Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
Skins44

hole in Camper "Stone Guard" front diamond plate

i had mentioned in one of my previous posts (on another topic) that i had accidentally lowered my trailer onto my hitch only to realize one of my stabilizers was leaning against the trailer (one of many 1st year mistakes). I caught it before it poked completely through to my storage area, however it made a hole that required immediate attention. It was not raining, or wet, on the roads so i made the 1 1/2 hour ride home without worry. I quickly went to work with a temporary patch:

1. filled the hole with automotive JB weld and let dry
2. Covered the JB weld with a piece of flex seal tape
3. Used a thin layer of automotive caulk around the edges of the flex seal tape
4. Sprayed flex seal leak stopper over the taped area extending about 2 inches beyond the taped area (about 8" x 8")

It actually looks decent as well since the stone guard is black and so is the flex seal. It appears a little dull where i sprayed the seal. I am also confident with the integrity of my fix, however I really want to replace my stone guard long term. It is black diamond plate pattern which i believe is plastic.

Any thoughts on DIY replacement? Videos? Suggestions?

as always, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper hole.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	20727  

2017 Outback 276UBH
2010 F150 Lariat
Skins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Skins44

did i stump the forum lol?

2017 Outback 276UBH
2010 F150 Lariat
Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Cyberian

Not sure of a source for black bright tread but I ordered a standard aluminum bright tread rock guard from Trekwood when I bought new siding & stickers to fix hail damage and added it mostly because I could (our Summerland didn't have it before). They come cut to fit and pre-bent.

Apparently, whoever crated our shipment either didn't know or couldn't get the pieces apart, but I ended up with three new bright tread aluminum rock guard panels

On edit- they have your black rock guard

https://www.trekwood.com/products/60...-D-22-Black-TE
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Cyberian

If I remember correctly, the siding goes on from the top down and the rock guard is the last on/ first off- so you'd only have to take the corner trim loose high enough to get the rock guard out. It just slips into the receiving bend in the siding panel above it and staples into the corner studs and bottom plate.

The hardest thing for me when I replaced the whole front siding was getting the stickers on in the right spots and bubble free.
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Skins44

Thank you Cyberian! Much appreciated

2017 Outback 276UBH
2010 F150 Lariat