Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Getn off

Pantry wall wont stay put.

Hey fellas.
Brand new 2018 Sprinter Limited 3551fwmls. Has a large full sized pantry located between the fridge and the recliners that are all in the port rear slide.
When I took delivery the pantry door would not close so they adjusted it. It never would stay closed very well. It looked like the door was too small, or the walls are too far apart. Turns out that both walls did come loose at the bottom. The dealer lined them up and re-tigtened them down to the floor so the door was aligned perfectly. As soon as the slide is closed, then opened again, the walls are loose on the bottom agan and the door wont say latched!
They took everything apart and were baffled. They ended up screwing the lower wall trim and parts from the bottom and above. Looked great at dealer. Moved slide in and out and it was good.
Drove home and opened the slides to find that the lower walls seperated again and the door wont latch.
Not sure if this part is important, but when the slide is full in or full out, the walls seem pretty tight on the floor. When the slide is stopped mid way, the walls are very loose and move easily. Also, they did find (at least) 1 screw that was sheared in half. They checked the length of the screws and they seemed correct they said. I am also a mechanic and was around while they worked on it the second time. I cant see why this is happening.
What is going on here??? Anyone have a clue? Dealer is stumped. I suggested they contact Keystone and talk with engineering. I am using it tomorrow for the weekend and will be dropping it off again monday.
Just looking for some advise that I might use or relay to the dealer.
Also, what happens if they cannot fix this problem? Buy back, trade, Im hosed? Only had this since Sept.
Thanks in advance.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd make sure the dealer is reporting it to Keystone exactly as you described it (with photos) so they can instruct the dealer on exactly what to do to repair it. Chances are what was sent to the factory is a "brief summary" that has the "experts at Keystone" thinking one thing and the dealer seeing something else.... They need to both be on the same page. My guess is they aren't....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd make sure the dealer is reporting it to Keystone exactly as you described it (with photos) so they can instruct the dealer on exactly what to do to repair it. Chances are what was sent to the factory is a "brief summary" that has the "experts at Keystone" thinking one thing and the dealer seeing something else.... They need to both be on the same page. My guess is they aren't....
Bingo! When we run into these kinds of things, it’s all about pictures and documentation as to what was done, and a request for guidance from the factory. We find that doing what the factory says, keeps the ball in their court and the dealer isn’t stuck with the labor bill.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Getn off

Def makes sense, but I wonder how involved with Keystone they got. Pretty sure they sent me on my way yesterday and figured it was complete. Left a vm today when I opened the slide and mentioned that maybe they should get engineering involved. The service mgr said he was completely stumped as to why this is happening.
To me, it seems like if it is secure after fixing it, moving the slide shouldnt affect anything. They claim the screws are correct length and no interferance.
Guess we wait and see what Keystone suggests.
Thanks guys.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote