Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #21
allenclme

I hate the electric brakes on my Montana 3820FK. CW checked them out and said they worked per spec. I can't get the wheels to get even close to locking up. CW said there is apparently no adjustment on these electric brakes which I confirmed in the manual. I was wondering who you got to do your hydraulic disk brakes? That's my first upgrade before additional batteries.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #22
Ddubya

Here is the link for brakes.

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

My dealer also told me on three occasions that the electric brakes were working. The last time I returned home from the dealership and pulled the hubs. Three of four had parts fall out on the floor. So much for the dealer.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #23
Ddubya

The WFCO inverter is tied directly to the fridge breaker. That is all it powers.(not true)
The inverter is connected to the bus in the power panel which allows it to power anything on that side of the bus including the converter. That is another problem as it allows the converter to run on inverter power.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #24
razahoryin

I have been using a magnum hybrid inverter and been extremely happy
I have 800 watts of solar using a Morningstar MPPT controller and 600 amp hours worth of lifeline AGM 6v batteries...

Have been thinking of battle borne.. but my lifelines are still running strong. Maybe once the current batteries fail...

Boondocking never a problem.. generator. Well I have a Honda 2000 that hardly never gets used...maybe after a few cloudy days..
micro.. Kureg cup of coffee...tv/directv Dvr etc ... it all works..
added a sub panel to split 50 amp electrical panel
razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #25
GBR

Not sure why you are wanting to tie into the converter. If you have the 1000 watt modified sine inverter, that means you likely have a residential fridge. If so, there is a positive wire connected to a 40 amp fuse that connects to a battery bank. The negative wire is connected to the chassis. All you need is to connect the positive wire from the fire to the positive of to a fused buss bar from battery and the negative to a shunt. I added a Progressive industries charger given the distance to the converter. If your running solar for charging then you have the best setup. I use the Honda 2000 to charge the batteries via the Progressive Industries in 3 hours as I no not yet have solar.
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
The WFCO inverter is tied directly to the fridge breaker. That is all it powers.(not true)
The inverter is connected to the bus in the power panel which allows it to power anything on that side of the bus including the converter. That is another problem as it allows the converter to run on inverter power.

I don’t think that is correct. I believe the converter and inverter are fed from the AC bus. When on shore power the inverter is in pass through mode. When not on shore power the only power I have in my rig is to the residential fridge and anything else that runs on 12V.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #27
SR71 Jet Mech

Hey Muniztravels, really nice setup! I’m jealous of the batteries for sure. I actually installed a 2500w/85a pure sine wave inverter charger and run the shore cord through the floor into the basement. I ran wiring from the same compartment you’re in (mine is all in the same compartment) there through the wall into the basement. Installed a 30a RV outlet and plug the shore cord directly off that inverter. Open the breaker for the converter/charger. I have wired a regular 120v generator inlet receptacle to the front of the rig and can run it all from 1 2000w gen( if it gets cloudy). I have 4 FLA 6v batteries otherwise on solar. I do have a residential fridge and the rig came with a 1000w pure sine wave inverter solely for the fridge. On every night we wake up to around 65% remaining battery level (460ah).
I’ll be following......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F21E8CDA-1498-438D-83F6-14A9E3FBDB8F.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	20281   Click image for larger version

Name:	3CD00C72-D8D5-4071-A1A9-6C23A64D1C31.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	20282  

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #28
natureboy

Quote:
Here is a diagram of mine after installing disc brakes. It should be the same as yours less the brakes.
Attachment 20162
Do you recommend a source to create electrical diagrams, such as you have displayed? Would be very useful to have your recommendation.
natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 AM   #29
Ddubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
Do you recommend a source to create electrical diagrams, such as you have displayed? Would be very useful to have your recommendation.
I used PowerPoint

Old 02-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #30
Ddubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I don’t think that is correct. I believe the converter and inverter are fed from the AC bus. When on shore power the inverter is in pass through mode. When not on shore power the only power I have in my rig is to the residential fridge and anything else that runs on 12V.
That is what I thought.

My fridge is powered through a 15 amp breaker in the panel. Since the breaker gets power from the bus bar in the panel it makes since that the other circuits on that common bus bar would also be powered which they are under shore power. I see no way to power the 15 amp breaker for the fridge from the inverter without also powering every thing else on that bus bar.

That said, I will take some voltage measurements today to confirm or deny.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #31
MunizTravels

Hi guy's, I've been still working on the Rig Ddubya, I finally flip the switch on all those batteries everything worked great in the RV except for the Fridge. I never connected the white romex in the front compartment that was connected to the WFCO thinking that the fridge breaker was already on that side of the Box where I moved everything too. I'll have to trace things in the next few days. I have some more pics things i've added.

Right now I want to find out how to configure the Victron Multiplus 12/3000 because as you can see its not showing up in the devices list. Battle Born told me they would have everything done and I only have a Mac computer so configuring myself is not an option. I'm thinking of installing Wine on my Mac to allow me to run a windows program.

On another Note I haven't received updates of messages on this port in the last week I'm sorry guys for who left messages i'll try to respond soon.

Not sure why the pic came out sideways
Armando
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	20285   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	20286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	20287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0835.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	20288  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #32
MunizTravels

SR71 Jet Mech, Mighty nice setup you have their I'm the one who's jealous.

I have 2 generators Champion dual fuel and a Smarter tools 2000w pure sine wave inverter generator. I was thinking of adding a plug to the front of the RV to connect one of my generators very good idea by the way. Hey is that pole on the back of your Rig for your cellular?

Armando
Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #33
Bostongone

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
I hate the electric brakes on my Montana 3820FK. CW checked them out and said they worked per spec. I can't get the wheels to get even close to locking up. CW said there is apparently no adjustment on these electric brakes which I confirmed in the manual. I was wondering who you got to do your hydraulic disk brakes? That's my first upgrade before additional batteries.
What manufacturers electric brakes do you have? I checked a couple of websites and all state or have procedures for manually adjusting the electric brakes snug. They have to be close to engaging as the magnet arm which activates them when braking simply rotates a square cam (with limited movement and height) to push the brake pads out against the drums. So frequent adjustments would be a good idea to compensate for normal wear.
See this link from etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-88379.html
Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #34
Ddubya

Quote:
That is what I thought.

My fridge is powered through a 15 amp breaker in the panel. Since the breaker gets power from the bus bar in the panel it makes since that the other circuits on that common bus bar would also be powered which they are under shore power. I see no way to power the 15 amp breaker for the fridge from the inverter without also powering every thing else on that bus bar.

That said, I will take some voltage measurements today to confirm or deny.
Ok, I stand corrected. The 15 amp breaker in the power panel only controls the fridge when shore power is connected.
The output of the inverter (romex) is connected directly to the fridge outlet. When the inverter senses A/C (shore power) through it's plug in cord it switches the 115VAC from the 15 amp breaker in the breaker panel to the Fridge outlet. When no shore power is available the inverter sends the inverted A/C directly to the fridge outlet.

Inverter wiring.pdf

Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #35
MunizTravels

Ddubya, You Sir are a Genius! that's exactly how it's connected makes so much sense now. I'm heading at lunch time to the RV and rewire the romex. I'm waiting for Battle Born to open so I can call about the Multiplus and Color control not working.

Thank you for all your help.

Armando
Old 10-31-2021, 06:19 AM   #36
oldmadmax52

I am extremely interested in your lithium battery installation. I purchased an Alpine 3401rs last February and have decided to upgrade to lithium. My unit has an onan 5500 generator in the front compartment so I don't have quite as much room there as you do. I have 6 100ah chins lithium batteries (cheapo amazon) and trying to decide on the new inverter charger. Lots of questions when you have time. Especially about the victron.
oldmadmax52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:52 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmadmax52 View Post
I am extremely interested in your lithium battery installation. I purchased an Alpine 3401rs last February and have decided to upgrade to lithium. My unit has an onan 5500 generator in the front compartment so I don't have quite as much room there as you do. I have 6 100ah chins lithium batteries (cheapo amazon) and trying to decide on the new inverter charger. Lots of questions when you have time. Especially about the victron.
The OP, MunizTravels, has not logged onto the forum since February 2020. You might get better results starting a thread of your own, detailing what components you currently have and seeking responses from other members who have similar systems. They can compare/contrast their equipment to yours and relate their experiences. I wouldn't put much hope if a response from MunizTravels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:17 AM   #38
MunizTravels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmadmax52 View Post
Hello Oldmadmax52,

I also have a Generator in the front compartment and had 6 batteries and they fit perfect. but I have since moved all my batteries and equipment to the basement and created a rack system. I now have 8 BattleBorn Batteries with 1 MultiPlus Inverter 12/3000/120, Cerbo GX, 2 MPPT controllers and 2000 watts of solar on the roof. When I moved everything inside the basement I added a Smart Phase Selector from AM Solar so I can power both legs of the converter box. Since Victron came out with the new MultiPlus II I have been contemplating removing the MultiPlus I and adding 2 MultiPlus II. See the one MultiPlus only has 3000 watts in can use across the system. with 2 MultiPlus II you can share 6000 watts across the system. Anyways I'll post pictures in December I'm trying to get it done in the middle of December. The advice that I would give anyone trying to do a battery and solar install is just do it. Don't overthink it give yourself plenty of time and ask as many questions as you need after you start hooking everything up you'll realize its not that difficult. Go ahead and sent me private message and I'll give you my information and ask away.

Armando

Tags
alpine, battery, upgrade