Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #21
Earl

Dexter E-Z Flex Install

Would it be possible to just install the brass bushing and wet bolts and get rid of the nylon stuff in the shackle eye only? And be able to give it a little lube.

efe
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Would it be possible to just install the brass bushing and wet bolts and get rid of the nylon stuff in the shackle eye only? And be about to give it a little lube.
Earl, I'm sure that someone makes them. But the Dexter kit is made to fit the thicker (MUCH THICKER) equalizer parts. The bushings and wet bolts should be available in different sizes from a trailer axle and spring distributer. .... After rereading your post .... yes the Dexter bushings and wet bolts will replace the "nylon stuff" in the spring eye only.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #23
Bob Landry

So far in this thread, I've read about Dexter and Lippert. Are the two manufacturers parts interchangeable, or do I need to know which axle I have and go from there, or is the Dexter kit "universal"?

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #24
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
So far in this thread, I've read about Dexter and Lippert. Are the two manufacturers parts interchangeable, or do I need to know which axle I have and go from there, or is the Dexter kit "universal"?
Bob, Dexter makes different kits depending on axle spacing and type of spring ends. Their website can explain better than I. Lippert uses Dexter parts on some of their frames but shackles, springs and equalizers are mostly sized universally.... Hank
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #25
WaltBennett

I installed the same kit on our Montana last year. Jacked up the whole trailer & supported it w/jack stands and 4"x4" cribbing (not completely off the ground, about 3/4). Used a floor jack to take off all wheels & then did one side at a time. I did not jack the axles by the tubes as in the instructions, but on the U bolts. Also, I ran into alignment issues when hooking up the axles to the springs again - solved that with a come along. Wasn't that hard a job and I'm going to be 70 in May. I put a thread on the Montana Owner's Club forum that details the whole thing.

One other note - Although I bought my kit online, when I started dry fitting everything I found one of the shackle to rubber block anodized thingies had been welded up out of alignment. Contacted Dexter customer service and they sent me TWO replacements right away. Great company to deal with!

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #26
Bob Landry

I just looked at Dexter's website and they sell two different kits, with and without the shackle links. I'm wondering why a guy wouldn't go ahead and replace everything considering the amount of work involved. I did look at the video in a previous post and it looks like a lot of work to knock out the old bushings and start assembling from scratch.
If the Dexter kits are made for the thick links, wouldn't you have to fabricate some spacers or use washers to make up the difference in thickness? $250 for a complete lit doesn't really seem out of line to me.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 AM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
I just looked at Dexter's website and they sell two different kits, with and without the shackle links. I'm wondering why a guy wouldn't go ahead and replace everything considering the amount of work involved. I did look at the video in a previous post and it looks like a lot of work to knock out the old bushings and start assembling from scratch.
If the Dexter kits are made for the thick links, wouldn't you have to fabricate some spacers or use washers to make up the difference in thickness? $250 for a complete lit doesn't really seem out of line to me.
Bob, They sell just the equalizer (center piece with the rubber cushion thingy) separately for replacement when needed. Mine have over 10000mi and still like new. Each kit comes with all you need and step by step instructions (which can be downloaded beforehand just to see if you are comfortable to do it. They make it seem harder than it really is with some CYA statements for each step of install. Can't blame them.)
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
rjsurfer

Hank,

Just curious if you lost or gained any ride height? Or did you put the new tires on right away?

Thanks

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #29
Fixjet

Did this mod last summer. I would highly recommend it. And the complete kit is the way to go. The shackles are much heavier grade and the ability to grease the bolts is a big big plus.
Fixjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Hank,

Just curious if you lost or gained any ride height? Or did you put the new tires on right away?

Thanks

Ron W.
Ron, I did not loose any ride height measured with original tires. I did however loose some clearance to the fenderwell when going to the 16" tires. I have not had any rubs in over 10,000 mi. of some pretty nasty roads.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #31
Bob Landry

I went out today and took a photo and did some measurements.

Everything was spot on except one measurement. The arms were exactly 3 1/2' long, the distance from the top bolt to both of the lower bolts that connect the arms was exactly 3 1/4" and the axle spacing center to center was 33". The only one that was off. That was between the two bottom bolts. Dexter said it needs to be 5 1/4"-6" or something like that. Mine measured 4 1/2". That puts me 3/4" off and split between the two sides makes it 3/8" off. I don't know if that's enough to cause a problem. I wouldn't think so, but I'm going to call Dexter tomorrow and see what their tech people have to say. That Dexter kit really looks nice.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #32
WaltBennett

Quote:
I went out today and took a photo and did some measurements.

Everything was spot on except one measurement. The arms were exactly 3 1/2' long, the distance from the top bolt to both of the lower bolts that connect the arms was exactly 3 1/4" and the axle spacing center to center was 33". The only one that was off. That was between the two bottom bolts. Dexter said it needs to be 5 1/4"-6" or something like that. Mine measured 4 1/2". That puts me 3/4" off and split between the two sides makes it 3/8" off. I don't know if that's enough to cause a problem. I wouldn't think so, but I'm going to call Dexter tomorrow and see what their tech people have to say. That Dexter kit really looks nice.
Good idea to call them. The links on our Monty are much further out than yours - more like 30 degrees from horizontal.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #33
Bob Landry

Is your axle spacing 33" or 35"? If it's larger, that would put the arms closer to horizontal.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #34
Bob Landry

The education continues....

I emailed Keystone and gave them my VIN number, asking who manufactured the equalizers on my Outback. They told me they was made my Al-ko. I called Dexter and after sending them a photo of the equalizer, they said Al-ko was one of their competitors and that the equalizer in the photo I sent was one of theirs(LCI). Makes me wonder if Keystone even has a clue what they are rolling out the door, but that's a topic for another thread.

Dexter's tech guy asked my what the length of my leaf springs was and I didn't know. He said for their equalizer to fit on a tandem rig with axel center to centers of 33", the leaf spring has to be 26". They used leaf springs of three different lengths, 21", 24", and 26", so I get to go back and measure leaf springs.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #35
Bob Landry

Upon further Internet surfing, I discover that LCI is Lippert, so I don't know if Dexter and Lippert are co-owned or if they just provide components for each other. it really doesn't matter, but it's really become rather interesting tracking all of this stuff down

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #36
RdRmr

Bob,
Lippert and Dexter are two separate companies. There are three systems on the market today, one from Dexter one from Lippert and another from Mor-Ryde. I had that Equa-Flex Trail Aire system by Lippert on my High Country and they cracked, both units. Replaced them with the E-Z Flex system with wet bolts from Dexter. My axles are Dexter 4400 lb. and have a spacing of just about 33 1/2". Haven't had any more issues, if you are going to swap them do the wet bolt kit as well. Each year when I check the bearings I give the bolts a shot of grease too. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #37
Bob Landry

I ran across this thread on another forum. This guy did the E-Z-Flex conversion and it's loaded with photos. A great read for anyone thinking about doing this..

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...pics-9839.html

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #38
jsmith948

Bob,
We went with the wet bolt kit from LCI. Our Trailair equalizers were replaced under warranty due to cracking of the rubber 'donuts' inside the equalizers. I have read about some of these having developed cracks in the welds. Ours did not have this issue. just the badly cracked rubber. LCI agreed to ship new equalizers to me and I would supply the labor. Bought the wet bolts and have been very happy with the results. The nylon bushings were badly worn. I don't know about the 'never fail' polymer bushings. I've never been a fan of 'maintenance free' - no such animal IMHO. If I hadn't received new Trailair equalizers under warranty, I would have gone the Dexter route.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #39
maxx1963

I just bought the complete dexter ez-flex kit with wet bolts today from Nicks truck parts. Can't wait to get it all on and try it out!

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #40
abneynormal

heres my trek into wel bolting on video

dexter is 1.5 inches lower than lippert/equaflex. I will never buy from lippert again. watch.

mor ryde or dexter next time.