Capacity. Yes it is safer the less you Load/Pull, but most of us use our trucks daily and a DRW One Ton Truck is expensive and tiresome for that purpose. I say stay within your weights (GAWRs and GVWR) and your skill and Safe Zones but get a Trailer you will enjoy, in some cases that may be close. If you plan on being a more mobile than stationary 5er you might want to be more conservative in your approach though.

alpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel