Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
BamaRam

Is this front cap sealed correctly?

Since this is the first cap seal I've looked at, I'm clueless.

The sealant and transition piece appear to be able to prevent leaks, but I'm concerned about pooling water freezing, expanding, and breaking things. The two close up pics are typical of all the sealant voids you can see in the other two pics.

Should I be worried and is this a warranty issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	16933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	16934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	16935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	16936  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Retired Copper

All I know is if I saw that I would ask too. Mine has a solid 3 1/2 to a 4 inch solid run of decor, but mine is also laminated siding and cap.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Canonman

I'd run down to the closest RV supply and pick up at least two tubes of Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Run a thick bead over the entire length of that cap/roof seal, Thick!!
Then using a paper towel smooth it all down especially into the voids.
Chuckster may have a better suggestion but that's what I'd do and soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1570 (1).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	16938  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
BamaRam

I'm wondering if I need to cover it with a strip of Eternabond.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
I'm wondering if I need to cover it with a strip of Eternabond.
NO!!!!

Common to see that type of installation at the screw rail. If you do anything, just cover it all with Lap sealant.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
NO!!!!

Common to see that type of installation at the screw rail. If you do anything, just cover it all with Lap sealant.

Gotcha. Off to the RV store in the morning.

Thanks to all!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Retired Copper

And that`s why we got Chuckster to keep us all straight. Thanks again Cuckster
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #8
Mikendebbie

Quote:
NO!!!!

Chuckster - Just curious about your “NO” answer.
Is is “no - use dicor to improve and infill the seal” or
“No - seal with dicor or before eternabond” or
“No - never use eternabond on front cap joint -dicor will do the trick”
Why not caulk then cover with eternabond?

I just made all of that up but I want to understand better. We all have front cap joints to maintain and watch. I have had one go bad in the past and cause delamination from a leak.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
NO!!!!

The reason, because some will want to know, is that the Eternabond tape is, PERMANENT. If you needed to do a removal of the front cap or peel the roof membrane back, you've made a hard job into a really tough job because of the tape.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

No to eternabond tape. As stated above, it makes any future minor repairs a major repair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #11
jkohler70

I'm fully in the Eternabond camp. I'll take my chances on needing "future repairs". 2 years ago I inspected my roof and the caulk looked good. Then I had a leak at the front cap. Caulked everywhere that looked like a possible source of the leak. Still leaked. Again I caulked everywhere that looked like a possible source. Still leaked.
Applied Eternabond. No more leaking.
The damage caused by water intrusion is a far greater concern to me than the difficulty of a possible future repair.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
BamaRam

Dicor type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'd run down to the closest RV supply and pick up at least two tubes of Dicor self leveling lap sealant.
I was looking into this type sealant and found (according to Dicor) my roof membrane is going to need Dicor Ultra that requires primer. I pulled the bathroom vent fascia and found TPO without fleece backing.

I will not be sealing the membrane, only filling voids in the existing sealant.

Do I need Dicor or Dicor Ultra or something else? I really don't want to buy the primer unless I really need it because it's pricey.

Edit: After reading the owner's manual and other info I'm pretty sure I have an Alpha Superflex TPO Roof. And I think this is where I should be looking for maintenance. http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

So maybe I've answered my own question or maybe I'm out in left field. ??
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

This is my opinion YMMV.....

The differences in Alpha Systems and DICOR sealants is very similar to the discussion about whether Rotella is better than Motorcraft diesel oil. Some will say to only use OEM oil, some say, "It doesn't matter." And some will cry " doom and gloom"if you even attempt to use Rotella....

It's the same with self leveling sealant. The problem is how the sealant "outgasses" the dispersant solvent. In large amounts there may be a problem, but in the mount we apply to reseal a roof seam, there just isn't any danger of damaging the TPO membrane from chemical dissolution caused by "outgassing"....

Until last year DICOR recommended their sealant for TPO roofs. I would guess the reason for the change has more to do with Alpha Systems complaining about product infringement than DICOR product failure...

Again, YMMV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
Canonman

Quote:
I was looking into this type sealant and found (according to Dicor) my roof membrane is going to need Dicor Ultra that requires primer. I pulled the bathroom vent fascia and found TPO without fleece backing.

I will not be sealing the membrane, only filling voids in the existing sealant.

Do I need Dicor or Dicor Ultra or something else? I really don't want to buy the primer unless I really need it because it's pricey.

Edit: After reading the owner's manual and other info I'm pretty sure I have an Alpha Superflex TPO Roof. And I think this is where I should be looking for maintenance. http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

Our roof is TPO as well. I've had no problems simply cleaning the area I'm resealing with alcohol and using the self leveling Dicor on the flat surfaces.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:

Yep, you can get the Alpha sealant on Amazon. It's the same price as Dicor, and is the material designed for your roof. I do understand John's comments about their revised statement on their tube possible being related to lawsuits. I will just use what the manual suggests to use and gives me a stronger case of winning a potential battle in the event I need to fight for a roof problem withing the 10 year period specified. And for the exact same price as Dicor too- not like the Alpha sealant is 200% more expensive or anything. Again, just my preference.
https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Systems...ystems+sealant
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is my opinion YMMV.....

It's the same with self leveling sealant. The problem is how the sealant "outgasses" the dispersant solvent. In large amounts there may be a problem, but in the mount we apply to reseal a roof seam, there just isn't any danger of damaging the TPO membrane from chemical dissolution caused by "outgassing"....

Again, YMMV.....
This is good information, as I was not aware of this being the primary failure mode. I always assumed it was due to the sealant not perfectly adhering to the different surface material, regardless of how well it was prepared, just due to the chemical structure. Kind of how wood glue will not glue metal to metal, no matter how well it is prepared. Thanks for the good info John.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Yep, you can get the Alpha sealant on Amazon. It's the same price as Dicor, and is the material designed for your roof. I do understand John's comments about their revised statement on their tube possible being related to lawsuits. I will just use what the manual suggests to use and gives me a stronger case of winning a potential battle in the event I need to fight for a roof problem withing the 10 year period specified. And for the exact same price as Dicor too- not like the Alpha sealant is 200% more expensive or anything. Again, just my preference.
https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Systems...ystems+sealant
Just a quick FYI!
You mentioned a 10 year warranty. The most common issue with whichever type of roof material you may have is faulty installation by factory installers, which by the way is NOT covered by the manufacturer of whatever roof material you may have, so I wouldn't worry about voiding the warranty by adding any caulk, tape or whatever you choose during you maintenance. The main thing is no leaks.
The next biggest roof issue is limbs or other obstacles gouging or tearing the membrane, which fortunately IS covered by your insurance.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Actually most common failure is maintenance. Owners manuals tells you that customer is responsible for inspecting/maintaining the roof. Warranty is for the actual membrane.

I see it every day.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #19
Gegrad

Quote:
Actually most common failure is maintenance. Owners manuals tells you that customer is responsible for inspecting/maintaining the roof. Warranty is for the actual membrane.

I see it every day.
Yep, that's why I want to use use what the manufacturer says to use for sealing any spots- the Alpha sealant. In the unlikely event of a membrane failure I want to be able to document I used the recommended product. Easy for them to say "You used Dicor, that is not recommended for a TPO roof" Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Read the Alpha Systems "pro rated" warranty carefully !!!

First, it does say the warranty is for either 10 or 12 years, depending on the RV manufacturer's "deal" with AS....

Next, it is "pro rated" meaning they pay for any material failure (no installation or repair costs will be paid) on a "diminishing scale" and the last time I looked at it, the reimbursement was 40% of the material costs at 5 years from date of purchase. The material, if you buy it from Camping World, (reportedly the most expensive place to buy RV parts) the cost of 35' of TPO roofing is $782 https://www.campingworld.com/superfl...m-95x-35-white

If your trailer is 5 years old and the reimbursement rate from Alpha Systems is for the purchase price from CW, you'll get approximately $313 toward the $8000 cost to replace the roof at almost any RV repair center. Chances are they will use their "wholesale cost" to calculate the reimbursement and the actual amount you receive for a 100% failure would be less than that $313.

So, don't be disillusioned into thinking you're "protecting your investment" by preserving the AS warranty..... Unless you have a total membrane failure in the first year or two, you'll get, for the most part, no help from AS based on their pro-rated warranty. And, it's not transferrable, so if your trailer is used or "previously titled" then you have no AS warranty even for membrane product failure.

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led