Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
RubyCJ

Hauling kayaks with 5th Wheel

Does anyone take a couple kayaks with them and their 5th wheel camper?
I have seen some short kayaks on the back of the camper standing straight up but a 12' kayak ? Camper is at 13' + tall.
Also wondering if it is possible to install a rack over the TV roof to the front area of the bed on an 8 foot bed. Even if the kayaks hung into the bed area a bit would they interfere for normal driving/turning. They could be removed to make a sharp turn getting into a tough campsite.
Just wondering.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
gkainz

go to this google search

https://www.google.com/search?q=kaya...w=1440&bih=913

and click on Images
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
RubyCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
go to this google search

and click on Images
Thanks !
I thought it was a little crazy thinking, but it was an idea. I see many have mounted them over the cabin and they look reasonable.
Interesting.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCJ View Post
Does anyone take a couple kayaks with them and their 5th wheel camper?
I have seen some short kayaks on the back of the camper standing straight up but a 12' kayak ? Camper is at 13' + tall.
Also wondering if it is possible to install a rack over the TV roof to the front area of the bed on an 8 foot bed. Even if the kayaks hung into the bed area a bit would they interfere for normal driving/turning. They could be removed to make a sharp turn getting into a tough campsite.
Just wondering.
The one rack is pretty sweet, but I don’t want something stuck on my truck the whole time. We are looking at the rack that goes on rear of 5th wheel. 2 yaks and 2 bikes.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
gkainz

Hauling kayaks with 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
The one rack is pretty sweet, but I don’t want something stuck on my truck the whole time. We are looking at the rack that goes on rear of 5th wheel. 2 yaks and 2 bikes.

I’ve seen one football goalpost kind of rack that plugs into a front mounted receiver hitch, and a second rack that goes into stake pockets in the bed behind the cab. Easily removable when you don’t need it.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
If you consider this type of rack, remember that 12' kayaks mounted 2' above the ground will be 14' in the air. Most states limit maximum height to 13'6", so you'll be tall enough to hit some overpasses, so take that into consideration before buying that type rack. If you do buy it and decide to just lower it a bit, remember that the rear bumper on many trailers is "dangerously close to the ground" on inclines into gas stations and many campgrounds. So, if you let the kayaks sit at/below the edge of the rack, you may find that your 12' kayaks are 11'9" long....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Fireman286

The mounts in the picture link works great. I use the Yakima rooftop bars and the goalpost in a front hitch. I was initially worried about looking at the goalpost in front of me while driving, but after a couple miles you don’t even notice it.
One advantage is that the kayaks shade the cab from the sunlight while driving. I believe it actually increased my mileage slightly, I guess maybe it changes the aerodynamic of the camper?
I carry a 12’ and 14’ kayak.
Fireman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
go to this google search

and click on Images
Hey, that turned up pictures of the rack I made for our Blue RAM 2001.5 Standard cab with the two kayaks upside down one over the other, with the Cardinal trailer.... Bottom was 12' top 10'. Truck, kayaks, trailer all gone now. I built my own front receiver out of a junk yard find. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1125.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	20936   Click image for larger version

Name:	New hitch.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	20937  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you consider this type of rack, remember that 12' kayaks mounted 2' above the ground will be 14' in the air. Most states limit maximum height to 13'6", so you'll be tall enough to hit some overpasses, so take that into consideration before buying that type rack. If you do buy it and decide to just lower it a bit, remember that the rear bumper on many trailers is "dangerously close to the ground" on inclines into gas stations and many campgrounds. So, if you let the kayaks sit at/below the edge of the rack, you may find that your 12' kayaks are 11'9" long....
Good points. I’ve also kicked around the idea of dropping the phony hitch in back and build a “basket” of sorts to slide SUP or kayaks into and haul just under the frame rails.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel