Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Hankster

No WDH on half ton with 7000# trailer

Just had a fellow pull in next to us with what I think is an imagine 2500RL. He is driving a '13? Ram 1500 sport with a cap on the bed. Noticed he was sagging quite a bit, and then I noticed he was not using any type of weight distribution or sway control.
This camper is nearly identical to the weight of my 261rbswe. I couldn't imagine driving my rig without WDH, and antisway.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Kylemcmahon1

You can not fix stupid. Those are the ones that you hope you are not on the road with you and your family.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I know it's not for some, but I would at least question the person about his knowledge of towing, dangers etc. Ignorant people should not be allowed to put anything behind their truck. Since the laws, unfortunately, allow that, we, as fellow towers, need to try to "help" in situations where there is an obvious malfunction.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I put as much blame on the dealership for letting him take it that way.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Neighbor had a guest arrive from out of state. New 150 pulling a new 26 ft TT.
They asked about parking in front of my house for a day. That was fine. Later I looked at the combo and noted no WDH or anti sway. I suppose there are some who refuse to spend the money to be safe.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would as well, however if it was sold to him, and installed improperly set up with as little care as mine originally was, he probably figured it wasn't worth the effort to use it. I had to completely redo ours to gain any great benefit.
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The thing is we don't know what he told the dealership. Maybe he picked it up with a heavier truck or told them he had ordered a new wdh and will install it himself.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #8
TLB

He figured the truck has a hitch then I should be able to tow what ever I want.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #9
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The thing is we don't know what he told the dealership. Maybe he picked it up with a heavier truck or told them he had ordered a new wdh and will install it himself.
No Marshall I think if he showed up with a heavier truck they would have sold him a bigger trailer.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Old Mustanger

He might have bought it used from a previous owner and not from a dealer?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
linux3

This past July I had to move my TT so our driveway could be sealed. I didn't want to bother with connecting the WDH just to go around the block so I just dropped it on the ball. Around the block was ~1 mile.
I could not believe the difference!
My TT is way lighter than a 2500RL and I was not comfortable pulling it. Plus it bounced like crazy and shook everything inside.

Hankster, as this was my first TT and first pickup it took me a while to realize just how badly the dealer set up my WDH. Took me a while to get it right too.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
FlyingAroundRV

I was speaking with a guy here in Oz who was pulling a trailer with what I judged to be an insufficient TV. He had no anti sway or WDH gear on the hitch and so I asked him about that. He was quite insistent that he didn't need such stuff to tow his rig. He had extra heavy springs added to the back of the truck to lift it but it still sagged a bit.
Just saying this, because with the best intent in the world, some people won't take advice/suggestions under any circumstances. The best we can hope for is that we're not in the vicinity when they come undone.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
I was speaking with a guy here in Oz who was pulling a trailer with what I judged to be an insufficient TV. He had no anti sway or WDH gear on the hitch and so I asked him about that. He was quite insistent that he didn't need such stuff to tow his rig. He had extra heavy springs added to the back of the truck to lift it but it still sagged a bit.
Just saying this, because with the best intent in the world, some people won't take advice/suggestions under any circumstances. The best we can hope for is that we're not in the vicinity when they come undone.
There is ample evidence of this, right here on our little forum..... Some people look for confirmation of what they know is wrong, seeking to justify their mistakes and when they don't get it, become confrontational, attempting to prove they are right..... Sometimes reason can help them understand, sometimes nothing on earth will convince them..... That's the ones we all want to avoid when they're towing on public roads.

Fortunately, most "reasonable" people, when they see the "whole picture" change their thinking and want to be as safe as they can be. That positive outcome makes most of the frustration worthwhile, except in a few situations.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'll post an observation on the human condition.
A lot of (if not most) people are utterly resistant to admitting making a mistake. In a lot of cases, their mistakes stem from a desire to save money, but in other cases, their mistakes come from prejudices or susceptibility to hype and propaganda.

"It is easier to fool someone, than it is to convince them that they've been fooled".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

In my experience most people will lie to a officer about anything to try and avoid a cite or arrest. Few admit to to just a simple mistake.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
In my experience most people will lie to a officer about anything to try and avoid a cite or arrest. Few admit to to just a simple mistake.
I think you are 100% correct. I, myself, believe that the "cops" are the good guys. I've been stopped over the decades many, many times simply because I had lots of miles to cover in my job and "sitting back at 55-70mph" just wouldn't work...or keep my job. The one thing I believed in then (working) and now, is that you own what you do. I am anal about how I drive and how fast I drive; back then it was fast. When a trooper or LEO stopped me I never argued; I just simply tried to explain the situation and let the officer give me the options. Never met a state trooper in TX, AZ, FL or CO that was a bad guy or gave me a ticket for something I didn't deserve....and I always told them that. Unfortunately, with society degenerating every day, I can see the general "quality" of folks declining....it's sad.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #17
chapmast

My wife and I have on separate occasions this summer watched 1/2 ton trucks towing a 30'+ TT without sway control and watched them lose control but they were able to bring it back under control before they left the highway and luckily no one was very close to them. The one my wife saw and the one I saw were both running around 75 mph and moving in and out of traffic like they were driving a car.
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS
chapmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmast View Post
My wife and I have on separate occasions this summer watched 1/2 ton trucks towing a 30'+ TT without sway control and watched them lose control but they were able to bring it back under control before they left the highway and luckily no one was very close to them. The one my wife saw and the one I saw were both running around 75 mph and moving in and out of traffic like they were driving a car.
I wonder how many of those are the same people who post statements like, "I can tow my 36' trailer behind my half ton truck and I don't even know it's back there."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #19
packnrat

can not blame the dealer too much. they push there sales staff to only think profit.
it is up to the owner ( buyer) to know the laws and safety.
but a sales man will sell a 45 ft delux fifth wheel to a guy towing with a toyota hylux.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
can not blame the dealer too much. they push there sales staff to only think profit.
it is up to the owner ( buyer) to know the laws and safety.
but a sales man will sell a 45 ft delux fifth wheel to a guy towing with a toyota hylux.
Not all, Watched a customer at CW get really pissed when the salesman told him he could buy the 5er but they would not put the hitch on his 1500 or let it leave if he put a hitch on the truck. Customer went into a vulgar rage and said XXX XX dealer down the road would do it. He peeled out heading to the dealer that would and CW salesman lost a $46K sale.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote