Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

Fresh water tank crack repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnftravel View Post
Well after several days of searching and looking for repair tips for a cracked fresh water tank at the drain hole area I finally fixed it.
We have a 2017 keystone Bullet crossfire 2070bh.
Last season we noticed the fresh water holding tank was leaking.
First I was going to buy a new fresh water holding tank and decided to check into repairs and found that a electric plastic welder would work for this project.
My neighbor mentioned that he had one so I gave it a try and it worked out great.
It not only heated the plastic and sealed with the plastic rods it actually stiff and the bottom of the drain area and made it more solid and we no longer have a crack project took me approximately one hour to do.
I used a Mini-Weld Model 7 Airless Plastic Welder model #URE5700HT
If I didn’t have one I would’ve went out and purchased it for around $170 it is well worth every penny it will repair almost any plastic there is cracks holes whatever you need to fix this thing seems to do a great job I’m very pleased with it.
Some may say repairing freshwater holding tank’s won’t work but from what I’ve seen and what this little machine can do I beg to differ. I put about 15 to 18 gallons of water in it after the project was repaired and I have not had a drop of water leak out at all today so far so good will let everybody know down the road how I made out.
From what I read on purchasing a new tank was the issue with taking the old one out because of the straps being screwed in from the top side and the amount of time and effort it would’ve been would’ve needed to replace the tank this repair was a much better solution.
Happy campers in Bardstown Kentucky
That’s really cool! Congrats
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Bnftravel

Fresh water tank crack repair

Well after several days of searching and looking for repair tips for a cracked fresh water tank at the drain hole area I finally fixed it.
First I was going to buy a new fresh water holding tank and decided to check into repairs and found that a electric plastic welder would work for this project.
My neighbor mentioned that he had one so I gave it a try and it worked out great.
It not only heated the plastic and sealed it with the plastic rods it actually stiffened the bottom of the drain area and made it more solid and we no longer have a crack. The project took me approximately one hour to do.
If I didn’t have one I would’ve went out and purchased it for around $170.00. It is well worth every penny and it will repair almost any plastic there is like cracks holes or whatever you need to fix that is plastic. This thing seems to do a great job and I’m very pleased with it.
Some may say repairing freshwater holding tank’s won’t work but from what I’ve seen and what this little machine can do I beg to differ. I put about 15 to 18 gallons of water in it after the crack was repaired and I have not had a drop of water leak out at all today. So far so good and will let everybody know down the road how I made out after a few trips.
From what I read on purchasing a new tank was the issue with taking the old one out because of the straps being screwed in from the top side and the amount of time and effort it would’ve been would’ve needed to replace the tank. This repair was a much better solution.
Happy campers in Kentucky
Bnftravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
ADQ K9

Quote:
It not only heated the plastic and sealed it with the plastic rods it actually stiffened the bottom of the drain area and made it more solid and we no longer have a crack. The project took me approximately one hour to do.
If I didn’t have one I would’ve went out and purchased it for around $170.00. It is well worth every penny and it will repair almost any plastic there is like cracks holes or whatever you need to fix that is plastic. This thing seems to do a great job and I’m very pleased with it.
Some may say repairing freshwater holding tank’s won’t work but from what I’ve seen and what this little machine can do I beg to differ. I put about 15 to 18 gallons of water in it after the crack was repaired and I have not had a drop of water leak out at all today. So far so good and will let everybody know down the road how I made out after a few trips.
From what I read on purchasing a new tank was the issue with taking the old one out because of the straps being screwed in from the top side and the amount of time and effort it would’ve been would’ve needed to replace the tank. This repair was a much better solution.
Happy campers in Bardstown Kentucky
Thanks for sharing how can you not be happy in a place like Bardstown.

My under belly is enclosed and I have a piece of pex running out with a cap on it. if your set up is like this is there enough pex to cut and put a new valve on? Pictures would be helpful.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Bnftravel

Pictures of repair

Here are a few pictures of the repair
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BBE7537-95F5-4C2D-92CD-0134853B5C58.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	20818   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED8DC7E9-C2FA-42AC-A227-79D48EAFBDF7.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	20819   Click image for larger version

Name:	035FAB6D-AF91-48AC-98E2-CC3D14CADC57.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	20820  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
ADQ K9

Nice pictures are worth 1000 words when describing projects.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
gearhead

Very well done.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
66joej

Quote:
Hear are a few pictures of the repair
Nice repair. Did your fresh water tank not have a nipple with a cap for draining?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Bnftravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Nice repair. Did your fresh water tank not have a nipple with a cap for draining?
Yes, I think we hit a higher bridge than the road over a creek or driving up to a road from a lower grass parking area and that is what I think cracked the tank outside the drain plug. The hard spout with the drain twist end was sticking down about 2 inches under the tank and it cought the road or bridge. I decided after the repair it would just be easier to put in a flat plug rather than a spout with en end cap. When we need to drain the tank I will just take the plug out.
ACTUALLY when do we really need to drain the tank? Just before Wintering. It’s only fresh water and can drain out on the ground.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Our tank drains the same as yours, I installed a 90 degree elbow and a piece of half inch PEX with a 1/4 turn valve on the end. I routed it from the bottom of the tank to the back wall of the trailer where all I need to do to empty the FWT is reach behind the bumper and twist the valve. Easy mod and it's all tucked way up next to the trailer so it won't get damaged easily. I can't take any pictures now (can't get into the pole barn) but will in a couple weeks if needed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Bnftravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our tank drains the same as yours, I installed a 90 degree elbow and a piece of half inch PEX with a 1/4 turn valve on the end. I routed it from the bottom of the tank to the back wall of the trailer where all I need to do to empty the FWT is reach behind the bumper and twist the valve. Easy mod and it's all tucked way up next to the trailer so it won't get damaged easily. I can't take any pictures now (can't get into the pole barn) but will in a couple weeks if needed.
Sounds like a great idea. Next time I’m at Lowes I’ll see what they have and may do that as well.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Excellent idea.

We recently vaulted a ceiling in our house and when the existing ceiling was removed there was a 20 foot hot water line going across the space.

I went to HD and they were out of the 25 foot 1/2 inch PEX packages, so they sold me 100 feet for the same price... I have lots of PEX for projects now

The problem will be pulling the coroplast to get to the drain fitting... maybe I could just put the 90 on the existing line...

-Brian
Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Lee

Quote:
Hi.... This is a Mod I would like to do. Is the 1/4 turn valve a positive lock type? If not.... Have you ever had any problems with the valve opening from vibrations while driving?

Thanks
Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

There are many different approaches to adding a drain valve to a fresh water tank. Here are some of them.

I used an available RV drain valve with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch barb. It's slow to drain the tank, for me a "good thing" because I don't want to wash away the gravel where I park my RV during the summer.

Here's a photo of the valve I used, available here: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22223-D...20256663&psc=1 and some photos of what is currently under your trailer and ways to improve it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	21090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRAIN A.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	21091   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRAIN.jpg
Views:	1415