Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 10:07 AM   #1
uechikid

Tire Brand Help

I have a Bullet 269RLS with Trailer King 205/75-15 on it. I’ve had 2 blow outs with this brand and want to replace all the tires with a different brand. I thought I wanted Michelin but they don’t make tires in that size. I was all set to get Goodyears but the guy at the tire store said he’s not a fan of Goodyear trailer tires. So, here I am looking for advice from actual users.
Thanks.
2008 Royal Star Venture
uechikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
gearhead

Carlisle HD (newer design) or Goodyear Endurance. The old Goodyear Marathons left a bad taste in many mouths.
Carlisle will be much cheaper than the Goodyears. I had the Carlisle’s on a previous Montana HC. Currently have them on a 2 axle boat trailer and a utility trailer. No issues.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
notanlines

Carlisle, Maxxis, Goodyear are all good replacement brands. Your present brand is about as bad as they get!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

What load range are the tires you have? I assume (hope) they are LRD. I have used Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires and had great luck. They make 3-4 different lines but the Radial Trail HD is the best. Goodyear Endurance comes in that size as well. Don't confuse them with Goodyear Marathons, probably what the tire guy was referring to. Lots of folks still tie those terrible Marathons to Goodyear "trailer tires".

On the Discount tire site the Carlisle's sell for 101 the Endurance sells for 161 so a bit more spendy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

I use Carlisle Radial Trail HD (mine are load range E) and buy them online from Walmart. Walmart has the best prices but I take my camper to a local tire shop for mounting the new tires. If you use Discount Tire, they do price match and their online prices are better than the ones in the store. The tire size you have in LRD is $72 at Walmart online:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...0&from=/search
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
I have a Bullet 269RLS with Trailer King 205/75-15 on it. I’ve had 2 blow outs with this brand and want to replace all the tires with a different brand. I thought I wanted Michelin but they don’t make tires in that size. I was all set to get Goodyears but the guy at the tire store said he’s not a fan of Goodyear trailer tires. So, here I am looking for advice from actual users.
Thanks.
For "clarity" are your tires 205 75R14 LRD or 205 75R15 LRD ?????

The specs I have available list the tire diameter as 14", not 15".

There are no "heavier duty weight ratings for 14" tires than what you have, so "just replacing the tires with a better brand" is still going to leave you "vulnerable to being close to maximum weight or overweight on that size tire.

The 205 75R14 LRD is rated to carry 2040 pounds @ 65 PSI That "seems like a lot of safety margin when you compensate for the 640 pounds of tongue weight, but as you've seen, blowouts do happen and sometimes, when your trailer is "at the top of the weight rating (7600 GVWR) for the tires, changing to a better, more reliable brand may not be the "fix you need"...

Here's the link to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire specifications: https://www.carlstar.com/our-product...dial-trail-hd/. They are the same as Goodyear Endurance specs and the same as your Trailer King specs.... Tire load ratings are, for the most part, standardized throughout the industry. So, upgrading will get you a better quality tire, but not a better load capacity rating.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #7
Max23

Anyone have thoughts on the Hankook Kynergy ST? Hankook usually makes a pretty good tire.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

There are no "heavier duty weight ratings for 14" tires than what you have, so "just replacing the tires with a better brand" is still going to leave you "vulnerable to being close to maximum weight or overweight on that size tire.

The 205 75R14 LRD is rated to carry 2040 pounds @ 65 PSI That "seems like a lot of safety margin when you compensate for the 640 pounds of tongue weight, but as you've seen, blowouts do happen and sometimes, when your trailer is "at the top of the weight rating (7600 GVWR) for the tires, changing to a better, more reliable brand may not be the "fix you need"...

Here's the link to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire specifications: https://www.carlstar.com/our-product...dial-trail-hd/. They are the same as Goodyear Endurance specs and the same as your Trailer King specs.... Tire load ratings are, for the most part, standardized throughout the industry. So, upgrading will get you a better quality tire, but not a better load capacity rating.....
Saw one for sale online (2020 model) and it had 14" rims ST205/75R14.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the Hankook Kynergy ST? Hankook usually makes a pretty good tire.
The Hankook Kynergy ST is a passenger car tire. Max load for the 205 75R14 is 1521 pounds. By comparison, the "trailer rated ST tire" in the same size comes in LRC (1760 pounds@50PSI) and LRD (2040 pounds@65PSI)

While this size in the Kynergy line is not listed as a "P metric tire" some of the other sizes are listed as "P" series... I'd consider these to be "passenger car tires", not "trailer rated ST tires".....

In this tire, the "ST" likely signifies "Standard Touring All Season Tire" since that's the way they describe it at the link above.

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/ti...y/st-h735.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HANKOOK KINERGY ST.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	44525  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-11-2023, 03:41 PM   #10
Max23

Ya, I saw that after I posted. I was looking up trailer tires and saw the ST and didn't really dig into it until it was to late. Lol. Sorry.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:46 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Ya, I saw that after I posted. I was looking up trailer tires and saw the ST and didn't really dig into it until it was to late. Lol. Sorry.
At least you're "involved in trying to help".. No problem and certainly no need for any apology !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Hard to believe a tire company would use ST in marketing a car tire. Mistaking those tires for a Special Trailer tire is a mistake anyone could make.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:37 AM   #13
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:

Hi John.
Your reply has slightly deflated my optimism on replacing my TK tires with Carlisle Tires for the 14" rim. I'm a couple weeks away from ordering replacement tires, since I still have my original tires, and I'm 100% sure my DW will be against replacing the wheels...
What options do I have, other than never max loading out this coach?
Thanks In Advance.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:50 AM   #14
Max23

I may be wrong, and usually am, lol! However I look at it as whatever you buy, name brand vs non. Tools are a good example. There are quality versions and non quality versions of the same thing. The difference is not necessarily in the size or strength of the item, the difference is in how its made and what components are used to make it. Not all same size tires are created equal. There are many many posts on this forum where someone has stated to the affect that I had tire x and nothing but trouble, switched to tire z and no problems since. Not saying you would never have a problem again by switching brands but I certainly beleive it would help. Maintaining tires is of huge importance. Proper pressures at all times, covering when not in use etc etc. All comes into play.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:14 AM   #15
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
I may be wrong, and usually am, lol! However I look at it as whatever you buy, name brand vs non. Tools are a good example. There are quality versions and non quality versions of the same thing. The difference is not necessarily in the size or strength of the item, the difference is in how its made and what components are used to make it. Not all same size tires are created equal. There are many many posts on this forum where someone has stated to the affect that I had tire x and nothing but trouble, switched to tire z and no problems since. Not saying you would never have a problem again by switching brands but I certainly beleive it would help. Maintaining tires is of huge importance. Proper pressures at all times, covering when not in use etc etc. All comes into play.
Your post couldn't have come at a better time, because I agree with you that a name brand can have a reputation for quality, while others are manufactured to just get the unit from A to B, and maybe C.
I've had no issues with my original TK tires, which I closely monitor pressures. I wash them and inspect them after every trip, and are covered when parked in my yard, but I need piece of mind too, without having to resize the wheel.
Thanks for your post, because it really helped!!!
Old 07-12-2023, 06:11 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
Hi John.
Your reply has slightly deflated my optimism on replacing my TK tires with Carlisle Tires for the 14" rim. I'm a couple weeks away from ordering replacement tires, since I still have my original tires, and I'm 100% sure my DW will be against replacing the wheels...
What options do I have, other than never max loading out this coach?
Thanks In Advance.
The purpose of my post was not to "deflate your optimism", but rather to illustrate that you are currently "using the highest load rating 14" tire on your trailer"... There is no 14" ST tire currently on the market that you can install to increase your load capacity. Many people with 15" tires will "go up to LRE tires" and many with 16" wheels will "go up to LRF or LRG tires to "beef up their tire load capacity"... That option is not available to you with 14" tires.

That brings us back to my question in my post: For "clarity" are your tires 205 75R14 LRD or 205 75R15 LRD ?????

Since you have confirmed that you have 14" wheels, the only solution available (using current wheels) is to upgrade to a better brand. But realize that the load rating is still going to be close enough that you'll need to manage what you put in the trailer for trips. You don't have a lot of "spare load capacity" so your only option is to install the best brand (reputation for reliability) tires you can get your hands on... Typically, that seems to be either Carlisle Radial Trail HD or Goodyear Endurance ST tires. They should improve your tire reliability. If they don't, then IMO, the alternative is to go up to 15" wheels and install tires with more load capacity.

Hopefully the "better reliability of Carlisle or Goodyear will be all you need, but having an alternative solution to keep in the back of your mind is never a "bad thing to consider"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-12-2023, 06:59 AM   #17
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
The purpose of my post was not to "deflate your optimism", but rather to illustrate that you are currently "using the highest load rating 14" tire on your trailer"... There is no 14" ST tire currently on the market that you can install to increase your load capacity. Many people with 15" tires will "go up to LRE tires" and many with 16" wheels will "go up to LRF or LRG tires to "beef up their tire load capacity"... That option is not available to you with 14" tires.

That brings us back to my question in my post: For "clarity" are your tires 205 75R14 LRD or 205 75R15 LRD ?????

Since you have confirmed that you have 14" wheels, the only solution available (using current wheels) is to upgrade to a better brand. But realize that the load rating is still going to be close enough that you'll need to manage what you put in the trailer for trips. You don't have a lot of "spare load capacity" so your only option is to install the best brand (reputation for reliability) tires you can get your hands on... Typically, that seems to be either Carlisle Radial Trail HD or Goodyear Endurance ST tires. They should improve your tire reliability. If they don't, then IMO, the alternative is to go up to 15" wheels and install tires with more load capacity.

Hopefully the "better reliability of Carlisle or Goodyear will be all you need, but having an alternative solution to keep in the back of your mind is never a "bad thing to consider"....
Your response make all the sense in the world. Thanks for that!!!
Even with my original TK tires, I 100% know that they are my weakest point, which is why I'm very aware of my cargo weights, and will continue to do so.

And your suggestion for the Carlisle ST205/75R14D, this is the direction I'm heading.

I truly appreciate your wisdom and knowledge, as always.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:21 AM   #18
uechikid

The tire size is ST 205/75R 15. 107\102M
2008 Royal Star Venture
Old 07-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #19
uechikid

There are also some markings that read, DOT 1AD B3RT1
2008 Royal Star Venture
Old 07-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
The tire size is ST 205/75R 15. 107\102M

You have D rated tires which is the highest you can go in that size. The LRD tires should be enough for your trailer reference post #4.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote