Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Backup camera option

I have a 2018 passport 2920bh, it comes set up ready for thw furrion backup/observation system. That system system is very expensive. I I have found cheaper systems on amazon (ex:camecho system and others). Has anyone ever added one of these cheaper systems to the housing and/or wire that came pre installed on the camper. If so how did you do it, how did it work? If you just went with the furrion system how does it work?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
meaz93*

Since your trailer already is prewired for a Furrion Camera system....I would definitely go with the Observation camera.
In fact I did with my 38' 2018 Keystone Outback, since it was prepped from the factory. What a cool way to (view traffic behind the trailer) roll down the highway!
It is worth every dollar spent-IMOClick image for larger version

Name:	20150710_123828.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	20986
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
Larrystegall

Unlikely a different brand camera will fit in the housing. A camera kit will come with a housing and you can just replace the one there. I too like the observation feature for traffic and parking. The wire is hooked into the lighting system so the TV lights will have to be on (some model TVs may work with the DRL). It took 4 minutes to install the camera, near an hour to wire in the monitor around the widshield in the truck. I mount it by the rear view as that where I would look when not towing. Caution, Furrion has two models, and the “backup” camera will not refresh fast enough for traffic monitor.
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
xrated

There is a company called Tadibrothers.com that sells a lot of different styles of backup and observation cameras for RV, trucks, farm equipment, etc. and they also have adaptors that will allow you to mount some of their cameras to the Furrion mount that comes on a lot of the pre-wired trailers. You might want to check them out. Disclaimer....I have not yet purchased any type of observation camera for the new trailer, but I will eventually.....after I get caught up with the other stuff I'm doing.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 AM   #5
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

My camper came pre wired for Furrion. That sounds like something, but it's not. That just means there is 12 vdc ready to be used at top center back of trailer. On my rig the power is tied into the marker lights. Marker lights on = camera on.

The Furrion observation system is an older model, the Furrion Vision S is the current model. I installed this system with 2 side cameras. The camera came with it's own mount so the "blank" on the TT was thrown away.

The Vision S system has three different monitor sizes and 1 to 4 cameras as options. It can be tricky when price shopping, watch out for the older observation system mixed into your search results.

There is nothing premium about furrion products, except the price.

I'm going out on a limb here, any backup camera can be mounted there. Just be prepared to fill a couple screw holes with RTV due to mounting pattern mismatch.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Pcfdmaddog

Furrion pre-wire

I just purchased a 2021 Keystone Montana that was supposed to be pre-wired for a Furrion Camera. However, after taking the cover plate off, the female adapter was zip-tied to some wires but not attached to anything.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and where does the adapter need to be spliced in?
Pcfdmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #7
Treebzl

I was able to install a Haloview in a Furrion 'bird house' on another trailer. I had to buy an adapter kit available from Haloview. In total it was cheaper than the Furrion and worked well.
Treebzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:38 AM   #8
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfdmaddog View Post
I just purchased a 2021 Keystone Montana that was supposed to be pre-wired for a Furrion Camera. However, after taking the cover plate off, the female adapter was zip-tied to some wires but not attached to anything.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and where does the adapter need to be spliced in?
I believe these cameras are spliced into the nearest "running light" on the trailer. Just so you know, the running lights have to be on for the camera to work, so if you have a truck with "auto" headlights, when the headlights go out, so does the camera.

For me I just turn the lights "on" when I get in the truck for towing. The truck reminds me to shut them off when the key comes out.

The system is a bit pricey, I opted for the 5 inch screen, but it is helpful during towing, and when backing into spots. You can turn the audio up and down, so I have it off for the tow, but on when backing into a spot.

The most helpful it has been was this last trip when I had a State Trooper come up on me on the way to the scene of a accident or a broken down car up the road. I could hear the sirens but didn't see anything in the mirrors, than I looked at the camera and there they were.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
BubbaShoots

I purchased a VisionWorks camera with the Furion mount from technorv.com. The camera is a Sony and it is fantastic day or night. It mounted perfectly into the Furion prep. Came already paired. No booster was required. Multiple size monitors are available as well as side camera.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
EHT63

Furrion cameras will not work with 2021 GMC tow vehicles. They are working on a fix but to date have not come up with one.
EHT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:25 AM   #11
donhaller

I just purchased a new Outback 330RL in November and installed the Haloview Backup camera system including side cameras for a lot less than the Furion. The other posters are correct that all the Camera prep gets you is a loop of wire coming from the running lights. You must have the running lights on for the camera to work.

I will say that the Haloview system is far superior to my old Furion S that was installed on my previous camper. Haloview is available from Amazon or directly from their website. I have a 38 foot trailer so I went with a system that also had a transmitter that could be mounted up top in front of the TT to assure good signal. The monitor allows for up to four cameras and a variety of views. The monitor also saves the video to an SD card if you want to have video of an incident.

Anyhow, its a more affordable option and in my opinion way better quality image than my Furion was.
2021 Silverado 2500 6.6 Gasser
donhaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
Schbobby

Like a few of the others purchased the Haloview camera and am very happy. Got the adapter for the Furion and took about 20 minutes to get set up and mounted. To work need the running lights on but see what is about 50 feet behind the camper with a long bed F350 and a 36 foot camper. I do get some delay with roadside interference.
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
HLB1

I bought a Furrion compatible camera from TadiBrothers to hook up on my 2018 Keystone Passport. There was no comprehensive description of what was needed. The TadiBrother's manual showed a different monitor than I bought, not helpful. I read through this string to find out the running lights had to be on. I hooked my camera up today, it all works, but I have not driven with it anywhere yet. Point here is, Thank You to the folks that responded to this question, you helped me out.
2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

HLB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #14
jazzman4

I went with the Haloview RD7. Great system and there is very little, if any, lag time from camera to monitor. Likely due to the booster/repeater that is mounted at the very front of the trailer on the roof. Since I can see both sides of my trailer with my mirrors, I only purchased the back up camera.
jazzman4 is offline   Reply With Quote