Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
Susanna

Cool Has anyone here used a lawyer against Keystone?

We have a problem with the fiberglass walls of the RV. It's a 296 FRS 2015. We took delivery in June 2016. May 2017, we noticed small circles of the finish that had popped open, almost like a nail head poking through. This was reported to Keystone, and they approved the repair. We wanted to use the FW, so the repairs were scheduled for the fall. The whole back wall was replaced. This spring, one of the side walls is doing the exact same thing. But now Keystone is not helping. Saying that it's from water damage...but the dealer has said that there is absolutely no signs of water damage, that it's a problem with the fiberglass. Back to Keystone..they replied....get a lawyer!!

Has anyone here had to do that...and what was the outcome? We have NEVER used a lawyer before for dealings with companies, and we don't want to undergo a huge expense w/o much hope of a positive outcome.
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I would talk to someone else at Keystone first. Maybe file a complaint with the BBB naming Keystone and the dealer. Good luck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Who were you talking to at Keystone that would tell you to "get a lawyer"? I highly doubt any "customer service rep" or even a manager would, or have the authority to make that comment. If they did I'm sure they would lose their job.

On the other side, did you imply to someone at Keystone via your wording that their only option was to comply with your wishes or go to court? Having dealt with them many times, I haven't seen that their response is to encourage owners to go to court if they have a problem, or recurring problem. Maybe decline and ignore, but not encourage you to litigate.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Canonman

I gotta agree with Danny but here's the sad truth. Big corporations like Keystone/Thor have legal "staff" already bought and paid for. The usual tactic is to grind on you and your "by the hour" attorney until the legal fees and frustration just don't add up to what the fight is worth. It's usually a long expensive road to nowhere.
Had some experience with this being on the big corporation end. The outcome made me sick and I subsequently resigned over the policy that was being argued.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7378 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	18396  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You are right. I was in the corporate world as well and we had an entire law dept. full of lawyers on the payroll. I don't recall any individual ever trying to sue us simply because of what you said; the company lawyers can be in a courtroom or office; they get paid either way and drag it out as long as possible. The individual is paying an ever increasing amount out of his pocket as he tries to keep persevering until he goes broke or gives up. You have to weigh the potential benefit against the potential cost.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Susanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Who were you talking to at Keystone that would tell you to "get a lawyer"? I highly doubt any "customer service rep" or even a manager would, or have the authority to make that comment. If they did I'm sure they would lose their job.

On the other side, did you imply to someone at Keystone via your wording that their only option was to comply with your wishes or go to court? Having dealt with them many times, I haven't seen that their response is to encourage owners to go to court if they have a problem, or recurring problem. Maybe decline and ignore, but not encourage you to litigate.
The first question asked was, are you working with a lawyer? Hubby said, no, not at all, we want to find a solution together.....and they ended up saying, sorry...nothing to do...send us a letter through your lawyer, then we'll talk!! We were shocked!
Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
The first question asked was, are you working with a lawyer? Hubby said, no, not at all, we want to find a solution together.....and they ended up saying, sorry...nothing to do...send us a letter through your lawyer, then we'll talk!! We were shocked!
IMHO use your dealer. He is your best advocate. From your original post it sounds like he agrees with the problem being with the manufacturer of the FRS.
If the dealer is wiling to work with you he can make a significant case to the manufacturer and hopefully get the resolution you need. Another option might be to contact RV Resolutions at Trailer Life. They seem to have a pretty good track record for getting manufacturer's attention.
Best of Luck to You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7619 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	18398  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna View Post
We have a problem with the fiberglass walls of the RV. It's a 296 FRS 2015. We took delivery in June 2016. May 2017, we noticed small circles of the finish that had popped open, almost like a nail head poking through.

Do you have a picture of the defect? I am fighting with them now over my Alpine. Here is my issue:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=32452
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Susanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
do you have a picture of the defect? I am fighting with them now over my alpine. Here is my issue:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=32452
exactly!!!

http://www.everything-about-rving.co...motorhome.html
Old 09-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
packnrat

from what i have been reading about keystone/thore/etc. i am glad i did not drop $66, grand on a new montana fifth-wheel.

think i will just rip apart my old one ( in about 5 years) and rebuild it from the frame up.
so far i have had my sunny brook for 18 years, and only time in the shop was for the awning. sure some plastic trim stuff failed.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone