Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
LHaven

Manscape irrigation

We have yet to be able to get away in our new 2019 Cougar, but in preparation, I have been trying out the systems one by one. Recently, I decided to try out the shower in the rig.

I discovered that the water pressure performance in the shower is not what I'd call adequate. It works acceptably as long as you hold the head above you and allow the water to descend. But when you hold the shower head low and direct it upward to wash the regions that tend to most need washing, the water won't rise even an inch off the surface of the shower head; it just runs off the backside.

Our old rig's manual explicitly specified that its systems were good to 50PSI, so way back when, we invested in an adjustable pressure valve for our hose and set it there. It worked fine in the old rig, and it's still set to 50PSI.

Keystone's manual is relatively weak when it comes to specifics. It just says "use a pressure regulator." No limit is specified. What is Keystone's recommendation in this regard?

Does anybody have any idea why I am seeing such poor performance from the supplied shower head? Is this common in Keystones?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It's not normal. Are you using a city water supply? What is the incoming pressure? Are you using a filter? Is it clogged? Have you installed an aftermarket shower head? Just some things to look at first. If I leave my regulator 50psi and I actually have 50psi coming in, I have very good pressure and spray to reach "those places".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Pull Toy

In light of the fact that it's a brand new rig, you might want to check for construction detritus in all of the plumbing parts. Try taking the shower head off of the hose and check for adequate flow, and then re attach it. Also try work the manual shutoff button on the shower head a few times. The same goes for all sink strainers. It's will amaze you how much sawdust and stuff come "FREE" with a new trailer. Also, depending on your shower heads design, there may be a flow restrictor (water saver) in the line. This can be popped out for better flow, but the sacrifice is more water consumption if your dry camping.

We run 50#s and have more than adequate water pressure with the factory shower head.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You're seeing "poor performance from the OEM shower head because it's the cheapest, low bid item that Keystone could find that "looked good enough to call expensive".... Yeah, I just used "doublespeak"....

As for the "maximum allowable pressure" I don't think I've ever seen an "official recommendation" from Keystone. What I use is the "water pump logic"... My FloJet water pump is rated for 3.5 GPM at 35 PSI. So, I'd suppose that setting my regulator (not my pressure reducer restriction device) at 40PSI or 45PSI should provide sufficient water pressure. If you have a "cheap plastic pressure reducer" they all work by restricting volume to attain low pressure, so once the "trickle of water reaches the shower head, there's not enough volume to "push the water jets to the nether regions.

I'd suggest getting an adjustable water pressure regulator and a Oxygenics Body Spa shower head with remote shutoff valve. They are available in chrome, white and brushed nickel, Here's a link to one source for the brushed nickel shower head. https://www.amazon.com/Oxygenics-264...gateway&sr=8-3 I'm sure that you can probably find one cheaper, but this is a quick source to provide the information....

As for the OEM shower head, consider it much like the OEM mattress, the OEM stereo, the OEM tank status indicator, the OEM tires and the OEM owner's manual.... All, bare minimum to meet the requirements to say, "Something was provided".....

Oh, and regardless of which setting you decide to use for your input water pressure.... NEVER (ever) leave the campsite with water turned on to the trailer... ALWAYS turn your water off, you never know when a hose clamp or a PEX line might split or come off the fitting..... If the water is turned off, you won't return to a "luxury spa without whirlpool jets" as you open the door.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
LHaven

I'm running off city water at my own place, where the pressure runs between 60-70PSI. I suppose I ought to invest in a portable hose-bib readout gauge next time I'm in town.

My regulator is an all-brass adjustable Watts, which I trust.

It never occurred to me that a cheap OEM shower head might have a flow restrictor in it, but now it does. I have two other heads just hanging around that I could swap in immediately to see if I see an immediate difference.

As for turning the city water off when I'm out of the rig, I guess we've been pushing our luck for 20 years. We probably ought to stop doing that.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
KSH

Get the oxygenics. Problem solved. Even my wife can wash her hair now.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #7
BAK

The first upgrade I've done on the last couple of trailers we bought was to replace the shower head with an Oxygenics shower head.

BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
ADQ K9

I guess this would be the same for the outside shower head at least a flow reducer/ restrictor. I will have to look at what my regulator is,it is fixed not adjustable.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
LHaven

We find the outside shower head useful mostly for sandy feet or greasy hands, not quite as demanding.

From my perusal of catalogs, I think most of the fixed regulators are set at 35.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
I guess this would be the same for the outside shower head at least a flow reducer/ restrictor. I will have to look at what my regulator is,it is fixed not adjustable.
If your regulator/reducer is similar to this one without a pressure gauge, then it's the type that significantly reduces volume as well as pressure and although it will work for RV use, typically people aren't satisfied with the results of "minimal volume showers"...

You will need to find a "true pressure regulator" that's adjustable and doesn't restrict water volume. They are similar to the photo with the gauge and don't significantly restrict volume, giving a much more satisfactory shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure reducer 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	20756   Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure regulator.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	20757  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #11
LHaven

The problem turned out to be one of elementary fluid mechanics, not a water pressure problem.

The OEM shower head had a limiter of 2.5GPM, and 40 orifices in the head. When pointed upward, the water barely bubbled over the head surface.

A spare shower head I had on hand had the same limiter, but only 20 orifices in the head. I got about a 4" rise out of that one, which probably would have been adequate for most purposes. It also had a "pulsator" setting, where the water jets from only four orifices -- I got at least three feet of rise out of that setting, which should handle the most demanding requirements.

Unfortunately, the spare shower head wasn't for an RV, and so is lacking the shutoff button... so I'll use it until I can get around to obtaining a better head. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'm all set.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
ADQ K9

Yup thats my regulator given to me by my RV tech son (the fixed one) Outside shower is used for hosing off dirty dogs. So I guess A new ADJUSTABLE regulator is in the cards for me and set to 45 psi.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
LHaven

When you get your regulator, get one that lets you remove the gauge and replace it with a plug once you have it set where you want it. My first one didn't, and the gauge got battered in campgrounds in short order. Now I run with a Watts LFH560. (But wow, how the price of these has gone up since I bought mine.) :-(
Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #14
oldmanbill

I live in a 30 foot Cougar, My water system feeds from a house hose faucet through a Watts 3/4 regulator set on 50 psi, through about 100 ft of 1/2 cpvc, buried. My pressure is just ok, but works fine. Just old plumbing fundamentals, the volume is cut at the shower head, generally at a rubber washer with a small hole in it. Drill it out larger to raise the volume. My big complaint is needing a check valve in the input, gets freezing every time I shut it off at the shower head. Only place my pressure is poor is at the 310 toilet and yes, checked the screen. Poor excuse for a toilet anyway, had a 320, was great.
oldmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
daveinaz

*First* I never thought I'd read the word "manscaping" on this forum... LOL

Second, I also recommend getting an adjustable pressure regulator with a dial on it. No more wondering what the pressure is that way.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
BAPotter

X2 on Johns Oxygenitics recommend. I installed this and increased the perceived pressure a lot and cut water consumption in half.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #17
cookinwitdiesel

I have one of these but have not used it yet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EVTJHYK/
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #18
notanlines

I'm with Daveinaz; I thought when I read the title of this thread that it was from a late-night television station. "But if you order in the next 30 minutes.…"
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #19
Local150

One of the first things I have done to every trailer I have owned is install a better grade shower head
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #20
jimborokz

I put in the Oxygenics shower head from my sob that I traded in with it's original head. I put it in right away and never did try the oem head. All works find.
As for curb pressure, I have an adjustable regulator but seldom use it. I check the press when I hook up and it's usually under 50 psi. Having said that, at home I have about 80psi and I find when I turn the regulator up I don't seem to get more pressure in the rig at any of the faucets. I have alot of faith in the pex plumbing in newer trailors but I'm wondering if Keystone has put an inline regulator somewhere in the system.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote