Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM   #1
TimRyan

186ss slide out sag

New RV owner here.
We bought a 186ss last week. I noticed with the slide retraced the slide floor sags. When you go to slide it out it makes a horrible noise from the motors, grinding and popping. If I level the slide while extending it with a moving dolly with wheels and a bottle jack, it extends and retracts great.
I am in the process of fabricating rolling supports for the slide.
My question is, is this normal with such a big slide?
Picture to come soon
Thanks all.
TimRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:45 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRyan View Post
New RV owner here.
We bought a 186ss last week. I noticed with the slide retraced the slide floor sags. When you go to slide it out it makes a horrible noise from the motors, grinding and popping. If I level the slide while extending it with a moving dolly with wheels and a bottle jack, it extends and retracts great.
Picture to come soon
Thanks all.
Year and particular line of trailer is very helpful. Slides in RVs, floorplans etc. change year to year.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:48 PM   #3
TimRyan

2020 keystone hideout 186ss.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2024, 05:21 PM   #4
dutchmensport

What type of slide mechanism does the trailer have: Cable, Rack and Pinion, Schwinteck, Power Gear, or hydraulic. Each one has different ways to adjust the slides, level them out, and straighten them out. Which is yours?
Old 01-18-2024, 05:22 PM   #5
TimRyan

Schwinteck
Old 01-31-2024, 09:44 PM   #6
Gary Schuetz

Keystone's Big Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRyan View Post
New RV owner here.
Picture to come soon
Thanks all.
Tim, in late 2022, we bought the '22 Keystone Springdale 1860ss which I recently learned is very similar (possibly identical) to your Hideout. We were excited about the large slide as you probably was. However, the Schwintek, now LCI, has been giving us problems. When extending the slide out, the rear mechanism sometimes lags the front and when I performed the 'sync' programming cycles, it didn't correct the tracking and several times jammed the slide and shutdown the slide operation. In Dec '22, the rear lower gear made sounds like it disengaged resulting in the slide being out of alignment. We got it into the CampingWorld where we bought it and they reported that they were able to re-program the system to get it restored and told me that what they did wasn't a warranted fix.....consequently my expense. The slide worked ok for a couple camping trips in the summer of '23 and then more recently, last November it happened again. CW just reported that they found that the lower rear gearblock shoes were damaged and the gear had become disengaged from the track and they were following up on a warranty replacement of the rear slide mechanism. My rollers under the slide appear to be carrying the weight of the slide, so I'm still unsure of why the slide gets out of alignment when operating. I'm following your issue(s) because I may learn something from your investigations and lessons. I'm not a champion of the 'in-the-wall' system and in particular where it is extremely difficult to get at like ours is. The rear of the slide is very difficult to get at because of our cabinetry in the rear. I moved my slide controller from under the rear-most under slide drawer to a location at the front of the slide so that I could get at it when the slide is retracted. STUPID KEYSTONE for doing that. Pls stay in touch on this and I'll do my best to keep you up on any lessons that I learn. Regards, gary
Gary Schuetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:20 PM   #7
Bill-2020

Tim or Ryan - do either of you have a slide topper on your slides giving you trouble?

Reason I ask is that I installed both toppers on our Cougar last year shortly after delivery. The schwintek system is on the bedroom slide which is a small wardrobe slide about 5 foot wide and only goes out a couple of feet, maybe 30". Installing the topper per Lippert's instructions still left enough tension on the roller tube to pull that small slide out of alignment. Performing the syncing only fixed it for one actuation in and out, then it was off again. I had to remove the topper, unwrap 3 more wraps of the topper material on the tube and reinstall it. What a major pain. But, by doing that left enough tension on the topper where the rain doesn't pool and it doesn't pull the slide out of alignment. Never had a problem since. I did similar on the longer slide for the couch and fridge but since it's a stronger cable slide I didn't have the same problems.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:20 PM   #8
Gary Schuetz

Hi Tim, just checking in with you to see how you were coming along with fabricating your slide rollers. CW replaced my trailing Schwintek track, H-column and motor assy and so far my slide is behaving. CW gave me the failed system and I could see that the lower gear-block shoes had broken allowing the lower gear to become disengaged and jump track slots to get out of alignment. I've reworked the trim fasteners so that I can get at the Schwintek parts easier without having to pull the OEM staples. I've noted that the slide rollers are carrying the slide when extending and retracting; however, as you noted in your original post, when the slide is retracted, the slide floor sags. So does mine and I'm interested in installing rollers to carry the slide floor when it is retracted. I think that Keystone fell short with supporting this large slide that doesn't rest on the trailer floor.
Gary Schuetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out