Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
TomD1

Open hose coming from the water pump

While looking for something that fell out of a drawer I took the panel off under the sink of my Sprinter, with the panel off I noticed a hose coming from the water pump that was open on the other end. there was a shut off valve at the pump end. Can someone tell me what this hose is for.?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
NorskeBob

On our previous RV there were 2 valves at the water pump. One to allow it to take a suction from the water tank and another one with a hose attached for winterizing the RV.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

That hose is for winterizing. You would put that end in a container of RV antifreeze, turn the valve and turn on the water pump. You would also want to bypass the water heater.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
TomD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That hose is for winterizing. You would put that end in a container of RV antifreeze, turn the valve and turn on the water pump. You would also want to bypass the water heater.
Thanks Chuck, I plan on winterizing by blowing out the system with air being it doesn't get to cold here very often. I guess that hose won't get much use.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Stanbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD1 View Post
Thanks Chuck, I plan on winterizing by blowing out the system with air being it doesn't get to cold here very often. I guess that hose won't get much use.
Using compressed air to winterize is a good idea but you still need to separately deal with the pump via that hose and valve.

Think about it . . . the external city water connection does not go to the pump input so no amount of air is going to blow it out. You can supply compressed air to the pump via that hose or you can stick the hose into an RV antifreeze bottle. Either way, you need to set the bypass valve to the winterize position and run the pump so that any water inside the pump is replaced with air or antifreeze. If using air, keep the pressure low so as not to damage the rubber diaphragm in the pump.

Afterwards, be sure to turn the valve back to the normal position so that, come spring, the pump draws from the fresh water tank and doesn’t just suck air through that hose. Spoken from experience.
Stanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
TomD1

I guess I got lucky this year even though it got down to 18, maybe my blowing back through the HW heater did it.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #7
AlBeatty

Blowing Out Pipes For Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD1 View Post
I guess I got lucky this year even though it got down to 18, maybe my blowing back through the HW heater did it.
Hi Tom & group,

I also blow my pipes out. After doing so I temporarily disconnect the pipe from the pump itself so I can pump out the last little bit of water left in it. Then I reconnect the pipe and I'm ready to go in the spring. I've been doing that for 20 years on various RVs and we often get winter temps below zero so the system seems to be working. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al

Tags
water, water pump