Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #21
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
It appears you have Coleman Mach 15 Air conditioners. For air movement they have a 1/3HP motor driving a squirrel cage blower rated at 325CFM for air movement. Air conditioners relies on proper air movement to prevent freeze-up's. Restricting air movement will give lowered discharge temperatures but not more BTU output. you only have 15,000 BTU's of output from each unit. Yes the distribution system has a lot to be desired but it is the best you can do with the restricted room in the ceiling. A more traditional way to do it would be to decrease the size of the main duct after each outlet. This keeps the duct pressure constant along with the air velocity. Constant velocity and pressure equate to equal distribution throughout the coach. By the book the existing ducts are undersized already, so they install two. To go back to the Squirrel cage blower, if it is connected to a undersize duct system the pressure rises and the output (volume) decreases. You may feel more volume out of a few vents but the overall system is underperforming.

Enough opining, if you want to get the most out of your AC system just open the vents on each unit. and quit trying to cool the hot under insulated attic.
Good points on possible freeze ups, etc. My rear AC stopped blowing cold air at end of last trip so need to look into if this is what indeed is happening on next trip. Only one of my outlets directly on the AC is open so might need to open both or perhaps remove one of my plugged ducted vents. I will find the right balance of vents and/or lock the fan on high to help with freezing if that is indeed happening.

Wish I could stop using the ducted vents but the Fuzion 420 with 2 AC's only has ducts in the living/kitchen area so have to rely on them to some degree.

For further follow up, have to say so far the changes I have done are working well as got a few more trips in. It was upper 80's, very humid, and a lot of direct sun hitting the rig and was able to keep the living room in the mid 70's but the ACs did run constantly (the garage AC would cycle off every now and then). The garage is nice is cool and the bedroom/bathroom will freeze you out. So, its not a great balance but much more comfortable than being hot everywhere. I am using just a 12in fan in hallway outside bedroom to get a lot of cold air towards the living room to help. Its actually cold enough in the rig that the only place my dogs will now sleep while AC is on is in the living room which they never did before LOL.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #22
jimthemosaicguy

Fuzion 420 Air Conditioner ... duct layout/fixes/improvements

I’ve gotten pretty good about keeping the filters clean. Thought I was doing good getting on the roof every 3-4 wks. Back a/c unit is under a tree. Now, going up weekly. Definitely helps a few degrees. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4648.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	17834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	17835
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemosaicguy View Post
I’ve gotten pretty good about keeping the filters clean. Thought I was doing good getting on the roof every 3-4 wks. Back a/c unit is under a tree. Now, going up weekly. Definitely helps a few degrees. Attachment 17834Attachment 17835
Personally I'd put some screen on the cover to keep as much out of the coils as possible & to not have to take the cover off every time. Just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #24
jimthemosaicguy

I’ve considered doing that but this is my first RV and still learning..I’m concerned about restricting airflow.
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
ChuckS

Great upgrade to your AC system. I’d bet most fifth wheels have issues with the ducts that owners aren’t aware of. Mine did.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #26
Jennifer Fuzion 414

I just bought a 2016 414 that has an AC in the garage and the bedroom and no unit in the living room so assume mine is similar to yours. I had both AC's on today with the vents on the AC units closed and felt absolutely NOTHING out of the vents in the living room, to say I'm pis*ed is an understatement, I live in AZ... I'm looking forward to reading your posts and seeing how you fixed it, thank you.

PS: I just bought a 33' long borescope so I can grab some video of what's going on, I'll post it when I record it.

Jennifer
Jennifer Fuzion 414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:57 AM   #27
campingivan

420 ac

[QUOTE=twvette;296990]After doing the above the AC is MUCH better.

The vents in the living room have good flow now. Today it is warm, muggy, partially overcast day and first time ever the AC's have really cycled on and off that I have seen and keeping it in at 75 degrees. Still not sure it will keep up on a hot sunny day but big improvement.

The flow I can have into the bathroom is rediculous and almost like being next to the direct AC vent (there is a video of this in link above). Can freeze myself out of the bedroom and bathroom now which is finally normal compared to other toy haulers I have had in past.

Enjoying the ACs being rattle free too if nothing else !!!!

Hope all this helps someone as previous ACs posts have helped me ...[/QUOT
campingivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:01 AM   #28
campingivan

Thanks for information and pics . It drastically improved my airflow in my 420. Pretty sad you have to do this yourself for the price you pay for these things 😡
campingivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, fuzion