Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
weaselguys

Future Full timers with ATV issues

We are planning on going full timer after I turn 62 4 years from now so we have started to work out any issues we could think of and improve our set up now not later. We like to be able to roam around when we are camped and I don't want to put all of that abuse on our tow vehicle, we would normally use our jeep for our roaming but I don't want to drag the extra 4000 lbs up mountain passes so we are going to get rid of it and get a UTV and trailer to haul it on for about 2000 lbs half the weight of the jeep. We have a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins and a 30' Keystone Laredo and I was planning on a 14' trailer for the UTV but that will put us over the length limit in some states like CA,NM,& UT and since we will spend our springs-fall in MT or WY and then head south to AZ,NM or NV the length limit in UT & NM could be a problem, I thought of a shorter 10' trailer barely big enough for the UTV but that may still leave us a little to long. Do any of you pull a second trailer with length issues in any of these states and how do you deal with them ? I am a truck driver so any length of trailers wont be a problem for me and I am licensed for it.
weaselguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
notanlines

We have triple towed for two years and not had any problem. Keep in mind this practice is frowned upon in Washington, Oregon and California. Our total length is now at 71' even. Length is generally ignored wherever you go, just pay attention to the states not allowing the triple tow. The east coast states have all made it illegal.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

We triple tow with our F250, 31' Cougar fifth wheel and either a 8x14' flatbed with the Slingshot or a 20' Bass Tracker trailer (17' boat). Our total length with the boat is 73'5". We've primarily towed that rig in Michigan where the total length allowed is 75'. We just returned in November from a trip through the central states to Mississippi. We had no issues with towing through any of those states, but did find it difficult to locate "pull through overnight sites" along the way. It's a "PITA" to unhitch the back trailer, back into a campsite, hitch to the back trailer, pull it close enough to feel secure, then redo all that 8 hours later.... Otherwise, the trip was great and we plan to repeat it through the southwest in a month or so.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I wonder if Michigan LEOs carry 75' tape measures? Just saying... I envy those who are clever enough to triple tow as I still can't back up my 27' foot 5ver worth a darn. If there are no spectators I can get my 5ver backed into my home slot in about a week; in public with unsympathetic eyes, impossible bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose they carry a 100' tape, but if stopped, since they travel alone, either the DW or me will have to hold one end of the tape while he walks to the other end to measure, so even if we're 76', it'll measure 74'6" LOL Although I've never been stopped anywhere so I don't think they enforce that kind of rule very stringently.

I don't even attempt to back up the rig. When I was in the Air Force, we towed 3 "hay wagon" trailers with missiles on them to the flightline behind a diesel tug. We had some people who could back that entire rig for 200' or more. Me: I had them all "jack-knifed" in the first 10'.... So, with the exception of "straight line backing less than 10', I don't even try. It's either "go around again" or "unhitch the back trailer and pretend I know what I'm doing".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
66joej

1 of the "careers" I had way back when was selling real estate. We used one of these. Actually they were quite accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	measure.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	20244  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Well Hell... There goes my "insurance" against being too long

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
1 of the "careers" I had way back when was selling real estate. We used one of these. Actually they were quite accurate.

The folks in various depts. of our company used these for measuring all kinds of things. Those had pretty big wheels on them. Upon seeing this pic, I DO believe I have seen a motor enforcement division trooper pull one of these out of his trunk.

John, maybe you or DW could distract the officer and the other one turn the little reset knob back to 74'6"!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Oregon does not frown on illegal vehicle combos of passenger vehicles, when caught they get cited. The law for triples used in comm vehicles is different and the passenger vehicle combo will never be legal under those rules. Transporters can get a permit/wavier for use on I-84 mainly from Keystone (Pendleton) to PDX.
Every police vehicle around here has a 100 ft tape and most also have a wheeled stick to measure. The tapes can and are used by nailing the dummy end (it is the zero end) into asphalt/gravel etc. So it only takes 1 person to measure, when going longer you put a nail down at 100 ft and move the tape until your done. I once did that with over 300 yds of skids. Take a guess on what the approximate speed of that vehicle was before it stopped. OK, around 120 mph or as high as 130 mph. I watched that crash and it was a challenge stopping behind the drunk's crash site since I was a going little faster.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
weaselguys

Well I have read that Utah requires a special permit over 65' and that NM is limited to 65' excluding bumpers these are 2 states that I will go into a lot for the winter. I saw a post for cal saying triple tow was allowed up to 65' BTB with brakes on all vehicles up to 55 mph. Has anyone on here actually been in these states triple towing ? OR and Wa double to only sucks as I was planning on go to these states to.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

It was proposed as a new law around 12 years ago in Or. The SP did not oppose the law. I do not remember all the details but it was to be only allowed in day light hours and certain highways and all interstates. I do not know how or why it did not pass committee. Maybe Or will allow it at some time. Everytime I travel near the CA/OR border I see some passenger vehicles pulling 2 trailers into Oregon, not many get to far. In PDX we would see them every summer a time or 2 on graveyard. They always knew it was illegal. How Wa deals with the violation I do not know. I do know they have about 3 times as many troopers on patrol than here. So I doubt many get far.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 AM   #12
notanlines

Ken, curiosity drives me to ask how much the citation was when one was given. I suspect we are all willing to take the risk of paying the citation on occasion. We drive with a tail light out saying "I'll fix it this week-end." We drive at 72, seven miles over, thinking the radar people will ignore us.
Brenda and I do realize that we are over length most places and that triple-towing is not allowed in Alabama, Georgia and Florida. We are just willing to take the risk AND pay the consequences if cited. Not happy, just willing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I do not have a book handy, but beleive it would be a class B and that is a basic fine of $260. Each area will add court costs, still likely under $300 total. In theory you could get cited each time your seen in violation. I hate to say it,but nowadays travel from CA to WA on I-5 you may never see a state trooper on the interstate. My honest guess is you might get though unseen by the troopers. If another person calls dispatch, 1 likely be sent to find you. Not saying none are working just that they work the highways as much as the freeways.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
weaselguys

Well we were out in the 9 degree weather remeasuring our pickup and fifth wheel and we found that if we shortened the utv trailer to 12' we should not run into problems anywhere but at 14' we will break the 65' mark, so I am just going to go with a 12' and I may still be able to put a parts box on the front.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Ccsluke

Get a Toy Hauler. Problem solved!
Ccsluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
LewisB

We towed triples for many years. Problems included:
  • Illegal in many states
  • Impossible to safely get into/out of many gas stations (back then we had a gas rig.
  • Forget about backing up.
  • More tires, axles, brakes; more potential problems.
  • Can't see the vehicle towed behind the 5er so had to have a video monitor so I could spot a flat tire or other problem on the 2nd trailer.
  • Some corners were just to tight for "cheating" second trailer.
  • Overall PITA...

The final straw for me was the time I drove 1/2 mile down a narrow dirt road between a building and a big ditch to get to a dump station and found a locked gate at the end of the road. It took a lot of hard work to get everything moved to the side far enough to get unhooked, back each unit out, then get re-attached. As I recall, it was nearly 4 hours, at which point the wife ask "are you having fun yet?".

I ultimately bought a toy hauler and an tool box/fuel tank for the truck. Now I can back out of any tight spot, don't worry about fuel stations, etc.

Amazing how much more relaxed we are on our long trips now!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
wrgreen45

I live in NM. I and all my buddies tandem pull all the time with no problem I'm usually 70-75 feet long depending on the ate or boat trailer.
wrgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
whcarr

Get a toy hauler! Comes with a work shop, guest bedroom and a 1/2 bath if you get the right one. Plus 'll your gear is in safe place.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #19
lewy64

check out http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel

I saw one of these behind a fifthwheel at a park. I dont know anything about these.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy64 View Post
check out http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel
I saw one of these behind a fifthwheel at a park. I dont know anything about these.
This is a direct quote from the website: "... is if the Swivelwheel system is legal to tow in all states. There are basically 22 states that do not allow double trailer towing, which some call "Triple Towing". These states are the entire east coast from Maine to Florida, Oregon and Washington. We consider the system an extension of the fifth wheel chassis frame. We do not consider it a trailer. The system cannot jackknife or fishtail. It is not like another ball mounted trailer swinging from side to side. Some states may not have that same view. Always check with the states that you are traveling through for details. There are numerous web sites that will give you state by state information in regards to towing laws."

As you can see, they DO NOT accept any responsibility for meeting state law and DO NOT state that their product is legal in any state......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS