Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Andyjman

ATTN Carbon 403 owners. I need a huge favor!!!

Hello,

A few weeks ago I bought a 2018 carbon 403 new from a dealer here in Socal. We had it out this past weekend and we experienced a few issues, but nothing too large. I am having one issue that Id like to personally get sorted out. I really dont want to take it back to the dealer because their service dept has a questionable reputation, and their wait times are long.

Heres what I need if yall don't mind...

Could you take a picture of your living rooms floor, with the pop outs out. Specificially where all the floor vents are for the furnace. When my heater turns on, the floor in the living room will puff up like a balloon. Itll lift up about 2 inches and literally float there. I have a sneaking suspicion that when it was built, they forgot to cut one of the vent holes. I have tried to call keystone to get the layout for the vents, as well as the dealer, and neither was any help. If i am able to find the vent hole, I will cut it out and do it myself, as I am in the HVAC trade. I am also going to remove the existing covers and make sure that they are sealed around their inner diameter. I have one vent in the kitchen area, and one vent by the L shaped couch on the drivers side. Those are the only 2 in the living room area. There also isnt one in the garage, and I was told by the keystone sales rep that it was an oversight on the 2018, but that they fixed it for the 2019. I am doing to end up adding one myself so that its comfortable in there.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks.
Andyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Brentw

LOL, can't help you and sorry for laughing, I'm picturing the look on your face seeing that.

If nobody comes up, try googling walkthrus of new units, you may catch a couple shots of the flooring.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone website has a 3D walkthrough of your trailer. They show two floor vents, one directly in front of the sofa and one centered on the kitchen floor. Both are positioned "long side toward the slides.

You can access the 3D photos here: https://www.keystonerv.com/toy-haule...03-toy-hauler/

I'd suspect that if the factory "forgot to cut out a vent" there would be no airflow in that area (no hole) and if they cut it out and failed to cut the vinyl, you'd easily be able to locate the problem with a simply "fingers over the floor" until you find the depression under the vinyl.

One possibility is that one of the floor vents is not secured well to the floor and there is some airflow around the vent, under the vinyl and causing the vinyl to billow once it warms up enough to be flexible. The vinyl is not glued to the sub-floor. I'd urge you to resist the temptation of spreading glue under the vents to prevent billowing. As the seasons change, the vinyl expands and contracts, gluing it to the floor could cause it to split, a problem in many trailers about 10 years ago.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Andyjman

oh for sure lol. I couldnt figure out what looked wrong until I noticed it. I told the wife that they included heated floors on this one model and it was free lol.

I had considered gluing the floor, but im glad that I didnt. Im planning on figuring where the air is coming through, and making a sort of internal collar that will go down in the supply ducts in the floor and route the air up into the grille, vs catching on the lip of the floor and shooting under it sideways.

Ill shoot pics of it when I get a chance to really dig into it.
Andyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote